cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I decline a return request?

Hi,

An eBay buyer bought amazing arms from me. The size of all of them is small, which it said that in the listing. They now want a return with the reason "item wrong size". I asked them what size they were. She told me that they were small but she needs large. There is no option to decline the return request. Does anyone know how?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Solved even further! eBay closed the return request! I guess this is good news.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 53 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Since your listing is no returns, and you don't have an option to DECLINE return, it sounds as if the buyer has opened an Item not AS DESCRIBED type of case which is not possible to decline.

Since your buyer has told you in messages that she chose the wrong size, you MIGHT be able to get the return manually closed by calling eBay.

But it's not likely  - if not, you're going to have to either accept the return, refund without return, or offer a partial refund (which the buyer can decline) and eBay won't back you up if you select ASK EBAY TO STEP IN.

Phoning customer service is your only (faint) hope.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 2 of 64
latest reply

How to decline a return
  1. Go to your Returns dashboard - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Select View return details beside the item.
  3. Select Decline the return and then Continue.
  4. You have the option of entering your reason for declining the request, but it will not be visible to the buyer.
  5. Select Decline return.
Message 3 of 64
latest reply

Declining a return request puts you at risk of losing both your money and the items.  

Your best option is to have the buyer 'return for refund.'

You can decline a return but E-bay will force a refund. Then you will be out, as I stated earlier, both your money and your items.

Just tell them to return and you will refund them when the items are returned.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 4 of 64
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

Since your listing is no returns, and you don't have an option to DECLINE return, it sounds as if the buyer has opened an Item not AS DESCRIBED type of case which is not possible to decline.

Since your buyer has told you in messages that she chose the wrong size, you MIGHT be able to get the return manually closed by calling eBay.

But it's not likely  - if not, you're going to have to either accept the return, refund without return, or offer a partial refund (which the buyer can decline) and eBay won't back you up if you select ASK EBAY TO STEP IN.

@city*satins  Just came back to say that, thank you!  If the option isn't there, the instructions I posted won't work and it does sound like they opened a not as described case since there is no option to decline.  

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

@stuff_from_dylan wrote:

Hi,

An eBay buyer bought amazing arms from me. The size of all of them is small, which it said that in the listing. They now want a return with the reason "item wrong size". I asked them what size they were. She told me that they were small but she needs large. There is no option to decline the return request. Does anyone know how?

Thanks.

If this return is an Item Not As Described case, declining isn’t an option. Is it a case or just a simple return request? 

Message 6 of 64
latest reply

You can only decline a buyer's remorse return request. (and then when the listing doesn't offer returns, which in this case, the OP's listing doesn't)

Buyer's are catching on to this and increasingly selecting NOT AS DESCRIBED  for size and color complaints, which can't be declined by the seller as they're SNAD types and non declinable.

eBay won't force a return on the first kind, but will on the second.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 7 of 64
latest reply

@stuff_from_dylan wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

I agree with other posters here. It sounds like your buyer requested a return for "item not described".  Did they just add a comment in the return that said the "item wrong size"? Details matter on how to proceed.

If it`s a "not as described" request as we suspect, your best bet is to accept the return and file an appeal later using your buyers statements of "wrong size" to win your appeal and get your shipping fees back because "wrong size" is actually a buyers remorse return in ebays eyes.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 8 of 64
latest reply

@creekcoyote wrote:

Declining a return request puts you at risk of losing both your money and the items.  

Your best option is to have the buyer 'return for refund.'

You can decline a return but E-bay will force a refund. Then you will be out, as I stated earlier, both your money and your items.

Just tell them to return and you will refund them when the items are returned.

Not with a properly filed Buyer's remorse return request with a seller that offers No Returns.

All sellers are responsible for having a return policy that meets or exceeds the Money Back Guarantee.  One of the only reasons a seller with a no return policy can refuse to accept a return OR refund is for a Buyer's remorse return request.

To my knowledge, sellecting the reason Item is the wrong size is a BR reason.  But the OP should check that to be sure.  If it is a properly filed BR return request the OP should be able to decline it.

Not that this is the best option.  There is a lot that can go wrong with declining the return request.  Like negative feedback.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 64
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@city*satins wrote:

@city*satins  Just came back to say that, thank you!  If the option isn't there, the instructions I posted won't work and it does sound like they opened a not as described case since there is no option to decline.  

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

I have to be honest , Ebay sucks if your a seller ,What ever happened to caviuot-em-tor ? buyers just buy and return like its walmart ,So Stupid my li bro just got burned again on the ebay return policy as a seller ,the are no repercussions for the buyer , since they started the no question asked return policy, horrible idea since most products on ebay are used ,so i might buy something on ebay ,no more selling .Seems ebay only wants big clearing houses to sell here ,im not blind or dumb so put a stop to the buyers no question asked policy asap !!!

Message 11 of 64
latest reply

The reason says "Wrong item sent"

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

@stuff_from_dylan wrote:

The reason says "Wrong item sent"

OK. Because your buyer chose that reason for a return ebay is only going to give you 2 choices....A) Provide a return shipping label to your buyer. (you can buy one from ebay and your account will be charged or provide your own) B) refund the buyer in full and let them keep the item.

If you ignore it...ebay will automatically refund your buyer and let them keep your item too and give you an unresolved case defect. (The defect damages your account standing)

You said you had an ebay message where the buyer states they orderd the incorrect size right? If not you probably have no grounds for appeal.

What I would do is accept the return and provide your buyer a return label within the time frame they have alloted you. Wait for your buyer to return the item and when it gets back to you....return to this forum in this thread and someone will advise you to appeal to get your return shipping back.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 13 of 64
latest reply

I wasn't going to say anything but since it reappeared in big letters (and has now disappeared), it's:

caveat emptor

Signed,

Took A Lot Of Latin In The Old Days

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 14 of 64
latest reply

If you are going to sell clothing with fuzzy pictures, no measurements and almost no data, then you need to accept returns.  Or take the bad feedback from unhappy buyers.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 15 of 64
latest reply