cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sold an item and had to pay $51.33 sales tax

Why?

My item was listed for $550

Add $15.54 for shipping label

But then I see I also got hit for $51.33 for Sales Tax.

So then my "fees'' are based on a total of $616.87

Why am I getting hit with $51.33 to pay in sales tax for selling something? 

On top of that, I see another added calculation of $616.87 x 15% =  - $92.53

What's going on here?

I don't get it.

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: I sold an item and had to pay $51.33 sales tax

Echo:  That is what I meant by this statement -  "For certain other states & counties have unique sales tax schedules."

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 61 of 69
latest reply

Logically that just isn't going to happen.  I think you are just trying to find stuff to disagree with me about.  It really is unnecessary.

No in reality I agree with you on a lot of points. The responses I provided are to try an get people to look at a bigger perspective with regards to what could happen were things to change with regards to the MLF. Most posters who complain about having to pay the FVF on the sales tax only look at it from one aspect without considering the complete picture. The bottom line is neither the MLF's or the eBay assessment of the FVF's on the sales tax are probably not going to change. Personally I have no issue with either. 

Message 62 of 69
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Logically that just isn't going to happen.  I think you are just trying to find stuff to disagree with me about.  It really is unnecessary.

No in reality I agree with you on a lot of points. The responses I provided are to try an get people to look at a bigger perspective with regards to what could happen were things to change with regards to the MLF. Most posters who complain about having to pay the FVF on the sales tax only look at it from one aspect without considering the complete picture. The bottom line is neither the MLF's or the eBay assessment of the FVF's on the sales tax are probably not going to change. Personally I have no issue with either. 

There is absolutely no way any state is going to dump their MFL in order to have each seller responsible for the sales tax.  What an accounting nightmare for the states.  Instead of one check or payment from Ebay they can have around six million transactions.  Simply doesn't make sense at all.  So as for the larger picture, this would never be part of it.

What became what you called an issue was one that was never being discussed in the first place and took away from the conversation that was happening.  It was completely unnecessary.  

It is important to remember that the way Ebay calculates the FVF on sales tax is not like similar sites like Etsy, Amazon and probably others.  Etsy and Amazon charge ZERO fees on sales tax.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 63 of 69
latest reply

What became what you called an issue was one that was never being discussed in the first place and took away from the conversation that was happening.  It was completely unnecessary.  

To the best of my knowledge other than the eBay constraints this is an open forum and everybody is free to post as they wish. If you don't like what I post simply ignore it and move on. There are a LOT of postings that I ignore and simply move on to the next topic. The sales tax and shipping fees are about to fall into that category along with the 1099 ones. There are already enough postings out there that there really is no need to start another one. 

Message 64 of 69
latest reply

Not exactly.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Community-Guidelines/td-p/26164369?nobounce=

Message 65 of 69
latest reply

They also tried to do it to me and I complained.  It's fraud.

Message 66 of 69
latest reply

@swedensweden wrote:

They also tried to do it to me and I complained.  It's fraud.

@swedensweden 

Sellers do NOT pay sales tax.  The buyer pays sales tax on the payment they submit for the transaction.  Then Ebay removes that sales tax the BUYER paid so they can remit it to the appropriate state.

No seller pays sales tax on an Ebay transaction.  Sales tax has always been the responsibility of the buyer.

Message 67 of 69
latest reply

Sellers pay a FEE on the tax collected by EBay.  This is never done at other auction companies.  It is a ripoff.

Message 68 of 69
latest reply

@swedensweden wrote:

Sellers pay a FEE on the tax collected by EBay.  This is never done at other auction companies.  It is a ripoff.

Yes this is correct, but that isn't what you said in your earlier post when you were agreeing with the OP because the OP thought they paid the Sales Tax too.

FYI when PayPal was our money processor, we paid a fee to them on any sales tax too as the fees were also based on total amount received.

Message 69 of 69
latest reply