cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report a username policy violation?

Got a couple nastygrams today from a member who's username includes "yahoocom" at the end of it (IE, "xxxxxxyahoocom").  I looked up to be sure, and that should be at least one violation of the username policy - it implies an email address because all one needs to do is add the "@" and dot at the right places.   It could also be argued it is "a term that is similar to, or might be confused with, a third party's trademark or brand" because of the use of the Yahoo name. 

However the link on that page to report takes me to a multiple choice options page that leaves me no way to report this violation, and the Contact Us page I go in circles with no option giving me a means to talk to anyone or report it.  

So i'm trying to figure out where to go with it.  Does anyone know?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: How do I report a username policy violation?

Save your time and effort.

And did he contact you out of the blue, or did you contact him first about his name not meeting ebay standards

How old is the account.  Some are grandfathered in before newer changes took place.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

As I said, I got a couple of nastygrams this morning and happened to notice the member's handle potentially violated the policy, so I looked up the page detailing the policy.   I haven't said anything to them about it.   

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I am confused as to why another member who you are not doing business with would just contact you out of the blue for no reason?

And if that is what happened, just block him.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

While having an email address is a policy violation now - it wasn't back in the day.  When ebay got all paranoid about off ebay transaction back then and changed the rules about having email addresses for ids, they had an exception (like all ebay policies) that said that you couldn't register new ebay ids with addresses but the one you have already are grandfathered in.  ebay did push hard to change the ones that still existed, but never outlawed them.

So check and see how old the id is and that should tell you whether the id is in violation or not.

(*Bleep*)
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

Got a couple nastygrams today from a member who's username includes "yahoocom" at the end of it (IE, "xxxxxxyahoocom").  I looked up to be sure, and that should be at least one violation of the username policy - it implies an email address because all one needs to do is add the "@" and dot at the right places.   It could also be argued it is "a term that is similar to, or might be confused with, a third party's trademark or brand" because of the use of the Yahoo name. 

However the link on that page to report takes me to a multiple choice options page that leaves me no way to report this violation, and the Contact Us page I go in circles with no option giving me a means to talk to anyone or report it.  

So i'm trying to figure out where to go with it.  Does anyone know?

Odd. 

I looked up the policy and you're right- a username can't contain an email address. But the link to report it takes you to the Report a Listing drop downs.

There's really no way to do it that I could see.

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Okay, I'm an idiot.  I went back to the first page and scrolled down and it gave me the call link.  I got somebody in India, by the sound of it, and I had to spell the name right out, but I was able to report it.  

Whether anything comes of it, who knows, but supposedly smeone is going to look at it.  And that's all I wanted.  

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@postingid7659

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/identity-user-ids.html

http://ocswf.ebay.com/rti/compose?items=null&seller=null

I can get to report a store name, but not a user name  😞

Nobody is grandfathered in.  Old Usernames that contained email addresses were required to be changed.

Listing Practices>>Links and Logos>>web address in store name

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/User-name-and-email-address-match/qaq-p/268640...

Also, in your ebay page I see no mention about old accounts who have not made recent changes.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

I did a quick google and those accounts prior to 2001 that did not make any changes after that, are apparently being left alone.

But my question is why tattle on this guy in the first place if he is not hurting anyone.

Scammers yes.  But this?

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

postingid7659 wrote:
Got a couple nastygrams today from a member who's username includes "yahoocom" at the end of it (IE, "xxxxxxyahoocom"). I looked up to be sure, and that should be at least one violation of the username policy - it implies an email address because all one needs to do is add the "@" and dot at the right places. It could also be argued it is "a term that is similar to, or might be confused with, a third party's trademark or brand" because of the use of the Yahoo name.

So i'm trying to figure out where to go with it. Does anyone know?

postingid7659:

Take screen shots of the couple nastygrams,

Along with the “Fictitious E~mail address"

Construct an E~mail; attach the screen shots

Than send it to E~Bay explaining why you feel threatened.

Additionally follow up with a phone call to E~bay

If this does not resolve the issue

You can than peruse response through the government.

https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I did a quick google and those accounts prior to 2001 that did not make any changes after that, are apparently being left alone.

But my question is why tattle on this guy in the first place if he is not hurting anyone.

Scammers yes.  But this?

Childish retaliation for the nasty grams

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@bonecollector.crazytrain

eBay does NOT have email support in the US. It's phone or through the web form reports only.

And eBay will tell the OP that any "threats"  are a law enforcement matter. They will not get involved. They only get involved when there is a violation of their own rules and policies (and sometimes not even then, if the ID is a buyer only)

Off topic ... I find your posting indents strange. 

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Hi there, im sorry to hear about your issue and if i were you I would call the ebay support to do this just search ebay support number on google and call them and tell them about the issue and they will most likely ban the persson that sent you the images, I hope this helps have a good day 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Scammers yes.  But this?

Well we haven't seen the emails. 

If someone sent me a particularly graphic and vulgar email and I was having a bad enough day, I might "tattle" too.

While I typically leave the eBay policing to others- sometimes someone somewhere will aggravate me enough and I'll retaliate.

*shrug* don't rattle a bear's cage and all that

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 15 of 24
latest reply