cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did seller get feedback removed?

So this question is to understand how a seller got feedback removed when I made a purchase as a buyer, since I'm not aware of what "method" they used to justify getting the feedback removed.

A seller offered a given fabric per foot, in various colors with returns accepted. I ordered one color and found out that their poorly lighted (on a dim table with no quality lighting) and differently white balanced listing images did not properly reflect the item's color. Various pictures of the same item in the listing didn't even look the same color. And I use a professionaly color calibrated graphic monitor (for photography) so the problem wasn't on my end.

Granted, I understand this can happen so I contacted the seller asking if a small sample could be received of 2 or 3 colors to avoid having to order the whole quantity I needed of each color. If they sent the samples, I'd simply keep the item I couldn't make use of, and buy the one I need in the quantity I needed. They never responded. I wrote again. They didn't respond.

So I ordered a second color. It was also substantially different. I ordered the third color and that one turned out good for my use. Since I was being ignored, I opened a legitimate return request for the colors I wasn't able to use. I opened it as "Not needed" even though a "Not as described" case would have been accepted (in Ebay's eyes) because I know it sucks to received them. The shipping fees were also inflated on this item, so I know I was sacrificing getting them refunded by being polite to the seller, despite having an arguable case.

And then the seller immediately contacted me. I asked them why they were writing now, and not to my previous messages, and they openly admitted they were ignoring them. I told them it was fine and perfectly reasonable to not send samples, but just let the buyer know, don't ignore them as that is horrible customer attention. That bothered me, and when I let them know they told me it wasn't their responsibility to post better pictures, it was mine to better investigate the  product codes on the internet (for a generic product in which codes mean little). That bothered me even more.

So I left one negative feedback stating it was for openly admitting to ignoring my messages, one neutral feedback stating that better listing images should be used, and one positive feedback just to balance out a bit since the third order went okay. I just checked and the Negative and Neutral feedbacks were removed, despite being legitimate, for different causes and different orders. What arguments could the seller use to justify that and report them? Just to know if as a seller I can apply them too if it ever happens to me.

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

"since I'm not aware of what "method" they used to justify getting the feedback removed."

They called and asked. And if they didn't get what they wanted on the first call, they called back a second, third, fourth or maybe fifth time until they did get what they wanted. It's what sellers here recommend other sellers do to manipulate FB.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 26 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Was the case closed in the seller's favor? Did you mention opening a case in your feedback?

@gsf_tech

Message 2 of 93
latest reply

On the surface, one might be for the mention of a "message".  

Dig deeper, and you'll quickly realize just something easily manipulated by a simple phone call, and ebay.

Message 3 of 93
latest reply

I opened a normal return request since I didn't feel like abusing the return policy open a Not as described case for an "innacurate color". Ebay would have certainly granted such a case, but as a small seller myself I felt sympathy. It seems like that sympathy didn't pay off. Now it bothers me to pay return shipping, lose initial inflated shipping, and on top of that for the seller to report my justified feedback.

In other words the item was returned and the normal refund was issued (not including initial shipping) and I voluntarily covered the return shipping myself (before the seller started proving to be a bit of an idiot.

Message 4 of 93
latest reply

What did you mean by "the mention of a message"? I didn't really get what you were hinting at, or what policy would cover that.

About the dig deeper, if you're just suggesting that there isn't a legitimate method and that the seller just contacted Ebay stating his version of the truth, that would be good to know. If your hinting something else than I didn't really get what you meant.

Message 5 of 93
latest reply

If you left a negative for ignoring messages, was it on the item/transaction that you actually sent messages?  That negative would qualify for removal on that basis alone.

If you constantly bought items from a seller who, by your own admission, has poor lighting and bad communication skills, an argument could be made that you were doing it maliciously.  That's not allowed.

Message 6 of 93
latest reply

ebay apparently doesn't like certain keywords in a comment, as a guess.

As to no "legitimate method", that's exactly what I'm implying.  Seller contacted ebay csr, fed them their story, wouldn't take no for an answer, then poof.  Gone.

Happens.

Message 7 of 93
latest reply

If I understand you correctly, you asked the seller to send you a variety of samples, at their expense, for you to compare before you would place an order.  They ignored your request so you placed orders until you found one that suited your purpose. Then you want to return what you deemed not needed.  Then you leave bad feedback.  Talk about entitled.

Frankly, I would have blocked you upon receiving your first request for samples.  Unless the listing offered free samples, you were wanting something that was not being offered.

Thank you for posting.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 93
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you asked the seller to send you a variety of samples, at their expense, for you to compare before you would place an order.  They ignored your request so you placed orders until you found one that suited your purpose. Then you want to return what you deemed not needed.  Then you leave bad feedback.  Talk about entitled.

Frankly, I would have blocked you upon receiving your first request for samples.  Unless the listing offered free samples, you were wanting something that was not being offered.

Thank you for posting.

Its a shame the seller in Germany who got negged by OP for not accepting paypal, didn't know to contact ebay & get it removed. Moot point though since that seller is not on ebay anymore.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 9 of 93
latest reply

We still don't know exactly what your feedback said.

Even not knowing that and seeing any "bad" words, it's all in how the seller poses the issue(s) to CS.  The seller can say sending samples or  responding to messages is not part of the transaction, for example.

It wouldn't be difficult for me to get that type of feedback removed (assumption based again on not knwoing "type" of feedback).   It's all about who answers the phone and how it's presented to that phone answerer.

I wouldn't have blocked you (maybe - haven't seen your messages) but I would politely reply that I had zillions of things to do and sending a sample(s) would be difficult.  A free sample(s)?  Who pays the postage?  If you, buyer, volunteers to pay then that could turn into a sticky widget because ebay has lately gone bonkers about messages and possible off-ebay transactions.

Which, come to think of it, could be another reason the seller didn't respond...who knows?  Variations are many around here.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 10 of 93
latest reply

@gsf_tech
@gsf_tech wrote:

So this question is to understand how a seller got feedback removed when I made a purchase as a buyer, since I'm not aware of what "method" they used to justify getting the feedback removed.

They called Customer Service.   They may have been able, I don't know, to make a case for unrealistic expectations, wanting samples, choosing to purchase to see what you think (things are not sold on approval, whether or not the seller accepts returns) and complaining about picture quality, which you saw before deciding to purchase, but choosing to purchase anyway.  This transaction seems to be problematic from the very first and continued that way.  Just some thoughts.

A seller offered a given fabric per foot, in various colors with returns accepted. I ordered one color and found out that their poorly lighted (on a dim table with no quality lighting) and differently white balanced listing images did not properly reflect the item's color. Various pictures of the same item in the listing didn't even look the same color. And I use a professionaly color calibrated graphic monitor (for photography) so the problem wasn't on my end.

Not sure why you went ahead and purchased when you noticed the color discrepancies beforehand?

Granted, I understand this can happen so I contacted the seller asking if a small sample could be received of 2 or 3 colors to avoid having to order the whole quantity I needed of each color. If they sent the samples, I'd simply keep the item I couldn't make use of, and buy the one I need in the quantity I needed. They never responded. I wrote again. They didn't respond.

No offense to you, but if sending samples isn't in the listing, I doubt they would send them.

In fact, I doubt any sellers would send you samples like this.  Sometimes no response is a no.

So I ordered a second color. It was also substantially different. I ordered the third color and that one turned out good for my use. Since I was being ignored, I opened a legitimate return request for the colors I wasn't able to use. I opened it as "Not needed" even though a "Not as described" case would have been accepted (in Ebay's eyes) because I know it sucks to received them. The shipping fees were also inflated on this item, so I know I was sacrificing getting them refunded by being polite to the seller, despite having an arguable case.

Items are not sold on approval, even if the seller offers returns.

And then the seller immediately contacted me.

I imagine they were upset about the case for return.

I asked them why they were writing now, and not to my previous messages, and they openly admitted they were ignoring them. I told them it was fine and perfectly reasonable to not send samples, but just let the buyer know, don't ignore them as that is horrible customer attention. That bothered me, and when I let them know they told me it wasn't their responsibility to post better pictures, it was mine to better investigate the  product codes on the internet (for a generic product in which codes mean little). That bothered me even more.

I understand why you were not happy with this answer.

So I left one negative feedback stating it was for openly admitting to ignoring my messages, one neutral feedback stating that better listing images should be used, and one positive feedback just to balance out a bit since the third order went okay. I just checked and the Negative and Neutral feedbacks were removed, despite being legitimate, for different causes and different orders. What arguments could the seller use to justify that and report them? Just to know if as a seller I can apply them too if it ever happens to me.

I believe the ignoring the messages could have been removed because a case could be made that the listing was correct due to the request as asking for samples is not usual, and could be seen as asking for something that was not in the listing.  Many sellers are small sellers and they don't pay for or have, or can afford, to send free samples.  No answer may be interpreted as an answer of no.

Better listing pictures being removed could be because you could have made the decision to not buy.  It was your choice to go ahead and buy so the pictures must have been acceptable to you, but you had actually decided to take a chance.  

Returns, as you know , can hurt a seller.  I know you opened up a no longer need so you paid for the shipping, but as a seller, you know the seller has the item and money tied up at the moment of purchase.

Message 11 of 93
latest reply

Oh boy - OP has a high ratio of negatives when it comes to leaving feedback for his sellers.  Many of the positives even indicate there was a problem.

33 FB left for sellers in the past year

9 negs

2 neutrals

8 soft positives (understanding, makes it right, etc)

14 real positives

That's 19 problematic purchases vs.  14 non-problematic?   57%

Either you have unrealistic expectations, are caustic in your approach and/or you aren't vetting your sellers well. 

Message 12 of 93
latest reply

@gsf_tech wrote:

I opened a normal return request since I didn't feel like abusing the return policy open a Not as described case for an "innacurate color". Ebay would have certainly granted such a case, but as a small seller myself I felt sympathy. It seems like that sympathy didn't pay off. Now it bothers me to pay return shipping, lose initial inflated shipping, and on top of that for the seller to report my justified feedback.

In other words the item was returned and the normal refund was issued (not including initial shipping) and I voluntarily covered the return shipping myself (before the seller started proving to be a bit of an idiot.

For future reference, "inaccurate color" is not a legitimate condition for not as described. You would have lost that case.

Message 13 of 93
latest reply

": How did seller get feedback removed?"

By calling ebay, stating actual facts and having the CSR read all the messages between you and the seller.

Probably had some policy in hand as well.

Good grief:(:(:(

Message 14 of 93
latest reply

@gsf_tech

Sorry ran out of edit time.  Have edited this to show responses more clearly.

gsf_tech wrote:

They called Customer Service.   They may have been able, I don't know, to make a case for unrealistic expectations, wanting samples, choosing to purchase to see what you think (things are not sold on approval, whether or not the seller accepts returns) and complaining about picture quality, which you saw before deciding to purchase, but choosing to purchase anyway.  This transaction seems to be problematic from the very first and continued that way.  Just some thoughts.

Not sure why you went ahead and purchased when you noticed the color discrepancies beforehand?

No offense to you, but if sending samples isn't in the listing, I doubt they would send them.

In fact, I doubt any sellers would send you samples like this.  Sometimes no response is a no.

Items are not sold on approval, even if the seller offers returns.

And then the seller immediately contacted me.

I imagine they were upset about the case for return.

I asked them why they were writing now, and not to my previous messages, and they openly admitted they were ignoring them. I told them it was fine and perfectly reasonable to not send samples, but just let the buyer know, don't ignore them as that is horrible customer attention. That bothered me, and when I let them know they told me it wasn't their responsibility to post better pictures, it was mine to better investigate the  product codes on the internet (for a generic product in which codes mean little). That bothered me even more.

I understand why you were not happy with this answer.

I believe the ignoring the messages could have been removed because a case could be made that the listing was correct due to the request as asking for samples is not usual, and could be seen as asking for something that was not in the listing.  Many sellers are small sellers and they don't pay for or have, or can afford, to send free samples.  No answer may be interpreted as an answer of no.

Better listing pictures being removed could be because you could have made the decision to not buy.  It was your choice to go ahead and buy so the pictures must have been acceptable to you, but you had actually decided to take a chance.  

Returns, as you know , can hurt a seller.  I know you opened up a no longer need so you paid for the shipping, but as a seller, you know the seller has the item and money tied up at the moment of purchase.

Negative and neutral feedback are saved by most buyers for truly egregious behavior.

Excessive negative and neutral feedback may be considered a policy violation and reported with consequences.

Hope this helps!

Message 15 of 93
latest reply