cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to protect yourself from freight forwarder scam?

1. Besides adding a signature confirmation, what are other things to do when shipping to a freight forwarder?

2. Is a seller prone to chargebacks the same way when shipping directly to a buyer? 

3. Anything else to consider?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@brandsonhands wrote:

1. Besides adding a signature confirmation, what are other things to do when shipping to a freight forwarder?

You don't need Signature Confirmation on sales below $750. Below that threshold, it gives you no more seller protection than what Delivery Confirmation provides for free.

@brandsonhands wrote:

2. Is a seller prone to chargebacks the same way when shipping directly to a buyer? 

3. Anything else to consider?

A buyer can start a chargeback regardless of how it was shipped to him. Your delivery obligation is complete as soon as your tracking shows a Delivered status to the City and ZIP of the Ship-To: address you received with the payment. 

I don't see any red flags or high-scam items in your recent sales, but your international-themed items are probably popular with offshore buyers, so you can expect to get a certain percentage of those using reshippers, and that would not be unusual or suspicious. I have shipped to international buyers via reshippers many times with no problems.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Over the years, I've had a dozen (or two) buyers who have gone through freight forwarders... no problems.

I didn't add signature confirmation, and actually worried less that the recipient would want to return the item(s).

I wish I had a dozen (or two) more...

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

As a user of freight forwarding services, let me also point out that we are at higher risk of losing (money/item) than the sellers. some sellers deliberately ship bad product to you once they observe that your checkout address isn't a residential address. most times, sellers only have to check reviews of the buyer using a FF and they are good to go. For us, we have to make sure that we are buying from a reputable seller and hope that they don't play a fast one on us. in the last 6 weeks, I have lost 6 computers to a "fraudulent" ebay seller (preownedtech).

Message 4 of 4
latest reply