cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important are original sleeves on 45 rpm records?

Came across a bunch of 45s which seem to be pretty good titles - records are very good but original sleeves are missing or in terrible shape. Should I toss or list without sleeves?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: How important are original sleeves on 45 rpm records?

How many do you have? It would be better to sell with a sleeve.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

When I sold my record collection the sleeves were usually worth more than the record.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@wonderdogdawn wrote:

Came across a bunch of 45s which seem to be pretty good titles - records are very good but original sleeves are missing or in terrible shape. Should I toss or list without sleeves?

That depends upon whether they had custom picture sleeves, or just generic company sleeves.

If the titles seem to be in demand, I would invest in a package of new generic paper sleeves which are widely available here on eBay. I would not sell a 45 without a sleeve.

Most collectors do not care about the original generic company sleeve. But if the single originally came with a custom picture sleeve and it is missing, that can greatly affect the value.

Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/315127236597?itmmeta=01HV4BZ4E7SN5YQ01TB3DM51R1&hash=item495f0c07f5:g:HKkAA...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@wonderdogdawn wrote:

Check the Sold listings to see how those titles performed. In general I would say that unless the records themselves are obviously damaged, raggedy sleeves should not be deal-killers, and should not be discarded. (When listing records, you can specify separate condition ratings for the record, the inner sleeve and the outer album cover.)

You can purchase replacement plain white paper sleeves in quantity and in various sizes, which is always good for records that have lost their inner sleeve altogether.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

An original sleeve in good condition will add some value.  But many people buy 45s to put into a jukebox, the sleeve is a minor consideration.  But always best just to buy some generic sleeves since they are pretty inexpensive, especially for those 45s without sleeves.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply