cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can eBay regain seller confidence?

With the recent change in eBay leadership, nervous sellers off loading product to other sites and buyer disinterest, it is paramount that eBay deliver an outstanding 4th quarter sales improvement.

What will it take to generate buyer excitement and bring them back to the site?

Forget seller issues like MP, GTC, etc for this thread please.

I'd like to hear thoughts on buyer enticements, loyalty programs, advertising and marketplace presentation.   

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

First thing they can do is roll back any tech updates that have restricted our sales activity since Spring of 2018.

Am I the only one that hasn't had ANY action all day today??

I've spent ALL DAY listing new items and updating old ones. NOTHING. No action at all. It's not right.

Whatever they are doing to govern our sales numbers MUST STOP!!
Message 2 of 80
latest reply

since sales are so infrequent it would be really nice if you could offer more free insertion fees.  I had multiple 10,000 appear a few nights ago and then of course the next day they were gone. My thing on that is if I can sell it I can give you a piece of it but if I have to pay to only have one person look at it that just makes me upset.  It's not like you can make a fortune on ebay.  We are giving this stuff away.  I know you'd like it to all come out of the sellers but you can only get so much from people before it's not worth it to them anymore.  

You have a good place ebay don't throw it away.  We are your bread and butter.

Message 3 of 80
latest reply

I think all of the IT  glitches have eroded seller confidence. Frustrations with topics you do not want in this thread. search not working. having to pay more fees for exposure, now strong arming me into 1 day handling, to get exposure.  I can find my items on google faster than I can locate them with eBay search.  As a seller I am fed up. 

Fall is usually my biggest sales. I teach and usually have all of inventory photographed before school starts and then list a few items each morning. It used to be my coffee and zen way to start my day. Ebay has stolen of the joy. did I say ... As a seller since 2003 I am fed up. 

Message 4 of 80
latest reply

I would like to see increased advertising in all media outlets.  Ever see an eBay electronic billboard?  You know, those billboards that change advertisers while you watch at a traffic light?  It would be neat if eBay could spend a few dollars on this form of advertising.  The billboard could rotate between showing vintage, collectibles, clothing, sports, toys, jewelry, commodities, etc.  People tune out tv advertising as background noise.  A fancy schmancy electronic billboard would generate some conversation.

Message 5 of 80
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

I'd like to hear thoughts on buyer enticements, loyalty programs, advertising and marketplace presentation.   

×××××××××××××××××××××

Simplify , ebay has too many technicalities present in their MBG, it's confusing to more than a few buyers.

Message 6 of 80
latest reply

Most advertising is geared to the 20 to 35 year old demographic.  Some have spendable income, some rack up credit card debt chasing the latest must have possession.

What about the Boomer generation?  They control a vast amount of wealth in this country.  Gearing ads that appeal to their younger days might be missing the mark.  How about a twenty something scouring the internet looking for the perfect gift for a beloved grandparent.  Gift gets opened, grandkid beams "I found it on eBay just for you".

Message 7 of 80
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

Speaking strictly for myself, the addition of sales tax and the increase in postal rates (neither of which are eBay's doing) have come pretty close to pricing me out of the eBay market.

On top of that, some of the items I look for are offered at laughable prices: certain discontinued items listed at $50--used--that I can get on Amazon for under $20 brand new, for example. Lately, I've checked for specific books, DVDs, jigsaw puzzles, and a small kitchen appliance at least, and all were priced way above Amazon. That's not encouraging for a buyer.

As a final straw, probably eight of my last ten transactions have been disappointing in one aspect or another--with the seller misrepresenting an item or packaging it poorly or whatever. Problems with my last two sellers pretty turned me off eBay. I know eBay is made up of good sellers, too, but I've had a pretty bad run of luck lately, even after doing all the appropriate "due diligence." A buyer can only give eBay sellers so many chances before deciding to go elsewhere.

So, as a buyer, I'm not sure what would rekindle my interest in eBay. An 80% "disappointment" rate is just too high for me to continue to buy here consistently. I might check it now and then for some obscure item, but I won't be checking it routinely anymore. The %-off discount offers used to spark my interest, but they've stopped doing those. The other ideas you mentioned are great, but, for me, they're not enough to put up with mediocre purchases or transactions.

Message 8 of 80
latest reply

Is eBay a family site?  Why not impress that attraction to the public?  eBay can be a warm and fuzzy marketplace for all members of the family if presented as such.

Why not more family oriented advertising?   

Message 9 of 80
latest reply

A few

@b86fiero wrote:

A few EBay promotions 10% off anything & everthing

Message 10 of 80
latest reply

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I think it is too late for eBay to regain seller confidence.  I have no confidence that they have competent IT personnel that can fix all the glitches or management motivation to do so.  If the latest eBay TV ad is anything to go by - they'll be wasting money on advertising.    They'd be better off doubling the $5 off buyer coupons than wasting the money on TV ads.  

The only thing that makes sense (and cents) to me is to merge Etsy and the eBay marketplace and let the Etsy management run it.  Unfortunately, with Etsy's current fascination with free shipping and the listing fees, I don't think most sellers would be any better off.  

Message 11 of 80
latest reply

pburn,

You have some very good points.  I too have had a few purchase disappointments over the years.  

Pricing is of utmost concern for most buyers.  The cost of shipping is often shocking and might be leading some buyers back to brick and mortar stores.  The almost instant delivery now offered by stores such as Walmart, Lowe's, Kroger and other grocery stores is cutting into online sales.

Could eBay establish an educational boot camp of sorts for sellers who fail to deliver an appropriate buying experience?  Maybe an online course with actual participation required?  eBay has always been touted as "it's easy, just sign up and list your item" so I'm sure some sellers jump in without understanding what it is they jumped into.

Message 12 of 80
latest reply

This is coming from a very frequent Buyer from 2010 until 2019 (when eBay imploded).

Although there were some issues over the years, it wasn't until 2019 when I chose to stop buying here. 

The reasons were:

• A very bad buying experience that wasn't handled properly.
  • eBay allowing bad high volume sellers to remain on the site.
  • Improper Feedback Removal, and eBay not following their own policies.
  • Unacceptable and Frequent Technical Issues and Glitches.
  • Poor Customer Service to address my concerns (and I'm a Concierge Member).

And, as a Buyer who also wanted to start selling, when I saw what eBay was doing to Sellers ... Who Would Want to Sell Here?

The things you listed (buyer enticements, loyalty programs, advertising and marketplace presentation) are not the things that eBay needs to focus on first (and shouldn't).  eBay needs to fix the site first and make sure that Sellers are seen as Business Partners.  The first thing to do is revert eBay back to a time in 2018, eliminate the GTC Mandate, and stop the path towards Managed Payments (by keeping PayPal as their payment processing company).

So to eBay I say:

Please Fix The Issues And Make This A Fun Place To Shop Again.

And ... Please Listen To Your Customers!

Message 13 of 80
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@b86fiero wrote:

Speaking strictly for myself, the addition of sales tax and the increase in postal rates (neither of which are eBay's doing) have come pretty close to pricing me out of the eBay market.

On top of that, some of the items I look for are offered at laughable prices: certain discontinued items listed at $50--used--that I can get on Amazon for under $20 brand new, for example. Lately, I've checked for specific books, DVDs, jigsaw puzzles, and a small kitchen appliance at least, and all were priced way above Amazon. That's not encouraging for a buyer.

As a final straw, probably eight of my last ten transactions have been disappointing in one aspect or another--with the seller misrepresenting an item or packaging it poorly or whatever. Problems with my last two sellers pretty turned me off eBay. I know eBay is made up of good sellers, too, but I've had a pretty bad run of luck lately, even after doing all the appropriate "due diligence." A buyer can only give eBay sellers so many chances before deciding to go elsewhere.

So, as a buyer, I'm not sure what would rekindle my interest in eBay. An 80% "disappointment" rate is just too high for me to continue to buy here consistently. I might check it now and then for some obscure item, but I won't be checking it routinely anymore. The %-off discount offers used to spark my interest, but they've stopped doing those. The other ideas you mentioned are great, but, for me, they're not enough to put up with mediocre purchases or transactions.

You are really on target

Message 14 of 80
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

A few

@b86fiero wrote:

A few EBay promotions 10% off anything & everthing

I haven't seen any of those for quite awhile. It would help.

Message 15 of 80
latest reply