cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do you give buyers who haven't paid?

Buyer won the bid on Sunday morning but still hasn't paid. I've sent two reminders with one saying I don't mind if they need time to pay but could they please let me know and they haven't responded at all.

From what I can tell they've got a good buying history with lots of "prompt payment". It's a good final bid, too but I'm just thinking after six days and no response, are they really going to pay? 

How long do you give buyers and have you ever had people pay after a significant period of time with no communication? 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: How long do you give buyers who haven't paid?

Wait 4 days.

On the 5th day cancel the sale. Reason: Buyer did not pay.

The buyer will receive strike.

Sellers can block buyers with 2 (or was it 3?) of these strikes.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Usually I will err on the side of generous and give buyers 7 days to pay before I cancel the order.

However, I do not send any reminders, as eBay sends enough of those. 

So far, I have only had to cancel one order, and that was also someone with a high feedback score and glowing reviews. 

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I don’t get very many slow pays maybe a couple a month on average. I’ve cancelled maybe a couple of orders a year because I very patient unlike most sellers. I don’t mind waiting and I’ve had people pay after a couple weeks. I just send friendly reminders every couple of days.

eBay is a successful side gig for me at the moment until I decide I no longer want to work at my regular corporate sales job I’ve had since I graduated from college 29 years ago. 

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Ebay will give the buyer a payment reminder. On the 5th day after the sale just cancel the order and block the buyer. If you do not, the buyer will not get a strike for non payment and will continue his antics with other sellers.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I never understand why a buyer with a good account history ghosts the seller and never pays. 5 days is the most I give a new buyer to pay if they have not contacted me and arranged a delayed payment. I have a bit more leniency for repeat buyers as sometimes they are bidding on other items. If you cancel after 5 days buyer not paid also block their id. Don't give new buyers who don't contact you any longer than that to pay.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

A seller can cancel, using the reason "buyer did not pay" after day #4.

You have 30 days to do this.

They "have a good buying record" because what else can an eBay buyer legitimately have?

Might be time for you to review the information about eBay selling. 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

What else could any buyer have except "glowing reviews"?

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Two in twelve months.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I never understand why a buyer with a good account history ghosts the seller and never pays. 5 days is the most I give a new buyer to pay if they have not contacted me and arranged a delayed payment. I have a bit more leniency for repeat buyers as sometimes they are bidding on other items. If you cancel after 5 days buyer not paid also block their id. Don't give new buyers who don't contact you any longer than that to pay.

Unlike BIN with immediate payment required where you know the buyer is sitting at the computer or on their phone making the purchase that very moment you never know with auctions which can run from 3-10 days. Of course there are the sport bidders who have nothing better to do and consider it fun but there are also understandable situations.  If the bidder placed their bid early there a million things that can happen between the time they placed their bid an the auction closes. 

About 178,000 people die everyday around the world, many more are involved in accidents, many have medical emergencies and wind up in the hospital, there are countless family emergencies and then of course natural disasters. If the buyer is not responding to you it may be that they can't. Buyers who don't pay are not all doing so for malicious intent.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

A little farfetched. Five days to pay is plenty. The odds of emergencies you speak of are 0.001%. Maybe if there was a natural disaster such as hurricane and the buyer is from the area, but otherwise I see no excuse to to not pay after 4 business days. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

If the message and ask for a couple days I usually give it to them.

If they don’t message and simply don’t pay I cancel when Im done shipping the next day. None of this three, four, eight day stuff. I select buyer asked to cancel because not paying is asking to cancel. I don’t block them because I don’t have a lot of space on my list. They usually don’t do it twice.

For everything that happens conditions exist such that nothing else could have happened.
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@lloydyft wrote: ... From what I can tell they've got a good buying history with lots of "prompt payment". ...

But you can't really tell.  Sellers are not able to leave negative or neutral ratings for buyers, and they also are forbidden from leaving a "negative positive," i.e., a negative comment with a positive rating. If they do so, the buyer can complain and get it removed.  Thus, even terrible buyers can have lovely feedback histories.

Like some of the other responders, I file on day 5 if I haven't heard from the buyer.  I do not send any reminders or invoices.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I don't send "reminders" as eBay takes care of that, although I am very quick to respond to any communication coming from the buyer - IF ANY - and will work with them. I cancel after 4 days and move on. 

In my case I have very few non-payers, so perhaps I'm not one to give advice. 

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I have the same problem right now, but it was a buy it now,that I sent an offer, but NO pay & No response!!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply