cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like some feedback on what just happened

Okay, so I sold a used phone for parts or not working on ebay. I stated that the phone came with scratches and that the mobile network was not working. Some bidder bought it around 2 weeks ago. Today he sends me a message saying he would like a 50% refund. He said the item was not as described and it was missing screws and that the phone was cracked inside etc. Obviously when I shipped the phone it was looking fine inside but aparrently he has a problem so I googled it and it seems there are some scammers who just look for money back while still keeping the item.

He also sent me 2 pictures, one which was so obviously fake, it was just my phone and he added a really bad photoshop of a crack on the bottom next  to the charger. I told him I would only accept a full refund and he would pay return shipping. He then said he wants 50% or he would leave negative feedback because he got something faulty. I then asked him to send me pictures of the inside of the phone so I could see what he's talking about but 10 minutes after that he cancelled the refund request, and left this message:

"I do not want to communicate with these fraudsters anymore. I will not fail because of the lost investment. But I do not want to buy any of them anymore."

I am now afraid he will open up a request from ebay and they will force the money out of my account.

What do you guys think of this?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: I'd like some feedback on what just happened

eBay says: For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller’s listing for full details.

(Hopefully info is still current.)

So imo you should be covered against SNAD.

Tell buyer that you listed it as parts and there will be no partial refund. 

If he opens a case, call ebay and have it closed in your favor while you remain on the phone.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

He then said he wants 50% or he would leave negative feedback 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't delete that message.

It's feedback extortion, and against ebay policy.

So, if the buyer leaves a neg, contact ebay and they should remove it.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Confused cancelled the refund request?  Can you explain better
Meaning he had opened a request already on ebay & now closed it?
If so he can't open another request with ebay, he can however open one with Paypal for 180 days.

Keep any ebay messages asking for refund or they will leave a negative, that is feedbck extortion 

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Edit to say off to slow typing corner Madison covered feedback already 🙂

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Yes he opened a refund request and then cancelled it after I requested pictures.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

OP, I'd be more worried about the scam that will roll in on the $500 phone you sold a few days after.

You are a low feedback seller listing high dollar, high scam items, scammers target sellers lke you because you do not understand how the ebay dispute process works and newbies make mistakes that give scammers freebies.

You got lucky with the one you have now, they either have too many suspicious returns and don't want to get more on the adar or you got one that is inexperienced.  Just keep checking your dashboard and paypal for any signs of disputes or requests.

And read around here about what to do when you get a scammy request.

I am an experienced seller on ebay with thousands of feedback and years of selling and I would never, every list any new electronic on ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Ok they can't open a 2nd ebay request, they could open a return request via Paypal
And as Rose stated you are selling very high priced computer parts & phones so be careful they are high scam items for low feedback sellers.

Good luck 

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I had a similar case, they made up some lie about the phones, I told them would have to return they refused as it would "cost them too much" because they were in the dominican republic and they wanted a partial refund I refused so they negged me, unfortunately for me they didn't threaten the negative feedback so I can't get mine removed.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

I had a similar case, they made up some lie about the phones, I told them would have to return they refused as it would "cost them too much" because they were in the dominican republic 

If I were to sell a phone to the DR, I'd expect no other result.

Some combinations just don't work.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@sg51 wrote:

I had a similar case, they made up some lie about the phones, I told them would have to return they refused as it would "cost them too much" because they were in the dominican republic 

Wasn't my choice unfortunately, as you know eBay forces you to ship to reshippers and other such forwarding services because they have US Addresses.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@sg51 wrote:

Wasn't my choice unfortunately, as you know eBay forces you to ship to reshippers and other such forwarding services because they have US Addresses.

But if you block foreign PP payments, they couldn't pay for it and you wouldn't have to ship it.

Hello guys thanks for answering, I have now recieved a bad feedback from this person claiming I am a scammer in the feedback. What do you suggest I do?

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@ra-yota wrote:

Hello guys thanks for answering, I have now recieved a bad feedback from this person claiming I am a scammer in the feedback. What do you suggest I do?

You could ignore it and move on.  Negative feedback no longer counts against a seller.  If you want, you could leave a reply to the neg something like - Sent bad photoshopped pics trying to get a refund.

OR you could report the buyer for feedback extortion to ebay and then call ebay CS and have them remove it.

(*Bleep*)
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

What do you mean no longer counts against a seller?

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@ra-yota wrote:

What do you mean no longer counts against a seller?

It used to be that a question, or negative feedback or any case or dispute gave the seller defects that ebay would boot you from selling.  Sellers were dropping like flies.  Then ebay relaxed their standards so that only cases without resolution, not refunded by the seller or canceled by the buyer, will count against the seller.  Basically if ebay has to refund the payment to the buyer for the seller, then the seller is doomed.

ebay wants happy buy-uh-scammers, and it appears that they believe that happy buy-uh-scammers are refunded  buy-uh-scammers.

(*Bleep*)
Message 15 of 27
latest reply