cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a bidder bid the same amount as the high bidder and then become the high bidder?!

I just had a bidder with 0 feedback bid on a item and is now the high bidder on a auction that will close soon. The problem is the bidder who just signed up - bid the exact same amount as the established high bidder and now the 0 feedback bidder is positioned to win the auction. Is that even fair? As a buyer myself I have always had to place a bid for at least 50cents over the high bid before being given the option to bid on the item so, how does someone get to place a bid that is the exact same amount as the high bidder??? I have had this happen before and what will wind up happening it that the zero feedback bidder will win the action and not pay for it and then the established bidder is gone. Poof!! So it winds up being a unpaid item and a strike on the zero feeback bidder that doesn't care anyway and the sale is lost. As a seller you work hard to secure a sale - taking pictures, writing a good description, offering competitive pricing then just to have some new sign up zero feedback bidder just bid to block the current bidder. But how can it be done without a single penny to increase the current bid. Argh.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

How can a bidder bid the same amount as the high bidder and then become the high bidder?!

@apricethatsells wrote:

Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed on this one. I don't think they allow you to block zero bidders anymore. I will check again.

As others have stated, you can't block zero feedback bidders/buyers, but you can restrict the number of listings they can bid on or buy in a certain time frame.  You will find this in your Site Preferences in your My eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Ok, so one bidder bid first but just curious how they both were allowed the same bid.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Each new bid must be at least one full bid increment above the current high bid showing. Not above the high bidder's hidden proxy bid.

When the 17-feedback bidder placed his  bid for $33, the high bid showing was $32.00.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

The FIRST bid is higher than the second bidder's bid that's why they are first bidder is winning -- they did NOT bid the same: the first bidder's max bid is higher than the second bidder's max bid. The second bidders max rose the first bidder's current bid. Look at the bidding history.  I don't find the concept of bidding works to be complicated Smiley Wink

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@klassic*kids wrote:

The FIRST bid is higher than the second bidder's bid that's why they are first bidder is winning -- they did NOT bid the same... 

They did bid the same: they both placed bids for $33.00. He'd be shown as the lead bidder even without those two later bids (which, yes, are higher than $33). Because his bid for $33.00 was placed first.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Oh, should have looked at the bidding history before I commented.  Just saw the same thing being explained over and over and over on this thread.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Thanks Klassics! It does look to me like the bids are the same amount. So, I know that it is possible for two bidders to have the same bid amount. Who knew.... and to think I thought bidding was just plain and simple. Scratching my head. 

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Sounds like both bidders are the he same person trying to get you to lower the price?
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

Please use settings to eliminate bidders with less than 3 -5 feedbacks
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 25 of 25
latest reply