cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I just figured out a reason why more buyers don't leave feedback

Ebay is messaging me to leave feedback on two items that haven't even been delivered yet.

No wonder more buyers don't leave feedback. It's probably because ebay pesters them with meaningless messages so much that they tend to just turn off.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Since feedback is voluntary, Most people just buy their item receive it and don't give feedback a thought. 

eBay gives members the option to turn feedback reminder notifications off. 

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Excactly. And when something is annoying -- like being reminded for feedback before you've even received the item -- you tend to turn if off.  So ebay is doing a bang up job at that.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@rockystradingpost wrote:

Ebay is messaging me to leave feedback on two items that haven't even been delivered yet.

No wonder more buyers don't leave feedback. It's probably because ebay pesters them with meaningless messages so much that they tend to just turn off.

IMHO you are thinking too hard. 

I think the reason is very simple ... because buyers have absolutely no incentive to do it

Feedback response rates have always been low, even 20 years ago. 

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

You can go to your Site Preferences and turn OFF receiving the FB email.  

It is unlikely these emails are why buyers often don't leave FB.  Some don't get them and others simply don't care.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Excactly. And when something is annoying -- like being reminded for feedback before you've even received the item -- you tend to turn if off.  So ebay is doing a bang up job at that.

I had a buyer leave me a negative because eBay was pestering them to leave me feedback...before the item arrived! Buyer didn't realize she was negging ME and not "eBay", so I was able to convince her to revise the feedback, which she did. But I get it, ebay pushing for feedback prior to delivery of the item, that's annoying.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Nah, just being observant.

I said A reason, not THE reason. 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

How does someone turn off the feedback reminders, as I cannot figure out how to do it?  I go to Communications With Buyers and I see where it says about the feedback reminders but I cannot find a way to edit it to turn that function off.  Its not clickable and the only "edit" I see on the entire page only edits the Q&A questions.  How do I go about turning the feedback reminders off?

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

But on the flip side of that, and a BIG turnoff

I took a trip up to Reno a while ago. I reserved the hotel through one of the hotel reservation systems. After I got back I got a request from the Res. system to leave feedback for the hotel. Nothing wrong with that.

BUT they also included requests to leave feedback for a variety of restaurants and business I never visited. Therefore how valid is any of their feedback.

Locally I shop at a particular home center, preferring to the others.

Frequently, after my shopping trip I get an email asking me to rate my visit. They mention the store by name but upon closer inspection I see that it comes from a marketing company (click to unsubscribe).

My once and former supermarket not only sent me a note to rate my visit, but they listed everything I bought and asked me to rate those as well.

I do make it a point to leave feedback for eBay purchases - after all I am also a seller and part of the game.

BUT, in view of the examples listed, EVERY feedback request I get in my email is deleted without even looking at it.

Can't believe I'm the only one.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Buyers don't leave feedback anymore because they are annoyed at ebay for reminding them to leave feedback?

No matter what the topic, it always seems to be ebay's fault. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Only unhappy buyers and buyers who have absorbed the old Ebay culture leave FB.

FB is unnatural. If you doubt that, keep track of how many people ahead of you in the supermarket line thank the cashier.

Do you go online to answer the survey that the supermarket or McDonalds ask you to answer on the bottom of your receipt?

Those Ebay reminders are a sop to sellers who think FB is important. If you want to complain about them, feel free, as others have said - many buyers do not want to be asked for FB.

Ebay buyers leave an order of magnitude more FB than buyers on other marketplaces. Not as much as they used to, but that is because they have protections when sellers scrooge them.

You are getting a respectable amount of FB on your sales. You are unlikely to get a higher percentage of FB unless you screw up

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@modulok! wrote:

How does someone turn off the feedback reminders, as I cannot figure out how to do it?

Hi @modulok! 

You can turn off feedback reminders from here:

My eBay > Account > Account Preferences:  Communication Preferences > General Preferences.

On your way to reaching feedback reminders ... you may see other types of notifications you may want to edit.  🙂

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Thank you for responding but I do not think that is the right place.  I think that is for turning on/off feedback reminders for you as a seller being reminded to leave feedback for buyers, as it says..."Be notified when you need to leave feedback or feedback is removed."  I see that that option on my account is already unchecked but under Communications With Buyers it says that feedback reminders to buyers will be sent.  Forgive me if I am wrong on this.  Here is a screenshot of that feedback reminder under General Preferences...feedback1.jpg

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Buyers don't leave feedback anymore because they are annoyed at ebay for reminding them to leave feedback?

No matter what the topic, it always seems to be ebay's fault. 

That is EXACTLY what my buyer said, that she was annoyed that ebay was nagging her for feedback. So I received the brunt of her annoyance.  So yes, this time it was eBay's fault. Trust me, I RARELY put the blame on eBay....

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Wouldn't it be easier for your buyer to just...

A) Ignore the reminder

-or-

B) Leave you feedback 

Than it would be to message you and express her annoyance?

Oh well.

People are strange.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 15 of 26
latest reply