cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought the shipping price stays the same when someone makes an offer?

So I was selling an item for around 51.99 and it costs about 30$ to ship. I got an offer come in for 50$ so I accepted, only to realize after the fact that he had totally took away all shipping costs! It said "free shipping". So I panicked and felt taken advantage of and just canceled the order. I know Ebay frowns down upon doing this, but when I had the offer sent to me, it said nothing at all about free shipping.

I'm rather new to Ebay but in all my prior research, I was under the impression that when you send an offer, the shipping price stays fixed.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Buyers have no ability to remove the ship cost on an offer. You must have been mistaken and had free shipping. 

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Are you sure you had the correct shipping to start with?  With a Offer the buyer can not change the shipping.  They can add a message that states that their offer is total to include shipping.  I looked at you Elvis Cassette, there is no option to change the shipping and the shipping is clearly posted.

stephenmorgan_0-1668566085162.png

stephenmorgan_1-1668566133843.png

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

That's what I thought too, but here's the listing, you can see the shipping clearly specified, but if you go and look at winning bid, it shows as free shipping.🤔😮

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403996115732

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

That listings shows shows $29.99 shipping to the US.   I would call eBay and find out what happened.

stephenmorgan_0-1668568319022.png

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I see the same shipping on the  listing and the winning bid.  $28.99 to Canada

jacket1.JPG

jacket2.JPG

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

Yes, that's the strange thing, but then when I go in the order details it showed like this!ebay.jpg

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

That's bizarre

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

This isn't the case though. You can see on the listing that the shipping price was clearly listed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403996115732

And yet when I accepted the offer it shows up in the database like this. And it said nothing about free shipping when I accepted the offer. ebay.jpg

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Yes, it's an eBay "glitch". I've had it happen more than once in the last three years. 

Last time I remember it happening, it was on an item listed with priority shipping. It was a graded card. When it sold, the shipping was $1 and still required priority shipping. I use POLICIES to ship with. The size/weight of the package was right, eBay's calculation was WRONG. 

Don't expect them to ever admit they screwed up, because they won't. They will blame YOU. From now on, when accepting an offer, be sure it also shows your shipping price BEFORE accepting the offer. Double check your listing BEFORE accepting.  Kind stupid a seller needs to go to all that trouble, but at some point it will save you taking a loss, taking a ding, or getting suspended. 

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

Yeah, I noticed about a minute after I accepted the offer and cancelled it. Obviously if I didn't charge for shipping I may as well have gave the thing away. I know Ebay really penalizes people for cancelling orders but I didn't know what else to do. I feel like I was being scammed.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

And here's how the offer was sent to me. It said NOTHING about free shipping . Shouldn't Ebay make this clear in an offer?!

ebay2.jpg

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Wow really?! That's crazy a platform as big as Ebay can have such a disastrous bug! Yes, this is definitely a learning experience for sure.

What I'm still curious is whether the buyer has the option to deduct the shipping in the offer. Since Ebay is so unclear about it when an offer is sent, this would be an easy to scam sellers. I thought maybe it was a common issue but couldn't find much about it.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

No, the buyer does not have the ability to change the shipping cost.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

That's so bizarre. Hopefully I don't shadow banned for cancelling the order after accepting.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply