cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was told oversized balisong that requires

2 hands to open is allowed on ebay. Why do they say its allowed and when  I post it up. Its removed and im told it's restricted. This happens a lot.  Ebay needs to hire a staff of people with product knowledge on knives.  I was told by customer service that i am allowed to post a knife.. so i post it up. Hr later, it restricted and removed. What a waste of time. Im sick of my ads being removed. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: I was told oversized balisong that requires

@kenjap wrote:

I did read the policy.  I wish it was as simple as you make it sound.  But its not. 

Allowed:

• Oversized balisong knives—the kind that require 2 hands to open

Allowed in some cases:

• Practice balisong or butterfly knives that have holes in the blade and can't be sharpened

Not Allowed:

• Balisong knives
  • Butterfly knives

@kenjap, I'm sorry, but you have completely misread the policy -- there is nothing in the policy that is anything like what you wrote.

Here is the actual policy. "Balisong", "oversized", "practice" and "two hands" are not mentioned anywhere. "Butterfly knives" are not permitted. As was already mentioned "Butterfly knife" is another name for a Balisong knife, so they are not permitted at all.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/knives-policy?id=5047

image.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

keep listing butterfly knifes and dont be selling on ebay at all>

Balisong = butterfly...thin eBay stupid???

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/knives-policy?id=5047 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@kenjap 

All you need to do is read the knife policy and you'll see they are not allowed.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@kenjap wrote:

Ebay needs to hire a staff of people with product knowledge on knives.  

Who will pay the salary of said staff? I'm sure that there lots of people lining up to give their time to do this. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I did read the policy.  I wish it was as simple as you make it sound.  But its not. 

Allowed:

Allowed in some cases:

• Practice balisong or butterfly knives that have holes in the blade and can't be sharpened

Not Allowed:

• Balisong knives
  • Butterfly knives
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

They can use the extra 2% that they take out from managed payments. Using paypal was a lot easier as well. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

What extra 2%?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@kenjap wrote:

Allowed:

Allowed in some cases:

Not Allowed:

• Balisong knives
  • Butterfly knives

@kenjap, I'm sorry, but you have completely misread the policy -- there is nothing in the policy that is anything like what you wrote.

Here is the actual policy. "Balisong", "oversized", "practice" and "two hands" are not mentioned anywhere. "Butterfly knives" are not permitted. As was already mentioned "Butterfly knife" is another name for a Balisong knife, so they are not permitted at all.

image.png

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@kenjap wrote:

Allowed:

Allowed in some cases:

Not Allowed:

• Balisong knives
  • Butterfly knives

MAYBE, your listing problem can be figured out, maybe. 

Did you state "oversized" in the title, the description, and/or item specifics? 

Omission of some words can trigger bot-jerk reactions, sometimes. 

JAT

Hope you get it figured out. Good luck. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@tev4all, the knife policy does not allow oversized knives, or any kind of butterfly knives.

What OP wrote is not in the knife policy at all. I don't know if it might have been there several years ago, but it's not there now.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@kenjap wrote:

Allowed:

Allowed in some cases:

Not Allowed:

• Balisong knives
  • Butterfly knives

Where do you see that, because I don't see it on the policy page.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

The following or similar types of knives aren't allowed:

• Automatic knives
  • Butterfly knives 
  • I C ,said the blind man
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:
Where do you see that, because I don't see it on the policy page.

That was apparently the policy a half a decade ago.

If you Google the phrase in question, you can find posts in this community circa 2015-16 that quote the old policy.

The OP is probably seeing one of these pages and mistaking it for current policy.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Policy must of changed. It was ok a couple years ago.  Thats what the old policy said before

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@kenjap wrote:

Policy must of changed. It was ok a couple years ago.  Thats what the old policy said before

Apparently, it was more like 5-6 years ago, which is an eon in internet time. That's practically prehistoric.

If you're selling on eBay, you need to keep up-to-date with policy changes, and when someone posts the policy, you should actually READ IT before stating that you have already read it. 

Posting a lengthy "quote" of verbiage that hasn't been in the actual policy for more than half a decade, is, like, I don't know ... kind of, like, unbelievable? </end valley girl>

Don't rely on first-level customer support. If you had asked here whether these kinds of knives were allowed, you would have gotten correct answers, with links to policy you could read yourself, and (assuming you actually read the responses and the relevant policy, and didn't argue with the responders and post prohibited items anyway) you wouldn't have gotten more defects on your selling account for policy violations.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply