Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How eBay Is Helping Sellers Affected by Hurricanes Harvey & Irma

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: How eBay Is Helping Sellers Affected by Hurricanes Harvey & Irma

@auctionpet wrote:

In a bot email response I received, it stated ebay was still assessing the affected areas and would update when they had protections in place.

All they need to do is go to the State pages and see which Counties were declared disasters. It's not that hard. The government has the Counties listed.

Well, at least one of their wonderful, all-knowing bots deigned to answer!  Wow!

Smiley Surprised

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 16 of 97
latest reply

@uscprestigepostal wrote:

I am seller shipping to Florida. Florida buyer asked me to hold off shipping for four days to ensure their house there was okay and postal delivery resumed.  eBay sent me message I was shipping "late".  eBay should be understanding in the aftermath of these storms and realize some buyers may want a later shipping date.

Short of calling eBay's customer service, there seems to be no way for a seller to log a buyer's request for shipping on a later date.

Yep - I am in the same boat. Buyer requested that I wait until the 18th to ship. Concierge said not to worry - it will drop off in three months anyway. Can't they just read the request from the buyer and remove the ding? Guess not?

Message 17 of 97
latest reply

@uscprestigepostal wrote:

I am seller shipping to Florida. Florida buyer asked me to hold off shipping for four days to ensure their house there was okay and postal delivery resumed.  eBay sent me message I was shipping "late".  eBay should be understanding in the aftermath of these storms and realize some buyers may want a later shipping date.

Short of calling eBay's customer service, there seems to be no way for a seller to log a buyer's request for shipping on a later date.

Oh and calling to CS won't help. I have Concierge and they are usually capable of doing almost anything to help me and in this case they were not able to. I was floored because they have always been able to solve more complex issues easily before. This seemed like a no brainer to me.

Message 18 of 97
latest reply

FWIW... I had a sale last Saturday going to a freight forwarder in Doral, FL. (Miami). I shipped first class on Monday as I would have under normal circumstances. Literally 15 minutes after I dropped off the package, tracking showed this:

Processing Exception, Regional Weather Delay

The package arrived in Florida yesterday, and in Miami this morning.

Ebay's expected delivery date has been updated to Sept. 21 for this package. This, to me, shows some level of protection for sellers shipping to affected areas. It remains to be seen if I'll get a defect. Sellers who ship late at a buyer's request may need to call CS and show them the request. Sellers who shipped late without a request from the buyer should have shipped on time.

Message 19 of 97
latest reply

The automated email response I received from my inquiry stated ebay would protect sellers shipping TO or FROM Florida. It said no action by sellers would be required. It didn't give any further specifics.
Message 20 of 97
latest reply

seller cannot change terms of sale like shipping after it is completed. is seller supposed to know a monster hurricane will cause such devastation.
Message 21 of 97
latest reply

@oaklandmaryland wrote:
seller cannot change terms of sale like shipping after it is completed. is seller supposed to know a monster hurricane will cause such devastation.

No, a seller can not make after-sale changes - according to the site/ebay's rules.

However, ebay can make exceptions for any and/or all cases - extreme or otherwise.  Sometimes they even say that they will make exceptions.

Not always do they say WHAT those exceptions are or WHEN they will be made.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 22 of 97
latest reply

Everybody keeps saying that this is 'ebay's sandbox' and they can do what they want.

I figure they are doing what they want.

Sometimes it even helps others - maybe.

(personal opinion - your mileage may vary)

Message 23 of 97
latest reply

By giving defects to TRS group for deliveries delayed by hurricanes WILL help ebay weed out some more of the TRS people saving ebay a miserly 10% discount and opening the door for more chinese sellers. Ebay has a reasoner every action. No use even calling CS.

Message 24 of 97
latest reply

I'm in one of the Florida counties hardest hit by Hurricane Irma and now dealing with the aftermath and damages. Power was restored Sunday evening, internet Monday. Couldn't get online for the first two days following the storm using data on my cell phone. When I did, I discovered I had a sale. My buyer was very understanding of the storm's impact and shipping delay, but I'm still afraid of eBay giving me a defect. I'm also looking for the coupon and help with fees. I was finally getting back on my feet following my mother's long illness and death, then a serious accident with several broken bones, now Irma. Should I email hurricanerelief@ebay, or will eBay automatically apply the fee waivers and discount in the near future?
Message 25 of 97
latest reply

@community_team

Thank you for this. When are impacted sellers actually going to see the things you mention. I've not received a $30 supplies coupon. I would like to be sure I'm not going to be charged for my store, as I'm otherwise cancelling. I've been doing nothing but cleaning up, after this hurricane mess and barely have time to devote to listing right now. I had no internet up til a few days ago. Please confirm when your implementing or that you already have. CS has no answers.
Message 26 of 97
latest reply

@packratville wrote:
I'm in one of the Florida counties hardest hit by Hurricane Irma and now dealing with the aftermath and damages. Power was restored Sunday evening, internet Monday. Couldn't get online for the first two days following the storm using data on my cell phone. When I did, I discovered I had a sale. My buyer was very understanding of the storm's impact and shipping delay, but I'm still afraid of eBay giving me a defect. I'm also looking for the coupon and help with fees. I was finally getting back on my feet following my mother's long illness and death, then a serious accident with several broken bones, now Irma. Should I email hurricanerelief@ebay, or will eBay automatically apply the fee waivers and discount in the near future?

I too live in a really hard hit area with power just restored on sunday. Due to the length of no power and having a small child we left the state and havent been back since. My ebay stock is still safe at home but too much to bring with us. Before the storm I placed my store on vacation and extended my handling time.  In the following days after the storm I had numerous offers and sales. I wrote to the hurricanerelief@ebay.com email and this is what they said:

"Thank you for reaching out regarding eBay’s hurricane relief efforts; our sympathies are with you and yours as you recover from this terrible disaster. I want to confirm that we do recognize that you are located in an impacted area.

As you’ve requested, I have ended all your active listings, and I have cancelled the two recent orders you have referenced. Please don’t fear, these actions will not have a negative impact on your seller performance.

The relief protections apply to impacted sellers, those shipping from or to the affected areas. The last thing we want to do is create more work than necessary for our members as they go through this difficult period, therefore we plan to automate as much as possible.

We will protect you from the following automatically:

o You will not receive defects for out-of-stock or cases closed without seller resolution

o Your late shipment rate will not be impacted

o Store subscription fees will be waived for a three month period

In addition, there are automatic protections specific to eBay business sellers that you qualify for:

o A $30 promoted listing credit

o A $30 shipping supply coupon

Once we finalize dates for the above promoted listing credit and coupon, we will update you either by email or through the eBay Community boards.

Thank you for writing and we wish you the best in getting your business back on its feet as soon as possible."

I suggest any seller affected by hurricane Irma write as each persons situation is unique and for me personally they were very helpful and provided much relief.

I hope this helps!

Message 27 of 97
latest reply

@thatisrathernice

Have you seen the promised $30 shipping supplies coupon/credit in your account?

The hurricane has been gone for over a week, it seems their dragging their feet with finalizing dates. Most of what your received is an automated response.
Message 28 of 97
latest reply

Prayers to all the folks affected  We fared much better than most.  I'm quite the skeptic that anyone is going to get anything from Ebay.  Maybe just feeling the burn from getting yet another negative for a item I shipped/was lost by usps/and still received a negative.  Only in ebays managements mind can you lose the item, the shipping cost and it still be your fault.

Message 29 of 97
latest reply

@sodelight wrote:
@thatisrathernice

Have you seen the promised $30 shipping supplies coupon/credit in your account?

The hurricane has been gone for over a week, it seems their dragging their feet with finalizing dates. Most of what your received is an automated response.

No I have not. Have you written to the email address to atleast put yourself on their affected sellers list? I don't know if writting to the email makes a difference but I have a strange feeling it does. About when the credits are supposed to be in our accounts, quoting their words in the email "Once we finalize dates for the above promoted listing credit and coupon, we will update you either by email or through the eBay Community boards." I don't think they have finalized how/when/or which sellers will recieve such credits. Remember alot of people are still without power and unaccounted for. Its going to take months to get back to normal for the state(s) affected. These hurricanes are a big mess for everyone and to expect ebay to just handout credits instantly is in my opinion a great expectation. Even FEMA doesn't just throw people money like that, although it would be very helpful 😉

Message 30 of 97
latest reply