cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to close unpaid item case automatically opened

The ebay system has opened an unpaid item case automatically for me, but I would like to wait for payment for about one week as I can communicate with the buyer via messages. How can I close the case without recording an unpaid item record on the buyer's account?

Or, can I cancel the order and receive credit for the final value fee with no penalty on either side?

The shipping address of the order is incorrect, so I think it will need to be canceled anyway.

I wonder if someone could advise.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@albertabrightalberta 

"You can't turn it off on the item for which the case was automatically opened. "

That is incorrect. Here's a screen shot from the policy page that I linked above:

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 2.57.52 PM.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If the buyer hasn't paid yet, then he will be able to correct the name and/or address when he pays. There's a "Change" link right on the payment form.

Instead of canceling the transaction or closing the unpaid item claim, it would probably be better if you just  turn off the unpaid item assistant, so the claim doesn't automatically close 4 days after the assistant opened it.  With the assistant turned off, you can still close the claim manually up to 36 days after the transaction if the buyer doesn't pay.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-item-assistant.html

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank you very much for letting me know that the buyer can correct the shipping address when making payment.

I tried to turn off the unpaid item assistant, but the "Turn off UPI Assistant" link was gray, and I was unable to proceed.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The link that you should use is near the bottom of the page that I liked above; you have to to to the Resolution Center because the unpaid item case ha already been opened..

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@japanesque_shop wrote:

Thank you very much for letting me know that the buyer can correct the shipping address when making payment.

I tried to turn off the unpaid item assistant, but the "Turn off UPI Assistant" link was gray, and I was unable to proceed.

You can't turn it off on the item for which the case was automatically opened. But you can turn it off for any other listings by going into your account site preferences. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta 

"You can't turn it off on the item for which the case was automatically opened. "

That is incorrect. Here's a screen shot from the policy page that I linked above:

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 2.57.52 PM.png

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank you very much for all your help. I went to the Resolution Center, and selected Take action link of the item, but for some reason, the dropdown menu did not appear. I have already contacted the ebay Customer Service, but have not received a reply.

So, I requested the cancellation of the order for the reason "Buyer requested shipping to a country I don't ship to."

The shipping address is Finland, but the buyer actually wants the item to be shipped to Russia. Now airmail service from Japan to Russia is not working, so buyer is asking her friend in Italy to receive the item for her.

Upon submission of my cancellation request, the case was closed. It was displayed that if the buyer accepts the cancellation, I will receive the final value fee credit.

Sorry for further question, but I'm a bit afraid that the cancellation may affect my seller performance. Do you think that I will receive "defect" for this cancellation?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

You should be fine as you cancelled due to a legit problem with an address ("Buyer requested shipping to a country I don't ship to"), and not an out of stock or other seller reason you couldn't fulfill the order.  I've done some crazy shipping (once I had a customer in Hong Kong who was registered in Great Britain ask me to ship her item to a hotel in Bangkok where she would be staying.  I did so and it got to her with no problems at all), but at this time with international shipping being compromised, I would not be shipping stuff to Italy for a customer in Finland who actually wanted it sent to Russia. Too many failure points.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you very much for your comment. eBay Customer Support has also confirmed that this cancellation will not affect my selling performance negatively.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you very much for your help. I received a reply from eBay Customer Service as follows:

1. Go to My eBay. You may need to sign in.

2. Place your pointer over the "Account" tab, and then select "Resolution Center."

3. Click the "Take action" link next to the case you want to close. (Need to turn off the Unpaid Item Assistant firstly )

4. Click the "Receive fee credit" link.

5. In the "Have you received payment from the buyer" section, select "No."

6. Click "Close case."

So, your answer is correct.

I was unable to select the dropdown menu probably because I did not turn off the Unpaid Item Assistance priorly.

I was successfully able to cancel these transactions, and the eBay Customer Support has also confirmed that I will not receive defect for the cancellations.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Okay following your steps my only drop down option is receive final fee credit. The unpaid item assistant started automatically for me . So does that mean his quote "You can't turn it off on the item for which the case was automatically opened. "  true??

Message 11 of 11
latest reply