cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a seller who got scammed....

Today, I got scammed.  It hurts really bad so I just wanted to write about it. I listed a Macbook Pro and was purchased by a legit buyer. Next I receive an eBay message that they just bought a laptop from me and asked me to change the address. I failed to realize this person messaging me was NOT the legitimate buyer. I reached out to eBay and PayPal and they are reviewing my case.   I shipped my laptop to a scammer. How can this happen?! This address seems to be a shipping/freight company. This facility is used for fraudulent activities. I tried emailing the freight company Camex but no response. I asked them to look into unit G22634 in hopes of finding my laptop. The scammer used this address so I hope this user/address can be flagged from the eBay system.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Am I at a loss here? or will I be able to get my laptop, or reimbursed?

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: I am a seller who got scammed....

While some freight forwarders are ok, there are a growing number that are basically fronts for stolen merchandise. They need to be licensed by the USPS.

Call the postmaster in their city and file a postal fraud complaint against the company. Your buyer hacked an account and then used it to steal, and the forwarder is participating in moving the stolen merchandise. Their lack of failure to respond shows their problem.

then file a complaint with the police in that city against the freight forwarder. it is grand larceny.

Put up some information online about the company too. there are websites where people report these companies.

Until Americans start screaming to politicians and authorities about these foreign companies using our postal system to help thieves, then it will get worse.

You can make a claim on your insurance if you  have a police report of the theft, so get a copy from the cops.

and never sell anything online until you learn how scammers work

Message 31 of 48
latest reply

I received an email this evening almost immediately after selling and iPhone that requested I ship the item to another address.  I noticed that the user name was not the same as the user name of ther person who won the auction.  Also the new user name was just set up today.  I am glad that I caught it before I changed the address & shipped to the wrong person.  Can't be too careful these days.

Message 32 of 48
latest reply

@obxoceanluver1wrote:

I received an email this evening almost immediately after selling and iPhone that requested I ship the item to another address.  I noticed that the user name was not the same as the user name of ther person who won the auction.  Also the new user name was just set up today.  I am glad that I caught it before I changed the address & shipped to the wrong person.  Can't be too careful these days.

I am glad you caught it too!! These scammers are counting on the seller NOT NOTICING! Sadly many have fallen victim to this scam and didn't realize it until it was too late.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 33 of 48
latest reply

@emerald40wrote:
So imo number of years here may mitigate a newbie mistake it will not remove a problem in its entirety. 

Nothing will remove the problem entirely.  But that does not mean that awareness and knowledge and experience have no value. 

An educated seller learns what could go wrong with a transaction, and is in a better position to 9a) weigh the risks of selling an item, (b) to learn which items tend to attract fraud, and (c) to take prudent steps to help minimize his exposure.

Progress toward a goal is still progress. 

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

but that could happen to anyone no?
Message 35 of 48
latest reply

BIN? what's that?
Message 36 of 48
latest reply

write a post with some tips about how to handle this types of situations. I am sure your own experience on ebay could be of much help for many of us.
Message 37 of 48
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134

@vintagetonow2134wrote:
but that could happen to anyone no?

Faulty returns, yes they happen.

Falling for a different ship to address, not if you know what you are doing.

BIN  is Buy It Now listings.

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134

@vintagetonow2134wrote:
write a post with some tips about how to handle this types of situations. I am sure your own experience on ebay could be of much help for many of us.

Here is one started just today.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Things-every-seller-should-know/m-p/28243589#M1169534

The best way to learn how to deal with problems is to read the boards.

not just on a day by day basis, read back over previous post.

It's the best ebay education you can get.

Edit: and come here first at the hint of any problem, before you do anything check here first.

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

and what happened then? did it go well?
Message 40 of 48
latest reply

thank you
Message 41 of 48
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134

@vintagetonow2134wrote:
thank you

The honor was mine fair lady.

Many times asking to ship to a different address is a chance of scam.

You only send to the addy in PP, for your well being.

Message 42 of 48
latest reply

why what's wrong with auction?
Message 43 of 48
latest reply

This morning I did a little more research on this before shipping out the item.  It appears that the PayPal address that I am shipping to is a shipping warehouse that does reshipping...usually overseas.  The PayPal address is confirmed and I am protected by PayPal regulations.  

Message 44 of 48
latest reply

I am a guy not fair lady
Message 45 of 48
latest reply