cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I list this? "Used" or for" parts/not working"

I am selling a laptop. Everything works on it, but the battery is not recognized when the power cord is plugged in.(It shows an icon stating battery not recognized). As long as the unit is plugged in, it is fully functional and works, if it is unplugged, it won't work. Do I list it as used and mention in the listing what the defect is or do I list it as parts/not working and mention in the listing what the defect is?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: How do I list this? "Used" or for" parts/not working"

Parts/not working to be safe otherwise someone can take parts off of it and claim SNAD

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Working or not, ebay is not your best choice to sell a laptop...or iPhone. Both are scam bait.
Read these boards...
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I’d say for parts or not working. It doesn’t function as intended.

Used

An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

For parts or not working

An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@e-lek-tron-ics wrote:

I am selling a laptop. Everything works on it, but the battery is not recognized when the power cord is plugged in.(It shows an icon stating battery not recognized). As long as the unit is plugged in, it is fully functional and works, if it is unplugged, it won't work. Do I list it as used and mention in the listing what the defect is or do I list it as parts/not working and mention in the listing what the defect is?

Your best bet, as wiser folks have mentioned, is "not working/for parts only".  Used - on ebay -  means it works fine - in all respects, though it may have had a rough life.  Anything else, you leave yourself open to a SNAD or worse.  You can still ask the price you want and folks can buy it or not, or make an offer.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

List it using eBay's Parts/Not Working classification.

However, to accurately represent it to potential buyers, take advantage of all 12 free pix that eBay gives you, and make sure that several if not most pix show the laptop up and running.  Also in your description, make sure you fully describe the battery situation.

The battery-not-recognized issue is not unheard of, but for someone who will be using the laptop as a "desktop replacement" and hardly ever move it or use it outside the home, it could still be a very serviceable device.

Have you researched prices for your laptop, specifically the price difference between what this would generally sell for if it were totally working including the ability to run on battery and charge a battery, vs what it might sell for now?  If the difference is a lot, you might want to take a flyer and get a cheap battery for it here on eBay, to see if the fault is in the current battery or if the fault is in the laptop's circuitry.  For example, if fully function you could get $150 for it, but as-is you can only get $50 for it, maybe it's worth a shot to spend $15 on a cheap battery to see if that takes care of the problem.  Only one way to find out....:-)

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@dabunk2000 wrote:

Parts/not working to be safe otherwise someone can take parts off of it and claim SNAD

They can still do that anyway.

How do I list this?

Someplace else for cash on pick up from someone who can see . feel, touch, and experience the functionality.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

They have been here since 2005 and 7k fb as a seller. I would hope they know what they are doing.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
They have been here since 2005 and 7k fb as a seller. I would hope they know what they are doing.

ummm, but since the 7k fb seller is asking for help, perhaps they aren't aware of all of the in's and out's of eBay's policies...don'tchathink?

As stated above, a "used" listing widget must be fully functional and when using "for parts/not working" remember to never state what "is" working as that will cause the unscrupulous buyer to file a SNAD claim rather it is truthful or not.

I agree with itty...selling this here can be problematic ~ perhaps a local pickup only listing would work so the potential buyer can assess the problems in person.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:

Despite the OP not being a noob, I am still going to say, "Witnessed!"  😄

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 11 of 11
latest reply