cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't understand the item specifics. Most of the time they do not apply to the item I am selling.

Some of the item specifics are absurd when applied to some items. It is a waste of the sellers time and should be optional. I receive messages from ebay that say they are required. It took me hours to edit the listings with these ridiculous required specifics. The same information is described in the description. Why is ebay putting its sellers through all this unnecessary, aggravating stuff. Furthermore, I think ebay should have a 14 day return privilege which they have eliminated. 30 days is too long, encourages more returns, and is difficult for the sellers if they are traveling or out of town. The 14 day return privilege should be reinstated. The page with the sellers active items on the selling manager cannot be seen all at once on my desk top monitor, but perhaps it can be seen on a huge screen./monitor? Why did they do away with the old format with the sellers active items? My eyes are so tired tracking back and forth on selling manager to see the item and watchers/bids etc. I can hardly see. Plus, I have to keep pulling the pages back and forth with the mouse on the side and bottom of the page. Help your sellers more, ebay! The fees on postage and sales tax are killing us.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I don't understand the item specifics. Most of the time they do not apply to the item I am selling.

Your post is kind of all over the place so I have sorted so someone may offer some answers

1. The 14 day return privilege should be reinstated 30 days is too long
  2. Why did they do away with the old format with the sellers active items
  3. The fees on postage and sales tax are killing us.
  4. These ridiculous required specifics. The same information is described in the description. Why is ebay putting its sellers through all this unnecessary, aggravating stuff
I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I give up. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I agree! Next thing ebay will offer a 10 year return policy, for a small fee, paid to ebay of course. Most justify the FVF on taxes & FVF on shipping. Both are wrong. btw you have some beautiful items posted. Smile, before ebay makes it even worse. 😥

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yeah the item specifics are messed up, some item specifics wont apply to some items ever. Yet ebay keeps sending me messages about my items that need item specifics. I was going to get into it with them but I feel it would be a waste of time.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@oldcoin007 

To answer your response to the OP, 10 year returns will never happen so no need for exaggeration. Yes, there is justification to the fees because the payment processor accepts a SINGLE payment paid by the buyer and transfers the money, less fees for doing so, into your account for you. They do not do it for free.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

To me it is like a bodyguard that charges extra if he actually saves you. Ebay is getting enough money already to not charge more for these services. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@rubrum113,

"It took me hours to edit the listings with these ridiculous required specifics. The same information is described in the description".

Item specifics can help direct people to your items when they enter one or more of those specific's keywords into a search.  I do agree with you, about some of the ones,  being unnecessary and even unanswerable, in some categories.  

Adding info in Item Specifics that is included in the description has never bothered me though.  I consider repetition to be a good thing, sort of like TV ads that repeat brand names or other specifics several times in their 30-60 second bytes. Especially, these days with people using smaller portable devices and buying more by the photos they see, rather than scrolling through a description.

"Furthermore, I think ebay should have a 14 day return privilege which they have eliminated. 30 days is too long".

I agree wholeheartedly with you on that. Especially for items that are true vintage collectibles.  Not ones created by Mfr's by offering limited edition everything. The buyers of true collectibles even some of the neo ones,  are not going to wait up to 30 days to inspect their purchases.  However, now that ebay has suddenly created what are basically Neo-Collectibles (sneakers, game/sports cards etc.)  and allow 5 year old items to be considered "vintage" is it any wonder that they would force sellers of true vintage collectibles to be forced into their unfair seller metrics?  IMO it is all part of J.D.'s 2008 promise to rid the site of its "garage sale" atmosphere.  

"Help your sellers more, ebay! The fees on postage and sales tax are killing us".

For those sellers who are not registered businesses in their state, but are just collectors selling off some or part of their collections, a bigger surprise is in store for them.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 8
latest reply