cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a PayPal payment that's been refunded for an eBay order that's nowhere to be found on eBay

I noticed I have a PayPal payment notification email for an eBay order which I have no matching order on eBay. I assumed someone sent me a fake payment email to try to get me to send an order for free, but when I tried to find the transaction in my PayPal account, I did, and it has been refunded, and I don't remember refunding anything recently (though I've been flooded with orders so I may have forgotten, it was a few days ago).

I can't find any trace of this order on eBay whatsoever, it's not in paid orders, it's not in cancelled orders, it's not in awaiting payment orders, it's not on the item page's buyer's list, it's not in the resolution center.

Is this some sort of eBay glitch? Or did I just completely forget I did this refund and can find no traces of the order or refund whatsoever on eBay (only on PayPal)? Why is there absolutely no trace of this order and refund on eBay? Are buyers now able to self-cancel and self-refund their own orders oblivious to the seller or what?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I have a PayPal payment that's been refunded for an eBay order that's nowhere to be found on eBay

I looked at the times on PayPal and it was refunded 5 minutes after the payment, so it does look like eBay has given buyers the ability to self-cancel and self-refund their orders.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Most likely NOT the buyer, but an instance where PP found the payment source to be "fraudulent" in some way and immediately reversed it before ebay even had a chance to show the item as sold.

I've had a couple of these and that was PayPal's "explanation".

If you check I bet the listing is still active, yes?
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
Most likely NOT the buyer, but an instance where PP found the payment source to be "fraudulent" in some way and immediately reversed it before ebay even had a chance to show the item as sold.

It's a multi quantity listing, so it remains active anyway.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

but the qty hasn't changed to reflect one sold?
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

but the qty hasn't changed to reflect one sold?

I sell multiple of this item per day so I don't pay attention to the quantity so I wouldn't know, but this buyer doesn't appear in the buyer list for the item.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

^^THIS^^

@ccrrefills  Call Paypal, they can explain what happened.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Well if there's no record of the sale in ebay that's a sure sign it was a PP initiated 'refund' (actually a reversal).
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

That happened to me earlier this year.  No emails concerning sale or refund either. It did however kick my listing out of active, which I hadn't noticed. I didn't bother to follow up as it didn't cost me anything other than the listing being out of circulation for a while. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply