cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you remove stickers/store price tags/stickers from items you resell?

I have googled this and found many results, but, nothing I try seems to work.  Mainly I work with getting stickers off of plastic or glass.  I think I've tried almost everything!  What do you guys recommend/use?  Thanks so much for your input!

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: How do you remove stickers/store price tags/stickers from items you resell?

I purchased some ALLKare adhesive remover wipes. They work good, but stink.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

I swear by a product called "un-do." Not capitalized, hyphen required, or you'll never find it.  I think it's most commonly used by people who are decorative paper crafters (greeting cards, scrapbooking, etc.).

Among many other reasons, I like it because it does not leave a greasy film/residue like Goo Gone, etc., or a strong chemical odor.

It's great for paper crafting because it doesn't damage the item you've accidentally glued down in the wrong place and now need to lift up and reposition, like a photo, for example.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@gina_the_greek   A lot depends on what the stickers or residual sticker adhesive is stuck to.  If it's dishware, metal pots and pans, plastic blister packs, etc you can use 3 in 1 oil because most adhesives are petroleum based.  Lighter fluid will work as will rubbing alcohol although that's more work.  If you want to minimize smells then get some duct tape at the hardware store, tear off a piece, reverse it and use the sticky side of the duct tape to lift off the sticker adhesive, this too takes a little time but it works. 

On old chipboard packaging with a finished side (like cereal boxes) its a little more challenging, alcohol may be  a good approach since it will impart less damage on the substrate and once it dries there is not smell.  The duct tape approach could wind up pulling off the finish on the package if you aren't careful.  On some items I don't mess with old stickers, I just call them out in Conditions and make sure there is a picture of them.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Ronsonol or Zippo fluid (naptha) works well and doesn't smell so strong as GooGone. Available cheap anywhere.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

I keep a bottle of Dif wallpaper remover. The thick gel. I happened to have some years ago when I started selling online and it’s never failed me. 

Diane

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Heat (the sun or a hair dryer). Many times stickers are easily removable just by warming them up.

Chemicals - mostly lighter fluid. I use Goo Gone occasionally, but have found that it sometimes removes color/ink from book covers/dust jackets. To remove stickers from dust jackets, I apply lighter fluid to the back of the dust jacket. It seeps through the paper and dissolves the adhesive.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

1.jpg2.jpg

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

I use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol after I have removed as much of the sticker as possible. The 70% doesn't work anywhere near as well. Just make sure you test on a less visible spot. It can remove certain finishes. 

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Back in the day I used to help my brother with action figure collectibles. We always had to remove the price stickers of off very fragile and delicate plastic blister and cardboard back packaging with designs. (You know how picky these collectors get about the “mint packaging”).

Anyway, I swear by this solvent called Bestine. I believe it’s used for crafts, my brother used it during art school. It has a strong smell but it evaporates super fast... so you can actually use a liberal amount on the price sticker the cardboard and not worry about it getting soaked. It would dissolve the adhesive instantly regardless of how old the sticker had been there. The sticker would just slide right off. And it never ruined any paint or design on the packaging. No residue too. Amazing.

Here’s a random listing I found of it https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bestine-Solvent-and-thinner-16-oz-201/373092433636?hash=item56de0abee4:g:xK...

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Depending on what your items are - I run thing through the dishwasher if that's an option.

ie: on coffee mugs or pyrex dishes etc. - and stickers are off - or just simply wipe off.

I have great luck just putting "hard items" in the sink w/hot soapy water - for about 30 minutes.

- That way i can clean the item and also remove the sticker in one process.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

3M packaging tape over the sticker. Rub well. Rip it off fast  like a band aid. The sticker will remain but it will be blank. The tape will take up the price.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 26 of 31
latest reply

I have good luck with wd-40

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@whering660 wrote:

I keep a bottle of Dif wallpaper remover. The thick gel. I happened to have some years ago when I started selling online and it’s never failed me. 

Diane

Awesome idea! 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 28 of 31
latest reply

A bit of soap and warm water has always worked for me.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Goo Gone, Scotty Peeler, Plastic razor blades and what little fingernails I have 😁 

Message 30 of 31
latest reply