cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm done

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the rant, but I've had enough. I've taken down all my auctions. I tried selling stuff since I'm in between jobs, but after 2 demands for refunds in as many days, it's just not worth wrapping, driving to the post office and settling for what little I can get after everyone takes their cut.

People don't seem to know what "no refunds" means. Old records have scratches. The post office sometimes handles packages poorly. Neither is my fault. I can't even leave negative feedback for the buyer.

From now on, anything I don't want or need gets thrown in the trash.

Goodbye and good luck.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

I'm done

I agree the refunds end of it must be annoying for you, especially if you're jumping through hoops to satisfy your customers. 

Ebay can be a tough go for sure, but I think a lot of it depends on what you're selling, the price level of your goods, and whether or not you're selling something that everyone else is selling.

Sometimes taking a break from ebay can be good for the soul, so good luck in the future, and who knows, maybe you'll fall into the perfect niche sometime down the road for selling on ebay again.

(my posting ID)

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

Sorry that selling on eBay didn't work out, especially being between jobs.

Selling requires both hard work and a good deal of good luck.

Hope your situation will greatly improve before the holidays.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for the rant, but I've had enough. I've taken down all my auctions. I tried selling stuff since I'm in between jobs, but after 2 demands for refunds in as many days, it's just not worth wrapping, driving to the post office and settling for what little I can get after everyone takes their cut.

People don't seem to know what "no refunds" means. No returns doesn't mean no refunds. All return policies are trumped by the money back guarantee.

Old records have scratches.

It is up to the seller to accurately describe every flaw on the item..

The post office sometimes handles packages poorly.  It's the seller's responsibility to pack the items so that it can be drop repeatedly from 20 feet without getting damaged.

Neither is my fault. I can't even leave negative feedback for the buyer.

Why would you leave the buyer negative feedback for things that they can't control?

Goodbye and good luck.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

@Anonymous wrote:

People don't seem to know what "no refunds" means. No returns doesn't mean no refunds. All return policies are trumped by the money back guarantee.

Old records have scratches.

It is up to the seller to accurately describe every flaw on the item..

The post office sometimes handles packages poorly.  It's the seller's responsibility to pack the items so that it can be drop repeatedly from 20 feet without getting damaged.

Neither is my fault. I can't even leave negative feedback for the buyer.

Why would you leave the buyer negative feedback for things that they can't control?

Goodbye and good luck.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

Selling used items on ebay can be tough.

At least donate your unwanted items if you can. Hopefully your local donation center is closer than your PO. Happy holidays.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

@Anonymous wrote:
Old records have scratches. {snip}
Neither is my fault

The scratches may not be your fault, but your inadequate description is.

It is your job to describe the record completely and note how the scratches affect the sound quality. Simply putting "I'll let the pictures speak for themselves" is not an adequate description of a used record.

Pictures do not convey sound quality, and if you do not accurate describe the sound quality or use one of the generally accepted grading scales, then your buyers are justified in asking for refunds if the record does not play the way it looks like it should play in the pictures.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

Sorry to hear 😞

Best of luck!
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

I'm really sorry to hear of your situation.  Perhaps if you make a few small changes, you can sell to tide you over until you find another job.

No returns, no refunds doesn't mean the buyer is stuck with whatever they get.

Keeping that in mind, if you describe your items fully and accurately, you may avoid these situations.  It is for your protection and while it may be a bit more work, it will protect you in the end because what good is a sale that comes back to haunt you for a refund.  

There was a seller of used items, vintage items, who has sold here for twenty years without an issue.  He described completely and accurately and has never had a problem in twenty years, so it can be done.

If the record has scratches, say so.  If the Post Office handles items poorly, you are covered by insurance but the best protection is packing well.  

Why would you want to leave buyers negs when an item wasn't described properly or it didn't arrive in good condition?  This is exactly why Ebay removed the ability of sellers to leave negs for buyers.  Many were just retaliatory because the buyer didn't want the not as described item they received, or the broken one.

It's been said this didn't happen much, but posts by sellers don't attest to that.  Retaliatory negs are still desired some ten years after Ebay made the change.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

You may be a victim of your own deeds. After saying that, we all are victims of our own lack of disclosure sometimes. You may have failed to describe an item correctly. 

But, as a buyer, I always get that little voice in my head telling me to stay away from items that are not well described. Say I am a lover of collecting music records, reading a "it has scratches", or anything else, well, you can ask the seller of any condition, can you? 

Basically, let's be clear here: Most buyers rely their buying experience on free returns= NADs. But, have they done their homework too? The "I thought that was a dark blue but I got a lighter blue, I thought the scratches weren't that deep or too long, short, visible, etc" should be questions done prior to buying. 

Good luck to you. And Merry Christmas! 

latest reply

I'm done

Selling NEW items on ebay can be tough!  I couldn't even imagine selling used items. 

"I was expecting it to be alot bigger" - When the size is clearly on the listing.

Good luck to you in the future!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 11 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

I do not have anything to add that has not already been said.  Maybe this link will help you?

Click Here

Good Luck Selling!

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

@luckythewinner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Neither is my fault

It is your job to describe the record completely and note how the scratches affect the sound quality. Simply putting "I'll let the pictures speak for themselves" is not an adequate description of a used record.

Pictures do not convey sound quality, and if you do not accurate describe the sound quality or use one of the generally accepted grading scales, then your buyers are justified in asking for refunds if the record does not play the way it looks like it should play in the pictures.

Many sellers are noticing an increase in returns not just the OP.Smiley Sad

Buyers already know they can return items, but why does ebay encourage/entice buyers to return items? we as sellers accept returns but don't advertise it, go to your recent purchases and what do you see? A big box shouting "Return this Item", can we for example replace with "Leave Feedback" or "Rate item”? and see if that can result in less returns without discouraging buyers from shopping ebay?

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

@mypostingid15 wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Neither is my fault

Buyers already know they can return items, but why does ebay encourage/entice buyers to return items? we as sellers accept returns but don't advertise it, go to your recent purchases and what do you see? A big box shouting "Return this Item", can we for example replace with "Leave Feedback" or "Rate item”? and see if that can result in less returns without discouraging buyers from shopping ebay?

Great post.  It's one thing to try and force sellers to offer free returns in order to get a measley discount, which often causes sellers to lose more money via free returns than with the discount they get for doing it, but it's even worse that the first thing you see in your Purchase History as a buyer is that dark blue "Return this item" window that you referred to in your post, which surely encourages lots of "I changed my mind" buyers to do just that. As long as the money for the return is coming out of the seller's pocket and not eBay's, ebay doesn't care about all the returns in the world because most likely the selller will just relist it and ebay will end up getting their cut.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

I'm done

@adkhighker wrote:

@mypostingid15 wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Neither is my fault

Great post.  It's one thing to try and force sellers to offer free returns in order to get a measley discount, which often causes sellers to lose more money via free returns than with the discount they get for doing it, but it's even worse that the first thing you see in your Purchase History as a buyer is that dark blue "Return this item" window that you referred to in your post, which surely encourages lots of "I changed my mind" buyers to do just that. As long as the money for the return is coming out of the seller's pocket and not eBay's, ebay doesn't care about all the returns in the world because most likely the selller will just relist it and ebay will end up getting their cut.

Very Well Said!!!

Message 15 of 36
latest reply