cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS new $600 rule

I ocassionally sell on eBay to make extra money. Now that the rules have change and we have to report to IRS starting at $600, should I get a business license (despite EBay not requiring it)? Or else how do you keep track of everything? I am not too familiar with what it takes to run a business or what it now means to ocassionally sell on EBay! Part of me thinks that now you must have a business license, a software system like quickbooks to keep track of my cost: cost per item, packing materials, miles to store and USPS, etc and number of items sold and possibly more. Please someone help me figure this out as I need to start making extra money. Thanks

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

IRS new $600 rule

nothing "new" about it.

Sellers are to report all income no matter what the $ amount.

The only change was the 1099 is now sent to the seller and IRS for any amount over $599

You should talk to a tax professional.

Asking about taxes online you will get many opinions and none of them know your situation.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

You don't have to keep track if it per item. You can just track money in and money out. Many occasional part time sellers are often able to get their tax liability down to near zero once every writeoff is considered.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

IRS has not changed their rules on when you are suppose to claim your income on your federal tax report.  We have always had to or been required to report our income, all of it.  With or without a form like a 1099K, you have always been responsible to report your income.

You have a MAJOR misunderstand like so many others. The threshold on an IRS FORM, ANY FORM, does not set the minimum for reporting income to IRS. The 1099K is merely a FORM and nothing more.

When the minimum threshold on the FORM was 20K, that met that only those that made above that got the FORM. What it DID NOT mean was that anyone below that 20K did not have to report their income to the IRS. And that is likely what will get some people in trouble because they assumed something that was not ever based in FACT. IRS does NOT HAVE a minimum requirement on reporting your income. So even when the FORM threshold was 20K, those that made 15K, 10K, 5K, 1K, etc. were still responsible for reporting their income.

Everyone needs to remember that the 1099K is ONLY A FORM and nothing more. It does NOT set the minimum requirements to report income to the IRS. That would be like saying if you don't receive a 1099K for ANY type of income you receive, you don't have to report your income and that is ridiculous. The 1099K only covers internet related payments. It doesn't cover when people are paid by check or any other form. So to think that the 1099K has the power to set the minimum standard for all of IRS, all those people that are NOT paid via the internet would not have to claim their income, which we all should know is not true.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

@cccchango86  You do not have to have a business license to sell here. If you are selling here under your name (no DBA, LLC, etc.), just keep track of COG and expenses and as @klhmdg stated retain or seek advice of a tax professional to guide you. It sounds like this may be new to you to as far as reporting  sales/gross income so I would HIGHLY suggest you go through a CPA to file (at least first year) until you fully understand your options.

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

You do not need to have a business license.  You can operate what is called a Sole Proprietorship, which is what I've done for the past 20+ years.

If you are going to sell on a regular basis, you can file for a business license with your state.  Then also get the Resale certificate so you can purchase your inventory without paying sales taxes.  Most states have small business credits, so it may not even cost you anything or a very small amount.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

Hi and welcome. 

Below is a link to eBay’s Help pages regarding tax liability info. Might get you pointed in the right direction.

TBH, sounds like you already have a running start on the situation. 

Sellers shouldn’t panic, but keep in mind that reportable income does not necessarily mean taxable income when potential expenses, offsets, and itemized deductions are applied.

Wish you the best of luck!!

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/2022-changes-to-ebay-and-your-1099-k

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

I would check the requirements of your state.  In California, they have a requirement for a resale license after a number of sales made.  Each state has regulations to the types of merchandise and the amount of income.  If in doubt, talk to a Accountant and or business lawyer.  Some will allow a free 1st time consultation.  Uncle Sam will sooner or later want there share.  It's not wise to try to skirt it.  I myself have a state sales permit and business license which give me some perks to others who don't.  The last thing you need is a visit from a IRS agent.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

@cccchango86 wrote:

I ocassionally sell on eBay to make extra money. Now that the rules have change and we have to report to IRS starting at $600, should I get a business license (despite EBay not requiring it)? Or else how do you keep track of everything? I am not too familiar with what it takes to run a business or what it now means to ocassionally sell on EBay! Part of me thinks that now you must have a business license, a software system like quickbooks to keep track of my cost: cost per item, packing materials, miles to store and USPS, etc and number of items sold and possibly more. Please someone help me figure this out as I need to start making extra money. Thanks

Don't waste money on Quickbooks... I'm a bookkeeper by trade, and Quickbooks does nothing except make a lot of busy work for me logging receipts for my clients.

For personal business stuff, I use spreadsheets that I customize to fit my needs (mainly doing a very big long list of receipts and sorting them out by category at year end.) Makes for an hour or two of logging stuff (mostly shipping receipts) each month, with a few days needed off work to sort it out in January.

C.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

@gregs_collection wrote:

I would check the requirements of your state.  In California, they have a requirement for a resale license after a number of sales made.  Each state has regulations to the types of merchandise and the amount of income.  If in doubt, talk to a Accountant and or business lawyer.  Some will allow a free 1st time consultation.  Uncle Sam will sooner or later want there share.  It's not wise to try to skirt it.  I myself have a state sales permit and business license which give me some perks to others who don't.  The last thing you need is a visit from a IRS agent.

This is great advice.  

STATE

1099-K FILING REQUIRED

DOES STRIPE FILE

FILING DUE DATE*

FILING THRESHOLD

IF ISSUED, PROVIDE STATE NUMBER

Alabama

State Portal

April 30

Same as IRS

Alaska

No

-

Arizona

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Arkansas

CFSF

Same as IRS

US$ 2.499,99

California

CFSF

Same as IRS

Same as IRS

Colorado

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Connecticut

State Portal

April 30

Same as IRS

Connecticut Tax Registration Number

Delaware

No

-

District of Columbia

State Portal

Same as IRS

US$ 599,99

Florida

State Portal

April 30

Same as IRS

Georgia

If State Witholding

February 28

US$ 0

Hawaii

CFSF

Same as IRS

Same as IRS

Idaho

If State Witholding

February 28

US$ 0

Idaho Withholding Account Number

Illinois

State Portal

Same as IRS

US$ 1.000 and 4 transactions

Indiana

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Iowa

If State Witholding

February 15

US$ 0

Kansas

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Kansas Withholding Tax Account Number

Kentucky

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Louisiana

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Maine

No

-

Maryland

CFSF

Same as IRS

US$ 599,99

Maryland Central Registration Number

Massachusetts

State Portal

Same as IRS

US$ 599,99

Michigan

CFSF

Same as IRS

Same as IRS

Minnesota

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Mississippi

State Portal

February 28

US$ 600

Missouri

No

-

Montana

State Portal

Same as IRS

Same as IRS

Nebraska

No

-

Nevada

No

-

New Hampshire

No

-

New Jersey

CFSF

Same as IRS

US$ 999,99

New Mexico

CFSF

Same as IRS

Same as IRS

New York

State Portal

April 30

Same as IRS

North Carolina

State Portal

Same as IRS

Same as IRS

NC Withholding ID Number or EIN

North Dakota

No

-

Ohio

No

-

Oklahoma

No

-

Oregon

State Portal

Same as IRS

Same as IRS

Pennsylvania

No

-

Rhode Island

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 100

South Carolina

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

SC Withholding File Number or EIN

South Dakota

No

-

Tennessee

State Portal

April 30

Same as IRS

Texas

No

-

Utah

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Vermont

State Portal

April 30

US$ 599,99

Vermont Withholding Account Number

Virginia

State Portal

April 30

US$ 599,99

Washington

No

-

West Virginia

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Wisconsin

If State Witholding

Same as IRS

US$ 0

Wisconsin Withholding Tax Number**

Wyoming

No

-

https://stripe.com/docs/connect/1099-K

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

I have to agree.  I have a data base of my sales since I started in Microsoft Access, which isn't as hard to learn or program as one might think.  And I do have a couple of things I track on Excel worksheets.

This has served be well for about 24 years.  Now since Ebay has significantly upgraded the reports we can get, they make an excellent cross check for my numbers.

I encourage all sellers to NOT depend on Ebay reports only.  Keep your own books and use them as a cross check.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

Is this article true saying it's delayed to 2024?

Meaning you sell more than $599 in 2023 you don't get the 1099K?

Google search this to make the article come up:
$600 rule ebay delayed 2024 nasdaq 

"IRS Delays New $600 Reporting Rule for Gig Workers and Online Sellers to 2024: Here's What You Need to Know
If you are working as a freelancer, gig worker or side hustler, don't panic in 2023. The IRS extended more time for workers and online businesses to report income on 1099-k form to 2024. The Coalition for 1099-k fairness is looking fighting the IRS' plans to report income of $600 or more. There's a belief from major online "

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

Now that the rules have change and we have to report to IRS starting at $600

You are fundamentally mistaken. The $600 threshold is for EBAY to report the payments it processed on your behalf to the IRS via a 1099-K. It is not a threshold for what you have to report to the IRS on your taxes.

should I get a business license (despite EBay not requiring it)? Or else how do you keep track of everything?

I'm not sure I follow this logic. A business license will not help you keep track of anything.

Part of me thinks that now you must have a business license, a software system like quickbooks to keep track of my cost: cost per item, packing materials, miles to store and USPS, etc and number of items sold and possibly more

I keep track of all of that in a spreadsheet.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

@car_audio wrote:

Is this article true saying it's delayed to 2024?

Meaning you sell more than $599 in 2023 you don't get the 1099K?

Google search this to make the article come up:
$600 rule ebay delayed 2024 nasdaq 

"IRS Delays New $600 Reporting Rule for Gig Workers and Online Sellers to 2024: Here's What You Need to Know
If you are working as a freelancer, gig worker or side hustler, don't panic in 2023. The IRS extended more time for workers and online businesses to report income on 1099-k form to 2024. The Coalition for 1099-k fairness is looking fighting the IRS' plans to report income of $600 or more. There's a belief from major online "

What Article @car_audio .  So far the poster making this claim has not supported it with any link to any article.  And the IRS site still says it is $600 for 2023.

Oh, I found the article you are referring to.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/irs-delays-new-$600-reporting-rule-for-gig-workers-and-online-seller...

However I don't think you should count on this as the IRS has NOT updated their site.  The article was written in February of this year and now we are in mid August.  IRS has made no update to their site nor do I see any other articles saying what that article says.  I think they just got their years wrong.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/understanding-your-form-1099-k#:~:text=Payment%20apps%20and%20online%....

The good thing is the 1099K is MERELY a FORM and nothing more than a form.  With or without this form we are all responsible to claim our income to the IRS every year.  The form is merely informational.  

While this is a document for IRS for 2022 tax year, there is some really good info in it for those people that are selling personal property and how to account for it.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2023-06.pdf

Here is another one with helpful info.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/form-1099-k-frequently-asked-questions-general

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

IRS new $600 rule

The headline says, "IRS Delays Reporting $600 on 1099-k Forms Until 2024".  I'm pretty sure that article is referring to the delay in implementing the $600 threshold from 2022 to 2023, and then the  1099-K's for tax year 2023 will be issued in 2024.  The delay is the tax form not the tax year.   

Message 15 of 22
latest reply