cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am Disguted!

I sold a tank to a buyer that had some marks under the pits that wasn't noticed until I was listing. I did mention it in the listing. (Please no, 'don't sell damaged clothing' comments. I mention in my description and sell clothes imperfections all the time with no issues). Sold for $7 total. 

Here is a picture of of my listing with some light marks under the pits. 

I get a message from the buyer today saying the 

Message 1 of 152
latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

I am Disguted!

My bad, I guess the posts seem to have a lady's voice in my head for some reason
Message 61 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

Probably because they sell women's clothing.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 62 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

I've sold high end clothes with stains before pre owned for over $110. There is a market for stained clothes

There certainly is.

The usual keywords are "well worn" .

Many sellers do equally well selling pictures of the modelled clothing as they do actually selling the stained items.

Different strokes.....

Message 63 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

Dollar store spray and wash gets pit stains out 🙂
Message 64 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

Like you i sell preowned clothing. 95% great condition, 5% imperfect. I also am honest and upfront and dont have many issues. Suprisingly lots of people DO wear ripped, stained, and otherwise "damaged" clothes.
Message 65 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

Yep, you can sell anything on ebay. People will buy anything. That is the whole idea.

Message 66 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

Um...a lot of men won't wear pit stained clothing, either.

It's a super-satruated catogory - chances are, you'll find the same thing without pit stains.

Message 67 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

Some folks my think it a great deal to get a Nike top for 7 dollars sweat stains and all. Some may not think it's ok to buy a top with ALLEGED sweat stains.  Some people might invent sweat stains because they just do not like the top and want to return it. Just the nature of selling, and if you get some buyers who do not mind the flaws and are appreciative then that's great, but some may not want whatever you sell and they will return it.

Message 68 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

@imakesugar wrote:

@ honestabe411...

@pingpong517 wrote:
@honestabe411 wrote:
Then tell me why the buyer knowingly bought the item with it mentioned...and you can NOT speak on behalf of the millions of woman's in this country...great opinion, but again, a very invalid opinion and not relevant. 

soory but pikabo is correct.. no matter what YOU think..somethings don't cut it... and honestly I sell cloths ith small issues...but PIT STAINS and NASTY COLLARS STAINS..don't get sold...even if mentioned...yuk.

BUT BUT more to a bigger point...why? for a $7 item would you fess..refund them , be done with them... you know every person has their standard and some are picky and some, well..it ok...

BUT you said $7..why bother...refund, cancel, block..done.

you should know how buyer are...refund, cancle, block, done....

OMG! I can't belive that You would LOWER eBay to that standard...It is NOT a Matter Of what You have sold in the disquisting manner You talk about. It is a matter of pride in what YOU SELL.

Underarm stains can not be removed very easy if at all. ( Neck stains neither) So basically any item with neck stains or underarm stains should throw in the garbage right away! Anther hard to remove would Blood although that is possible to remove. Is this some kinf of JOKE? Are You trying to gross us out? 

Some stains a Buyer might not mind because they can work on those kind of stains themselves, Oil, some paints, etc. I can see selling those kind of things, lose buttons. maybe a lose hem, etc. I am sure at that point that Buyers would be happy to do a little work for a discount. I see that 2 things happen. 

1. Buyers really don't complain to You about it but decide that another site has "LESS RISK" then esentially you are chasing Buyers away! Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Sad
  2. eBay is and Some of the Sellers go through items that would have been OK a few Years ago, and have donated them, rumage saled them, or thrown them in the Garbage.
  3. The Clothing Sellers are working hard to Play in eBays sand box and ATTRACT new cusatomers for Them and eBay.

Just saying If You want to Sell those items then quickly By having Your settings On some items so that it is easy and quick to get the money back to the customer. Either way approve a Snad quickly IF IT HAS underarm stains, Neck stains etc. Actually IF You want to sell things like that put them in the ADULT section...I am sure there is a fetish for underarm stains... Maybe You could auction them off and get "way more money"

If You want to list the way You usually  do then at least make the stain show and put that is is stained in the title. That way NO Buyer wastes their time looking at something they don't want!

@honestabe411

"you should know how buyers are...refund, cancel, block, done..."

I have not Sold in a while( I am trying to get My ducks all in a row to start.) I think Emotionally for any good Seller It is better to think of it like that! Some Sellers come to the Boards all shook Up because they get emotionally involved and do Unprofessional Acts and that also makes it bad for Sellers. It is easy to remember a mantra like that and move on. Sellers get much more work done when they aren't all upset.

I am Not trying to make it simple because it isn't and there are so many variables that govern each case. Some of it though is just reading the eBay policy and guidelines. How many "New" Sellers come here and don't read the guidelines? How many "Older Sellers ( who used to sell on eBay) Don't read the new policies to catch up?

The rest of the problems The community is usually quick to answer. Helping everybody. I learn "NEW" things about eBay every day I read others posts. It gives me a chance to keep up and learn more about the ends and outs of eBay. 

Sorry to ramble on. I do think this discussion brings up many more things than just returning a smelly shirt. I am sorry to be so outspoken about it. I mean the things I am talking about are just common sense. Woman Wink

I let my Secretary go home this afternoon, she was not here to proofread my work. I hope My spelling and grammer ain't to awfully bad...Smiley Wink Sugar

somehow in all this, I am in there...BUT for the life of me i read it twice and could figure out what the point /meaning of all that was?

IF i was confusing..MY point was that all buyer aren't the same, and a stain or smell --even if mentioned is not going to be the same to another person.. some are yuk!, yes..some are "not bad"... BUT if you take the chance to sell and it has a stain--there are going to be some who see it HUGE and others that say ok. BUT when an issue or case comes up..ad it's a small amount( i know small is relative to each of us) bt say $15 or less.. a seller is better to refund and be done with it all... why get so defensive and worked up... in "used" clothing it going to happen..

P>S> i'm not advising selling the really stained stuff..but to each his own... I'm just saying..expect returns or refund for the oddest of reasons when selling used clothing...that clear my point up?

Message 69 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

@gotitinpdx wrote:
Dollar store spray and wash gets pit stains out 🙂

The (buyer) may have known or believed they could get the stain out for $1.00;  therefore they had no problem paying $7.00 for a shirt that retails for $20-$30.    This OP has every right to sell this shirt stained or without stains.............as long as he makes full disclosure.    

In fact, if the buyer purchased some stain remover for $1.10, incl tax, they very likely will have some of the stain remover left over to remove other stained items, so in reality, it may have only cost them $.40 cents to get "that" stain out when they had other laundry to do. 

Message 70 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

@pingpong517 wrote:

@imakesugar wrote:

@ honestabe411...

@pingpong517 wrote:
@honestabe411 wrote:
Then tell me why the buyer knowingly bought the item with it mentioned...and you can NOT speak on behalf of the millions of woman's in this country...great opinion, but again, a very invalid opinion and not relevant. 

soory but pikabo is correct.. no matter what YOU think..somethings don't cut it... and honestly I sell cloths ith small issues...but PIT STAINS and NASTY COLLARS STAINS..don't get sold...even if mentioned...yuk.

BUT BUT more to a bigger point...why? for a $7 item would you fess..refund them , be done with them... you know every person has their standard and some are picky and some, well..it ok...

BUT you said $7..why bother...refund, cancel, block..done.

you should know how buyer are...refund, cancle, block, done....

OMG! I can't belive that You would LOWER eBay to that standard...It is NOT a Matter Of what You have sold in the disquisting manner You talk about. It is a matter of pride in what YOU SELL.

Underarm stains can not be removed very easy if at all. ( Neck stains neither) So basically any item with neck stains or underarm stains should throw in the garbage right away! Anther hard to remove would Blood although that is possible to remove. Is this some kinf of JOKE? Are You trying to gross us out? 

Some stains a Buyer might not mind because they can work on those kind of stains themselves, Oil, some paints, etc. I can see selling those kind of things, lose buttons. maybe a lose hem, etc. I am sure at that point that Buyers would be happy to do a little work for a discount. I see that 2 things happen. 

1. Buyers really don't complain to You about it but decide that another site has "LESS RISK" then esentially you are chasing Buyers away! Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Sad
  2. eBay is and Some of the Sellers go through items that would have been OK a few Years ago, and have donated them, rumage saled them, or thrown them in the Garbage.
  3. The Clothing Sellers are working hard to Play in eBays sand box and ATTRACT new cusatomers for Them and eBay.

Just saying If You want to Sell those items then quickly By having Your settings On some items so that it is easy and quick to get the money back to the customer. Either way approve a Snad quickly IF IT HAS underarm stains, Neck stains etc. Actually IF You want to sell things like that put them in the ADULT section...I am sure there is a fetish for underarm stains... Maybe You could auction them off and get "way more money"

If You want to list the way You usually  do then at least make the stain show and put that is is stained in the title. That way NO Buyer wastes their time looking at something they don't want!

@honestabe411

"you should know how buyers are...refund, cancel, block, done..."

I have not Sold in a while( I am trying to get My ducks all in a row to start.) I think Emotionally for any good Seller It is better to think of it like that! Some Sellers come to the Boards all shook Up because they get emotionally involved and do Unprofessional Acts and that also makes it bad for Sellers. It is easy to remember a mantra like that and move on. Sellers get much more work done when they aren't all upset.

I am Not trying to make it simple because it isn't and there are so many variables that govern each case. Some of it though is just reading the eBay policy and guidelines. How many "New" Sellers come here and don't read the guidelines? How many "Older Sellers ( who used to sell on eBay) Don't read the new policies to catch up?

The rest of the problems The community is usually quick to answer. Helping everybody. I learn "NEW" things about eBay every day I read others posts. It gives me a chance to keep up and learn more about the ends and outs of eBay. 

Sorry to ramble on. I do think this discussion brings up many more things than just returning a smelly shirt. I am sorry to be so outspoken about it. I mean the things I am talking about are just common sense. Woman Wink

I let my Secretary go home this afternoon, she was not here to proofread my work. I hope My spelling and grammer ain't to awfully bad...Smiley Wink Sugar

somehow in all this, I am in there...BUT for the life of me i read it twice and could figure out what the point /meaning of all that was?

IF i was confusing..MY point was that all buyer aren't the same, and a stain or smell --even if mentioned is not going to be the same to another person.. some are yuk!, yes..some are "not bad"... BUT if you take the chance to sell and it has a stain--there are going to be some who see it HUGE and others that say ok. BUT when an issue or case comes up..ad it's a small amount( i know small is relative to each of us) bt say $15 or less.. a seller is better to refund and be done with it all... why get so defensive and worked up... in "used" clothing it going to happen..

P>S> i'm not advising selling the really stained stuff..but to each his own... I'm just saying..expect returns or refund for the oddest of reasons when selling used clothing...that clear my point up?

You should expect returns "even" on new items, it happens all the time.   We are now in a climate where it is being pushed on sellers to offer "free" returns.  I believe some buyers will buy new, wear the item and return it for "free" ..............it is now a "used" item.  This once new item is used,should it be thrown out never to be sold again.   

Message 71 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

@magsmg101 wrote:

@tunicaslot

But… but…To all the people who prefer to toss their stained, torn clothing into the trash.
PLEASE give your local animal rescue…SPCA a call first.

Many will take laundered clothing, towels, sheets etc to use as bedding before it finally goes to the landfill.Cat Very Happy

PS all you clothing sellers deserve a medal or at least A BADGESmiley Wink

I never thought about giving them clothing - I do donate blankets, towels, and medication that goes unused - unfortunately they built a new SPCA out in the boondocks and closed down the one 5 minutes from me. Hubby is happy as I could never drop donations off without bringing home a new pet! 

Message 72 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

@getitright1234 wrote:

Lets get some facts straight:

1.  Not all left over stains leave a smell/odor.   The OP said there was a stain, he did not say there was an odor .   Some of you went over the top by falsely writing:  the sold top had/ or probably had an odor.   Go look in your closet, many of you would find a top that has a stain on it and it does not have an odor.   In fact, depending on where the stain is located, I would gladly purchase an item with a stain if the price was right.  

2.    I researched this top and found it generally sells new for $20-$30 dollars.   If new cost is $20, and the OP sold it for $7, that is a 65% discount, if new is $30, that is a 77% discount.  We all know people come here (to eBay) looking for a bargain, so though some of you clearly would never purchase a stained item, there are others who have no problem with it.   

3.  Obviously, buyers do buy things that are torn/ripped/stained/damaged; we witnessed this all the time on eBay and elsewhere.     How many designer handbags have we seen that were dirty,  tattered, and torn;  yet there are buyers willing to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars.   Smiley Wink

In My Opinion:

As far as I am concern, as long as the seller makes full disclosure in pictures and in the written description, the buyer(s) should have nothing to complain about.  

We have all heard the saying:  another man's trash is another man's treasures.......that applies to women as well:  another woman's trash is another woman treasure ..................And another man's trash can be another woman's treasure......................................well you get the drift.  

OP, keep doing what works for "You", if only 10% of the time you have a problem, try to get that down in single digits, by making full disclosure in your pictures  and written description!!!!!

Good luck to you!!!!

I'm going to correct a few points - not sure if you checked solds but this shirt used typically sells for $4-$6 dollars -  BFHO even sold 2 new ones for $6 and $6.50 respectively. So the OP is not giving anyone a deal - this is the market price - the difference is that they do not take clear pics of the affected areas. When you zoom in you don't have access to the entire pit area  as it's off the picture. Also  I never accused the OP of selling smelly items - what I have seen are vague descriptions without pictures to identify the problems. Then they are coming to the boards whining about buyers. They use general descriptions - slight discoloration or may have small stains - to win cases when there is more than just a little discoloration or bigger stains. They win these cases because the CS only have the pics to look at that conveniently don't address the true problem.

The OP is not doing themselves any favors and it makes the rest of us look bad as well. Meanwhile buyers will go elsewhere as they feel they can't trust sellers on Ebay. He may be getting sales but he also has many more problems than the rest of us and my sales are right up their with him.

Message 73 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I've sold high end clothes with stains before pre owned for over $110. There is a market for stained clothes

There certainly is.

The usual keywords are "well worn" .

Many sellers do equally well selling pictures of the modelled clothing as they do actually selling the stained items.

Different strokes.....

The key difference is that you describe the clothing accurately. OP minimizes flaws and doesn't take photos that fully depict them. And, it's literally almost every week he's on here lamenting these problems inevitably resulting once the item has been seen and inspected by the buyer.

Belle
Message 74 of 152
latest reply

I am Disguted!

@tunicaslot wrote:

@getitright1234 wrote:

Lets get some facts straight:

1.  Not all left over stains leave a smell/odor.   The OP said there was a stain, he did not say there was an odor .   Some of you went over the top by falsely writing:  the sold top had/ or probably had an odor.   Go look in your closet, many of you would find a top that has a stain on it and it does not have an odor.   In fact, depending on where the stain is located, I would gladly purchase an item with a stain if the price was right.  

2.    I researched this top and found it generally sells new for $20-$30 dollars.   If new cost is $20, and the OP sold it for $7, that is a 65% discount, if new is $30, that is a 77% discount.  We all know people come here (to eBay) looking for a bargain, so though some of you clearly would never purchase a stained item, there are others who have no problem with it.   

3.  Obviously, buyers do buy things that are torn/ripped/stained/damaged; we witnessed this all the time on eBay and elsewhere.     How many designer handbags have we seen that were dirty,  tattered, and torn;  yet there are buyers willing to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars.   Smiley Wink

In My Opinion:

As far as I am concern, as long as the seller makes full disclosure in pictures and in the written description, the buyer(s) should have nothing to complain about.  

We have all heard the saying:  another man's trash is another man's treasures.......that applies to women as well:  another woman's trash is another woman treasure ..................And another man's trash can be another woman's treasure......................................well you get the drift.  

OP, keep doing what works for "You", if only 10% of the time you have a problem, try to get that down in single digits, by making full disclosure in your pictures  and written description!!!!!

Good luck to you!!!!

I'm going to correct a few points - not sure if you checked solds but this shirt used typically sells for $4-$6 dollars -  BFHO even sold 2 new ones for $6 and $6.50 respectively. So the OP is not giving anyone a deal - this is the market price - the difference is that they do not take clear pics of the affected areas.

In my search, I found this shirt retails new for $20-$30.  If you found that it sells for $4-6 used and $6-$6.50 new, yet this buyer paid $7 for a used shirt with the "written" descriptition :  "Slight discoloration under pit may come out in wash. Very light. Normal with workout tanks when deodorant is used. Shirt has been washed but some know better cleaning methods for stuff such as this. Almost not even noticeable."  Then, we have a buyer that did not do their homework.  

When you zoom in you don't have access to the entire pit area  as it's off the picture. Also  I never accused the OP of selling smelly items - what I have seen are vague descriptions without pictures to identify the problems. Then they are coming to the boards whining about buyers. They use general descriptions - slight discoloration or may have small stains - to win cases when there is more than just a little discoloration or bigger stains. They win these cases because the CS only have the pics to look at that conveniently don't address the true problem.

Because the OP is a seller still in good standing with good ratings, (and) winning cases, he must be doing "most" things right.  We all have room for improvement!

The OP is not doing themselves any favors and it makes the rest of us look bad as well. Meanwhile buyers will go elsewhere as they feel they can't trust sellers on Ebay. He may be getting sales but he also has many more problems than the rest of us and my sales are right up their with him.

Buyers have choices, so if the OP per your belief is not "overall" doing a good job with his business/store, he is in fact making the rest of us look good.  This OP has every right to come to this board and express his concerns ......................without being labeled a whinner.  

Message 75 of 152
latest reply