cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I work at a thrift store we get so much but 90 percent gets tossed what should i look to keep

toys  clothes   i don't know  book s dumpsters full  tossed

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I work at a thrift store we get so much but 90 percent gets tossed what should i look to keep

Keep Anything That Is In Reasonable Or Better Condition!, Lucky You To Have Access To Free Inventory!, I Can't Believe They Toss As Much As They Do!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It really is unbelievable 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@charliebrown1978 

That is a lot of waste at 90%. I take it you do some of the pricing? Your going to have to roll up your sleeves and get cleaning some of the items that are being tossed.

I also work in a thrift ( in Nevada as well) and it can be a dirty job at times but I hate waste. I clean and spray, look for chips, cracks, test out tools, radios and price/ display jewelry.

I look for unusual items, bakelite jewelry, pyrex, good sneakers, old radios and transistors,  old college jerseys and old Thermos. Even though as a worker we get first pick, I always buy anything I bring home. I write down in detail and price paid and write a check out for it. This is for my record when I flip it and tax purposes as the thrift does not give receipts.

Don't forget to thumb thru those books also before tossing because of hidden cash can be found. I don't know why your store is throwing away books unless mold is present. 

Best to you and happy pickins.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

i volunteered at a church-run thrift many years ago ...... some of the crap that people donated was just that ... and the "older" ladies would put a lot of it out for sale "just because it was donated" .... thankfully they are a lot more picky now and a lot goes straight to a recycler ...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Leave the Gun. Take the Cannoli.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Do you mean what should you keep to sell on eBay, or what should you keep for you and your family?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply