cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find the clipboard?

I thought I'd try to add a buyer's address to the clipboard which I did.  But, now how do I find the clipboard?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The clipboard is temporary space and is not a physical thing you can access. When you save something to the invisible clipboard, it is held until you save something else that overwrites the clipboard with something new. To get something out of your invisible clipboard, you must simply paste it somewhere.

So, if you are saving an address to a clipboard, you must paste it into a text editor or into an editing box on some application where you want it to display or be saved.

Various applications on your computer all share the same invisible clipboard. That is how you can copy from one place and paste into another.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

The clipboard is temporary space and is not a physical thing you can access. When you save something to the invisible clipboard, it is held until you save something else that overwrites the clipboard with something new. To get something out of your invisible clipboard, you must simply paste it somewhere.

So, if you are saving an address to a clipboard, you must paste it into a text editor or into an editing box on some application where you want it to display or be saved.

Various applications on your computer all share the same invisible clipboard. That is how you can copy from one place and paste into another.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for such a detailed response. While this is probably common knowledge to a lot of people, it was informative to me.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

And if you ever need to you can us the keyboard 

Windows: Ctrl + C to copy and Ctrl + V to Paste 

macOS: Command + C to copy and Command + V to Paste

Just in case you ever need those  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@flp 

You are most welcome, and you are not alone. This same question was asked just last week.

I think it may be related to the "clipboard" option that is appearing in the label flow, which caught my interest last month because "programmed" clipboarding does not always work. So I tested it, and it worked for me.

Normally, when you want to copy and paste, you simply use "copy" and then paste it somewhere.  When the program does the copying for you, it doesn't always work because there are sometimes security settings or browser differences that do not allow a program to put something in your clipboard since you don't really know if that program is copying what you saw on the screen or something else you did not see. However, on eBay, it should be safe.  😉

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@coastaltechsolution 

And I am so old school, I still use the right-handed commands that migrated from DOS programs, which work in most cases:

Ctrl+insert   to copy

Shift+insert  to paste

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Keep it old school 😁

I just finished working on a classic ASP business website that was last updated in 1998 🤣

That took me back and was actually fun to work on  

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I saw an eBay message and clicked on a discount code offer, but when I tried again to access the code for a purchase it gives me a message transferred to my clipboard (or similar). How to I access the clipboard, or the code again 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@gonzodeaddog 

Could it have been a downloaded file?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

A clipboard code would remain in the system clipboard until you overwrite the clipboard by copying something else, or shut down. If the code was in your eBay messages, or an eBay email, return to the message and copy it again. 

As an aside, I would be wary of anything that appears on an eBay page because paid advertising can make offers on eBay pages. A clickable link could have triggered a popup window that your browser blocked. A virus link (never found on eBay) could download something to your computer.

In your case, when you see the message "copied to clipboard", it does not always mean it was successfully copied. If it had been copied, you would be able to paste it somewhere. If you can see the code, then simply write it down and manually enter the code into eBay's checkout screen.

I see that you are in Australia, so you will want to be sure you are using the correct checkout screen and that the discount code was valid for the site you are using.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To view everything in your Clipboard: windows key + V

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@flp 

Pursuant to the reply from @shipscript  and the clipboard access by @Anonymous  (Windows key + V) the clipboard access will appear on your screen per the pic below.  I use Windows 11 so this is how it appears on my system.  Yours may be different.

In basic terms when you Copy one thing and then use the Paste function it pastes that one thing and that one thing was actually placed on the clip board in the background or "invisible" as Ship described.  If you copy more than one thing before any pasting those items are placed on the clipboard ... when you paste the last thing you copied will be pasted.  If you want a different item pasted that you copied that is where the clipboard comes in handy ... each application like Word, Excel, etc will have access to the Clipboard, some you have to search for but the link is there and sometimes it will simply start to show the clipboard as you work and you can paste directly from it.   On my system the clip board list gets displayed on the left side of the program I am working in (Word, Excel, etc).

Screenshot (593).png

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 12 of 12
latest reply