cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many views before sale?

I understand not all categories are the same but like categories where it is more competitive, how many views before a sale happens for you? Books is a category with lots of listings for instance. thanks

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I guess it depends on the category, how flooded the category is and how popular the individual item is.

The majority of my sales take a few months and the items have low views (under 50-100 for several months total) and low/no watchers. For the most part I sell old cookbooks, recipe booklets and old paper items. These are items that only a very tiny segment of buyers are going to be interested in. I don't expect a lot of views.

Besides, views mean nothing. The view counter isn't accurate and I ignore it. 

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@patrokolos wrote:

I understand not all categories are the same but like categories where it is more competitive, how many views before a sale happens for you? Books is a category with lots of listings for instance. thanks

I've never paid much attention to the views unless the number gets really  high . I have one item for sale right now that has generated  somewhere around 280 views in like about a weeks time ,, it's got 9 watchers  as well .. Ya know the kind of thing that USE to make me feel hopeful  for a quick sale . I think it will sell eventually  but at a snail's pace - Tulips . 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Who knows?  I've had items sell that had zero views!

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@patrokolos wrote:

Most of my sold items have somewhere between 1 and 100 views. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@patrokolos wrote:

I just had a look to confirm what I suspected........

More than half of my recent sales had a conversion rate of 30% or higher with many over 50%.

This means that most of my stuff is selling with only 1 - 3 views. My click-through rate is about 3 - 4% for those sales so basically my stuff is showing up in search results but getting few Page Views as a result but the views that do happen lead to actual sales a high percentage of the time.

I'm selling mostly in Media and generally fairly obscure low demand items so the numbers make sense to me.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

JUST FOR YOU i tool a look at my views vs. sales (ok i was a little curious too). 

Even more confusing is views vs. watchers vs. sales.

I picked out the only 3 items that had more than 10,000 views.

Item A ($15 item):

11,241 views / 18 watchers / 58 sold

Item B ($8 item):

16,237 views / 43 watchers / 340 sold

Item C ($15 item):

11,301 views / 12 watchers / 61 sold

It looks like price also factors in somehow. If you can make any sense from those numbers, please let me know!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

It is a random thing.  On Sunday,  I had a sale that had 1 view - it sold immediately.  I priced it too cheap??  lol   Other items have 100s of views & 0 offers.  The consistency on eBay makes me pull my hair out.  lol   Good luck to us all.   🙂

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I just sold a item C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Hi, my experience here has taught me that there is little correlation between my sales and the number of views/watchers. I list a little of everything, collectibles, vintage items, high fashion clothing, fashion accessories, whatever i think will sell. Recently i had 70 views appear in 3 seconds after listing. Bots run wild? So, while having views and watchers is a signal the items are showing, it signals little else to me.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Wow, thats a lot of looky loos!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@patrokolos wrote:

Around 10-20 views with a few watchers. It's more or less depending on what you sell.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

That answer can vary anywhere from 1 to 1,000. I can tell you for a fact the more views without a sale the less chance of it selling. As the view count increases that would mean it is worn out more than buyers are looking to buy it for, or it is priced too high.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

there is not average number. it's about 20 views, I think 🙂
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

i had to do it and pulled a calc on my screen, what you are saying is this approximatelly higher priced items 200 views to a sale and lower price about 50 or so. i have been trying to establish a baseline of views to sales especialy of higher priced items in a category that lists a lot of items for sale such as antique books, for me it works like this, i get a sale at about 200 views and then little after i get a sale of an item with small amount of views as if the account attracted more buyers through the more traveled sale item and the next sale was of residual nature.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply