cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to appeal defects and ratings

Back in May and early June I had some customers open cases that hadn’t received their sport cards yet. eBay would contact me and give me 3 options: 1) update tracking - there would be nothing to update because I shipped it through eBay and the tracking was already there. 2) refund the buyer - I didn’t want to do this right away because I shipped their cards and was just waiting for it to arrive. 3) send buyer a message - I always did this and was very contrite and explained that if they didn’t receive it soon that I would gladly refund their money to them. Usually within 3-5 days eBay would automatically rule in buyers favor and refund the buyer ( I was ok with this but I guess eBay considers this a defect and penalizes you). So with my 90 day look back eBay said on my rating date that I would be “below standard seller” from top rated because of defects and unresolved cases. Again, I did everything that I thought I was supposed to do and the customers were refunded their money. On a side-note, I have reached out to everyone of those customers that I was penalized for and they all have received their cards. So I called eBay and tried to appeal this decision and the new rating but it failed and they said I would have to wait until the next month where it would rate me top rated seller again. But when the next month came and I was a top rated seller, I looked at the next month and what I would be, and it drop me back down to “below standard seller” again. I called and they said since I was a “below standard seller” that they would now rate me for one year instead of the 90 days as usual. Now, since I was penalized for 30 days, they are now trying to penalize me again for the same cases for a year. I have called and tried to appeal this, talk to them and I have gotten nowhere. I am a seller that has over 4000 sales and a 100% perfect feedback review and this is the most egregious thing that has ever happened to me. I am unable to promote sales, and my views and sales have gone to absolutely zero. If anybody has any insight, or anybody, I can talk to to try to get this changed I would greatly appreciate it as this is affecting my livelihood and my ability to support my family. I appreciate anybody’s help in advance. Thanks Troy Drummond

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Over 4,000 sales and you're just figuring out how a return request works, and what the penalties are for not handling it correctly? Color me incredulous.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It wasn’t for returns, it was customers stating they never got the cards. If you don’t have anything useful to say, stay off the thread.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Ok, fair enough, try this.  Over 4,000 sales and you're just figuring out how an INR request works, and what the penalties are for not handling it correctly? 

Let's start with #1) update tracking.  You have to re-enter the tracking info on the INR request.  Useful?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Man, you are something else. You must get some weird enjoyment with messing with people. This just solidifies my point that no one wants to help whether it’s eBay or other persons. Just horrible. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

If you refund the buyer before the 4 days you do not get penalize. If you refund buyer before eBay tells you where you refund you are OK. Somehow you let the refunds slip beyond 4 days. Responding to a buyer does not give you another 4 days to refund. You respond to buyer and refund.

And unless a buyer emails you about a delay...I would not contact them about a delay.  Let buyer open a claim and then contact them outside the claim through "contact buyer". You probably got your times to refund off and thus eBay stepped in and refunded them.

You need to keep selling and a lot to get the ratings up. Defects are our worst nightmare.

I had someone open a claim Saturday and mentioned where is my item. Ha...I refunded him immediately that day. Next day he said item arrived and wants to refund me. I said...just email me next time and don't open a claim. I said also its too complicated to refund me and put a "Happy Thanksgiving" at the end.

It made me feel good knowing I didn't need his few dollars to go on. Just my opinion.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

You know, every one of your questions can be answered by reading the User Agreement and the volumes of info that eBay provides on the website, like how to handle returns and INRs.  This just solidifies my point that no one wants to do any homework for themselves.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I will literally have to sell over 1500 more items to get it to .30% or better to get my rating up. That is going to be impossible with this rating because I’m getting no views or sales. I’m

going to have to wait a year to get out from underneath us, this is absolutely horrible. I don’t understand why they were rating me for 90 days now all of a sudden they’re gonna rate me for one year and bring back the cases that I was just penalized for. It’s almost like double Jeopardy.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving! I’m heading over to read all 3,653 pages of the EBay agreements to satisfy hartungcards. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Better late than never.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Look up the word “incel”, probably fits you perfectly. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hey Troy, I checked your recent sales.  You may want to look up the definition of "absolutely zero."

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I had to look at a negative feedback...that the buyer tried to change...for a year.

Most of my stuff is sent with a .66 stamp...no tracking. So I don't know where the tracking thing came about.for you

And I buy my USA stamps in lots on eBay under face value so I save money...and use them to mail my stuff off. Never used an eBay shipping label.

Did you try playing with your "titles"...drop the year...add the player...I assume the player is more important.

A seller should be a little vague about what he is selling...too specific in the title and you hit only a few lookers.You can add stuff in descriptions and "condition"...Condition comes right under title.

Play with your titles and see what happens to get more notice.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply