cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I may be off base but...

I was thinking today, that my sales went for a nose dive (and I mean a few hundred a month to absolutely zero) right about the time eBay started requiring us to remove active content.

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: I may be off base but...

@mindless-illusions wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Or your potential customers may have been confused by your description.

Please note that our jars may change from time to time depending on availability.

But I'm just buying today. This does not affect me. Drop it.
Some jars may look bigger or smaller depending on the lid, but all jars hold the same or MORE product.

So how much product am I getting? Drop this.
This set contains our EDIBLE Paint glazes!Choose from Pearl or Opaque (non-transparent color like acrylic paint) colors!
This is your product. It should be the first line.
You can also choose from 6, 12, 24 or 36 colors to create your own custom set if you'd like. Just message me with the colors you want or we'll surprise you with our own collection of colors!

I'm lost.

KISS.

Make a listing for 6 colour sets.

Make a listing for 12 colour sets.

You have 50 Free Listings every 30 days. And the more listings you have the more likely it is that someone will find you.  Good point about finding me, but I have many more items than 50 a month.  When they go out and I try to relist or list something else, I get charged.  I've tried it.  If I'm not making money, I can't afford to rack up fees.  Once the 50 are gone, I have to wait until the next month before I can relist or list new items.

Many colors aren't even listed yet, like Tiffany Green, Maroon and Garnet Red!

If they are not listed, don't mention them in your description.

Put a printed list in with the order.  GOOD POINT 

Each bottle holds approximately (small) 7-8 ml or (large) 14-15 ml.

Make a listing for small bottles and a separate listing for large bottles.

I'd suggest saying they are 7ml and 14ml and letting customers be surprised and pleased when they get more than they expected.  

Have you ever looked at your listings on a mobile phone? Preferably not your own , so you see what the customer sees.

It can be a shock.  Why would using my own phone matter?

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

I asked for lodgical opinions, not puerile answers.  Can YOU live on $50  or $100 a month?  

It is very hard to give logical opinions when the only fact presented to us is demonstrably false. 

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

You're spreading your listings across 3 different ID's in order to get the free listings. It might be time to consider opening a basic ebay store. You can then consolidate your listings to the one ID that has over 1200 FB. With the basic store you get 200 free fixed price and 200 auction style listings. You also get the ability to run sales and promotions. You can categorize items within your store. Also, adding new listings helps, and if you add the listings from the other 2 ID's to the aurora ID, that should be a big boost.

I recently created a facebook page for my ebay store, and when I run sales, I'll use boosted posts to target the particular audience that pertains to what I'm selling.

I know this might not be a good time to add the cost of basic store ($24.95/mo for month to month or $19.95/mo for yearly subscription), But if you use the tools available to you, it can easily pay for itself and then some.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Well, I was trying to use a process of elimination instead of just throwing my hands up, and I thought I'd ask the opinion of those who are 1) having the same issues and 2) having NO sales shortage.

I thought that is what the community is for....to help each other and ask questions.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

You have valid points, but it just wasn't lucritive for me to have a store with the small amount I was selling in the aurora name.  I've just now started loading things back in about a month ago.  If I open the store and then don't sell, I'm going to have a bill and no way to pay it.  That is scary to me.  I'm already in a bind with no job, so adding another cost with no money coming in (and no one to ask for help) scares the hair off my feet.....which is probably a good thing...lol   laughing
It's just that there are no guarantees that anything will sell.....and I'm not much of a risk taker.....although, trying would be better than living without lights.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

I asked for lodgical opinions, not puerile answers..... 

You know what?  I had intended make some suggestions that would help you but this statement is just so insulting that I have decided not to waste my time.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

With the basic store you get 200 free fixed price and 200 auction style listings.

I can't believe I didn't catch my error before I posted. You get 250 each fixed price and auction, not 200.

It would be a big step, and you could try it for a month or 2 and add some 30 day listings and maybe some auctions and check out some of the advantages such as promotions manager and markdown manager (which will soon be rolled into promotions manager).

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@zzydny wrote:

I asked for lodgical opinions, not puerile answers..... 

You know what?  I had intended make some suggestions that would help you but this statement is just so insulting that I have decided not to waste my time.

Oh good lord.  sob  No loss then, right?   FIrst, my post wasn't even directed at you.
Secondly, my replying post wasn't insulting.  I was the one insulted by the poster's post and I made a statement saying so.   Big whoop!
I used to get upset with people like you bullying me around with your hate, but I don't lose sleep over sticks and stones anymore.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I may give it a try as soon as I get some kind of money.  I assume if you pay monthly you have to pay up front and I just don't have it right now.  But I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.  Thank you!

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

Good point about finding me, but I have many more items than 50 a month.  When they go out and I try to relist or list something else, I get charged.  I've tried it.  If I'm not making money, I can't afford to rack up fees.  Once the 50 are gone, I have to wait until the next month before I can relist or list new items.

If 30 cents for a listing is too much, then it is time to rethink your business plan.

Your total fees (listing, FVF, shipping FVF, and Paypal ) should be less than 20% of what you are taking in.

And don't forget your acquisition costs and your labour. (Here in BC, the minimum wage is 18cents a minute. Are you earning that much?)

You have 50 Free listings on each of your three IDs. At the moment this one has only 22. You could list another 22 and still be under your limit.

And you can get another 50 Free by listing on eBayCANADA. Which does require a bit more thought , particularly about shipping since you have to list in Canadian dollars and use Flat Rate Shipping.  Still, on the mindless-illusions ID, your prices are high enough to make using the Global Shipping Program a reasonable choice.

I have seven IDs, not all active, because my product lines are so dissimilar. I do find that the more items I have listed in my Stores, the more sales I make. And it seems that a lot of those sales are at the beginning and the end of the GTC listings (a lot but not all). So I make sure that there is something opening and closing every day of the month.

About your hydro bills. Have you considered adding (more) insulation to your attic and basement?Both are relatively cheap and easy fixes that show a difference immediately. Our fuel bills in Ottawa ON, where 30 above and 30 below are normal tempratures, were less than that in  1920s house.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

I agree. Now, I am finding that the info that a seller needs is very hard for them to find. So, they ask questions because they cannot be the item specifics.
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Good point about finding me, but I have many more items than 50 a month.  When they go out and I try to relist or list something else, I get charged.  I've tried it.  If I'm not making money, I can't afford to rack up fees.  Once the 50 are gone, I have to wait until the next month before I can relist or list new items.

If 30 cents for a listing is too much, then it is time to rethink your business plan.

Your total fees (listing, FVF, shipping FVF, and Paypal ) should be less than 20% of what you are taking in.

And don't forget your acquisition costs and your labour. (Here in BC, the minimum wage is 18cents a minute. Are you earning that much?)

You have 50 Free listings on each of your three IDs. At the moment this one has only 22. You could list another 22 and still be under your limit.

And you can get another 50 Free by listing on eBayCANADA. Which does require a bit more thought , particularly about shipping since you have to list in Canadian dollars and use Flat Rate Shipping.  Still, on the mindless-illusions ID, your prices are high enough to make using the Global Shipping Program a reasonable choice.

I have seven IDs, not all active, because my product lines are so dissimilar. I do find that the more items I have listed in my Stores, the more sales I make. And it seems that a lot of those sales are at the beginning and the end of the GTC listings (a lot but not all). So I make sure that there is something opening and closing every day of the month.

About your hydro bills. Have you considered adding (more) insulation to your attic and basement?Both are relatively cheap and easy fixes that show a difference immediately. Our fuel bills in Ottawa ON, where 30 above and 30 below are normal tempratures, were less than that in  1920s house.

Thank you for your thoughts, but it's not just about 30 cents.  I'm saying that if you lost your job today, would your electric, water, garbage pickup, mortgage, insurance, and car notes stop coming?  
 They will keep adding up and if you don't have money coming in, you can't pay them.  I don't have a job elsewhere. This is my job.  It has been since 2001 and I've never had this kind of death of sales until now.

I just learned If my listings keep rolling over after an auction that doesn't sell and I put it back into a fixed price listing, then I get charged twice for the same listing, in the same month.  I did not realize that and I was just told that by an ebay team  member on the phone.  So if I go two or 3 months with no sales, and those listings keep rolling, I'm racking up as much in relisting fees as having a store....but not making any sales to pay for it.  Each relist counts towards your 50., so unless you just list them all fixed rate and "good til cancelled" the ones rolling over will take from your 50 and add to your bill.

I also learned that those promotions don't mean squat.  Why send a promotion for 50 free listings when you already have 50 free listings?  It's  not that you are going to get 100 free listings during the promotion period, which I thought.  You still only get the one time 50 free, so I say they need to stop clouding my email with offers that don't actually mean anything.

As for this house, no, I can't redo the house.  I live in poverty and the roof leaks, so until I can get that fixed, no insulation is going to help and it would probably mold anyway.  And I'm my only source of income.  That's why this is so important to me to start getting my sales back.  What I have made in here went to last month's bills and the month before, but there haven't been enough sales here to even keep up the utility bills like a year ago when I was making $400-500 a month in sales...although most of it did come from Etsy after eBay starting cloaking listings a year or so ago.  But they are slow too since they went public.

By the way, my "mom" lives in Ottawa.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I asked for lodgical opinions, not puerile answers.  Can YOU live on $50  or $100 a month?  
This is my job.  I'm not here cleaning out my closest, friend.  I've sold here in 3 different names since 2001.
THIS is my living expenses.    Your answer makes no sense.  My electric bill alone is over $100 a month.  And you think a $50 sale is a big deal?  Half of that went to ebay and PayPal.  

Definitely time to get your resume in order!

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@aurora777_58 wrote:

Thank you for your thoughts, but it's not just about 30 cents.  I'm saying that if you lost your job today, would your electric, water, garbage pickup, mortgage, insurance, and car notes stop coming?  
 They will keep adding up and if you don't have money coming in, you can't pay them.

Sounds like time for a very needed job.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply