cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been selling here for about 15 years and tomorrow I have a job interview!!

I've been on eBay since 2000, hard to believe!!! I didn't start selling until 2001 or 2002, but I've happily ( most days) called eBay my job! I've seen it super busy, where you could list anything at auction and really have some fun, to this last week where I couldn't even GIVE a pair of pants away ( I actually tried).

Well things have changed a lot in those years and I need a more steady income, so tomorrow I have a job interview at a department store! I figured if I did that part time and eBay in between at least I would know I had money coming in steadily. 

I hope I love it, that's why I chose a department store, and I'm hoping that they'll fit my schedule. So wish me luck, hard to believe it's happening!

A miracle is not defined by the event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.
Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Good Luck!  Show passion in your work.  Smile a lot and say Hello to anyone just because it makes them feel good.  Show up a few minutes ealier than normal, Give thanks at the end of each work day.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

@flipper1131yka wrote:

Well things have changed a lot in those years and I need a more steady income, so tomorrow I have a job interview at a department store! I figured if I did that part time and eBay in between at least I would know I had money coming in steadily. 

I hope I love it, that's why I chose a department store, and I'm hoping that they'll fit my schedule. So wish me luck, hard to believe it's happening!

Hey @flipper1131yka, fingers, toes, and everything else crossed for you!    I'm sure you'll ace it.  You might even be able to share some of what you've learned as an eBay seller to convince them how perfect you are!   Good luck and be sure to keep us posted about how it all works out...  🙂

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

@flipper1131yka wrote: 

Well things have changed a lot in those years and I need a more steady income, so tomorrow I have a job interview at a department store.

Good luck on your interview & hope that you land a great position.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Wishing you all the best.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

Best of luck with your new job. I don't know what is going on with Ebay, but somehow, they are making it very difficult for the sellers. Everyone is having trouble selling it seems.
Hard to make any money when they want you to give everything away.
Message 6 of 41
latest reply

With all your sales and customer service experience, they would be fools to pass up this opportunity to hire you. Enjoy yourself...you've got this. All the best! 🙂

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Jeremiah 29:11 New International Version (NIV)

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Wishing you all the best!

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

@flipper1131yka wrote:

I've been on eBay since 2000, hard to believe!!! I didn't start selling until 2001 or 2002, but I've happily ( most days) called eBay my job! I've seen it super busy, where you could list anything at auction and really have some fun, to this last week where I couldn't even GIVE a pair of pants away ( I actually tried).

Knock em dead !!!!! 

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Best wishes for your interview! I also applied for a job and had an interview, but no offer. I guess they didn't like me or maybe when they asked my salary requirements I gave an amount they are not willing to pay. I won't work at a job for minimum wage. I'm not sure what one is supposed to say when asked that, maybe "I'm flexible"? 

My son also interviewed and hasn't heard back but he has another interview lined up for this coming week so we are also wishing him good luck! Considering supposed low unemployment, many businesses do not seem to be in much of a rush to  hire. For example he applied to a grocery store. The manager told me they are  losing college students so they need to hire, but haven't asked him to interview. 

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish you the very best of luck in your new endeavor. I hope you get the job.

Your time line with ebay is exactly like mine. I joined in 2000 and started selling in 2001 very very part time. The week of 9/11 to be exact. I was devistated by the awful event that happened along with the whole country.

I had listed 6 auction items and 1 sold. I'm thinking how can anyone be interested in buying anything at this time.

In 2005 I happened to find a category that was hot. I investigated and learned all I could about it. I started planning to use this as a fun retirement job.

In 2009 I retired and now this is my--as I call it--fun monkey businness job. I love it and do quite well as a full time/part time retirement job.

I buy 99.8% of my inventory on ebay and resell it for a nice profit.

So, again, best of luck with you job interview.

Let us know how it turns out.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

On the retail floor?

Comfy shoes* and if you have to wear a skirt, opaque tights.

Say hello to every customer. It cuts down on shoptheft.

Edit-- That sounds awful cynical. I enjoyed my days in retail (woodstoves, patio furniture, rare postage stamps, solar collectors). Most people are lovely.

*Crocs makes nicer styles these days.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Sorry to hear how things have turned, but thats O.K. too. We work, we love our work, but eBay helps out. And its retail sales which we also love. Good Luck and All the Best in the Future.

Now go out there and become a retail animal!!sunglasses

"May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion."
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

I've been selling on ebay for 7 years full time and it's funny, I'm doing the same thing. I'm starting a part time job in September. I'm afraid the slow sales are going to continue into the 4th quarter. 

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Message 15 of 41
latest reply