cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INR case for item stuck at customs

I sent this item to a customer in Italy on Dec-9. (almost $300)

A few days ago he tells me that if the item does not arrive by Jan-3 he will request a refund since he is travelling abroad and he needs the item before that.

So today he opens a case for INR. The tracking clearly shows item is still in transit in Italy.

On the case, he says the item is at customs with "customs problems" so he want a refund.

Is there anything I can do ? Obvously I don't think I should refund just becase of the slow Italian post/customs and because he lost hes patience.

Will appreciate your advice.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: INR case for item stuck at customs

I too had Italy blocked due to their restrictions on what could be imported.  I mostly sold leather handbags/shoe which is on the top of their list

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

I just got off the phone with ebay, they told me "we can not extend cases time frame". I tried explaininng the delivery time takes longer due to the holidays but it did not seem to matter to them.

So this is really how this works ? if the item does not show "deliverd" on the tracking system until the estimated delivery date, the buyer just gets a refund ?

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Yes, that is how ebay works now.

I now operate on the selling practice that once I ship the item, there is nothing I can do if the buyer wants to steal it.  The best I can do is get the scammer on the radar of the PO and/or police.  Because of that, i rarely list and sell anything on ebay worth over $35 and if I do, I won't be out much if the item gets scammed from me.

(*Bleep*)
Message 18 of 33
latest reply

Not gonna help for the current situation, but based on what others have posted regarding import restrictions and customs duties for Italy, maybe for future reference the best bet to sell to Italy is to set up your listing so that Italian buyers will be serviced by eBay's Global Shipping Program (GSP).

All you have to do is get your item to Erlanger, KY.  If there are delays or customs SNAFUs, the GSP is left holding the bag, not you.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

@nmo029 wrote:

The tracking does not say "customs" anywhere, it's just the buyer in the case he opened.

I shipped musical instruments accecories for years to Italy and never had an issue with customs.

Can someone refer me to the restriction list you are taliking about ?

They are referring to the USPS list which is ridiculously dated, the list USPS has was accurate prior to 1992 before customs rules across the EU were harmonized.

While there are a few exceptions (agricultural products mainly) the current prohibited/restricted rules apply to all 28 EU countries.

Up to date information for the EU can be found here:

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/customs/prohibited-and-restricted-articles/2007-list-of-prohibited-...

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

Thanks, but I don't ship from the US.

Never had an issue with Italy and I have been selling these items for a few years now.

In this specific case, the type of item is not on the restrictred list in Italy.

Also, there's no evidence the item is at customs, the customer claims he asked at th epost office and they told him so, but I am really not sure about this. There was movment on the tracking system yesterday, he claims they told him it's in customs for 10 days already, whatever...

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

The buyer might be looking at the Italian post site which often gives more information than what you can see on eBay. 

I agree with the other poster than the USPS list of what is allowed to be shipped to Italy is outdated.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@chipper01work wrote:

About 10 years ago, on the eBay boards, I read that the best course of action for sellers was to block Italy and not sell there. That country and their customs issues were discussed at great lengths at that time. 

With well over 100 international transactions I have never shipped there even though I don't have them blocked. I guess I should count my blessings.

I've found that they have improved delivery times in the last few years. I don't ship there often but haven't had any problems doing so for years.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

I chcked on the Italian site of course, item is in movment.

Really don't get how this thing works. The Italian post is slow, so the seller needs to take a hit.

The buyer said he is leaving the country on Jan-3 and he wants to be refunded by that date. The case deadline is Jan-6. Can he leave negative feedback if I give him a refund on the 5th ?

What happens if the tracking shows that the item is available for pickup but no deliverd ? do I still need to refund ?

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

You could call CS, point out that the item is in Customs, and ask for an extension.  Possibly point out that it can take up to six weeks for delivery in Italy.

Ask what you can do to avoid the buyer getting a refund and they going to Customs to pick up the item, getting both money and item when they should not.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

I believe GSP has a hub in Great Britain.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

The nice lady I spoke with yesterday said they do not extend case dead lines.

Maybe I should try again...

Thing is, even if I do get the extention, the customer is leaving Italy on Jan-3, so he will not be able to release the item from customs or pick it up. In his mind, I owe him a refund by Jan-3, even though the last date for a refund is Jan-5.

I just don't want to get a negetive feedback along with losing the money and the item.

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

So now the tracking shows "In delivery" :

https://track.aftership.com/poste-italiane/RY400416295IL?

I need to responde by the end of the day. The buyer demanded the refund by the 3rd.

Any advice ? should I just reund and hope he is an honest person ?

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Call CS and point out the status of the tracking has changed.  Insist that you are eligible for an extension.  We've been told several times that if tracking shows movement the deadlines can be extended.  It may take more than one call.

The buyers travel schedule is NOT your problem, they knew the risks of it not arriving in time when they purchased.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 29 of 33
latest reply

I always put a disclaimer in my listings that say international shipping will take up to 6 weeks to arrive depending on customs handling. This will help lots.
Message 30 of 33
latest reply