cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Would You Read This Message From eBay?

I offer 30 day free returns.

I received this message from eBay on Dec 16th.

XXXX let us know that they want to return item Vector MaxRay Dexcowin Internal Replacement Battery 1 year Warranty for a refund.

See request details and be sure to reply to the buyer by Dec 21, 2022. Note that if you accept the return, you should provide a return shipping label. You can purchase a return shipping label on eBay or send your own label. Starting on that day, the buyer could ask us to step in and help by opening a case - this can affect your seller level.

I figured it was within the 30 days since it's not like the return requests I get that are past the 30 days.

I accepted the return and sent a return label. Yesterday (two weeks later), the buyer contacted me and ask if I could send another label as they could not find the first one.

I did a little more research on this order and found that their free 30 day returned ended a week before the return request.

I don't have a problem accepting the return, but I think the buyer should pay to return it.

It's past the 30 day return period and it's a doesn't fit return.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How Would You Read This Message From eBay?

Since you accepted the return, the buyer, if not already now pass the return label deadline, can reprint the label from the Return Request they made in the Resolution Center.  Otherwise, you can call and have ebay close the return, if the buyer didn't return by the ebay label use deadline to do so.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

They opened the return Dec 16th and eBay is giving the buyer until Jan 11th to return it.

My question is, does the return eBay sent me look like one that's telling you to send a return label?

They even state if the buyer asks eBay to step in, it could hurt your seller level.

Before, if it was past the 30 days, they said you could accept the return or decline it.

This one didn't do that. It's like one that's within the 30 days. That's the main reason I didn't catch it.

If this is their new message to sellers for a return past the 30 days, it's pretty sneaky to do it like this.

It's like they are trying to trick sellers into accepting a return and pay for the return after the 30 days has past.

Just MHO.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Have to check if ebay did extended holiday returns this year.

If this was not an Item Not as Described return you should have had a choice as to who pays for return shipping, unless you had free returns on your listing.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I have 30 days free returns. Reason for return was "doesn't fit"

The original shipment was delivered Nov 10th.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Well your free returns of course means you pay for the return shipping for any reason.  Still a question whether ebay extended the 30 days for the holidays.   Last year they did for some accounts as a test and forgot to tell the sellers, but not sure about this year.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

Well your free returns of course means you pay for the return shipping for any reason.  Still a question whether ebay extended the 30 days for the holidays.   Last year they did for some accounts as a test and forgot to tell the sellers, but not sure about this year.

There was controversy over that last year because CS told someone they were in an extended returns test, but when questioned Velvet from eBay said that wasn't the case and there was no extended returns test. It was oddly specific advice from CS about extended returns if there was no test. @valueaddedresource will remember that one, I'm sure.

Where did you learn about the extended returns test last year @rfmtm? I'm wondering if you have additional info other than what we discovered on that one discussion post. I don't know if I can still find the link to the discussion but Value might have it.

Edit: I found it. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Returns/Return-Request-From-Order-More-Than-30-Days-Old/m-p/32603092

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@wastingtime101  See this:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2022/1/1641744486.html

So do you know if ebay had any extended holidays times this year?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Ah, I forgot about that article. Check the post I linked above RFMTM where it gets even more fun. That post is from last year around the same time. The reps on this board said the info from CS on social about extended returns was mis-information. Hard to know what to believe in those situations.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@discountdentalwarehouse wrote:

I offer 30 day free returns.

I received this message from eBay on Dec 16th.

XXXX let us know that they want to return item Vector MaxRay Dexcowin Internal Replacement Battery 1 year Warranty for a refund.

See request details and be sure to reply to the buyer by Dec 21, 2022. Note that if you accept the return, you should provide a return shipping label. You can purchase a return shipping label on eBay or send your own label. Starting on that day, the buyer could ask us to step in and help by opening a case - this can affect your seller level.

I figured it was within the 30 days since it's not like the return requests I get that are past the 30 days.

I accepted the return and sent a return label. Yesterday (two weeks later), the buyer contacted me and ask if I could send another label as they could not find the first one.

I did a little more research on this order and found that their free 30 day returned ended a week before the return request.

I don't have a problem accepting the return, but I think the buyer should pay to return it.

It's past the 30 day return period and it's a doesn't fit return.

I'm confused. 

What message from eBay do you want us to interpret? 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@angelno9 wrote:

I'm confused. 

What message from eBay do you want us to interpret? 

The message from eBay in the OP says the buyer can escalate if the seller doesn't provide a prepaid shipping label by a certain date and the seller's performance can be affected.

But when the return is filed past the 30 day MBG window, which this was, then neither buyer nor seller can escalate and a seller's performance is not affected.

So the message posted leads the OP to believe this is filed within the 30 day MBG window when, in fact, it wasn't.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

The message in the box. I had no choice but to accept the return after the 30 day return window.

Does the message in the box give me a choice to decline the return?

I have until Dec 21st to issue the return label or "Starting on that day, the buyer could ask us to step in and help by opening a case - this can affect your seller level".

I've never gotten a return message like this after the 30 day period.

Therefore, I did accept the return and sent the buyer a return label on Dec 16th.

18 days later, buyer is asking me to send them another label cause they lost/can't find the first one.

I shouldn't have to be sending a return label at all. Buyer could return at their own expense.

I have no problem taking the item back if it's still new in packaging. This is a $520 order.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@discountdentalwarehouse wrote:

The message in the box. I had no choice but to accept the return after the 30 day return window.

Does the message in the box give me a choice to decline the return?

I've never had a return in 20 years so I have no idea - but doesn't the dispute give you the option to deny the return and take your chances by letting eBay step in? 

The message itself says "if you accept the return" not "you must accept the return". 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

You can't reissue the label since it was provided by ebay.  It is on the buyer to now send it back by the deadline or you can ask ebay to close the return in your favor.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply