cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High volume low value sales compared to Low volume high end sales, what is your preference?

High volume low value sales compared to Low volume high end sales, what is your preference.  I chose whichever brings in the most earnings.  What I find amazing is:  there are Sellers who are able to sell high end luxury items seemly effortlessly.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: High volume low value sales compared to Low volume high end sales, what is your preference?

Just keep listing it all adds up. I have a bunch of cheap items. I have expensive items. Sometimes I sell some of them! 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Re: High volume low value sales compared to Low volume high end sales, what is your preference?

I would like to sell more high end items. I have lots of designer costume jewelry. The problem is that I don't feel like getting scammed. There really is no protection for sellers and therefore I will keep my items in my collection. I pretty much set my selling item value limit at $150-$200.  

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I've been selling on eBay for 23 years.  Never sold more than 7-8 'high end items' & none of them went for 4 digits.  $900+ was the highest.  Found it impossible to even attract attention with valuable items.  I see listing go for $1,000s every day.  No matter what I had, no one would spend that kind of money with me.  I tried an $8,000 sailboat w/ motor & trailer - the bidding stopped under $1900.  The outboard motor was worth more than that!  Now it is far worse.  People want something for nothing + free shipping.  Best of luck with your decisions on what can make you see profits.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Really no right answer to that question.  
We would all prefer half the work and twice the pay.  But, we have all not chosen that path due to various reasons.
When it comes to small, less than 1 lb items?
  I will not intentionally list an item for less than $5.00 net gain (or, basically list it for less than $10).  IF I know that value in advance. Even if the item was given to me.
But, If I buy a box/lot of items that I don't know the prices of?  Many time's I'll just take pics of each and start listing.  Since I'm already "there", I might end up with several $8.00 items that will net me $3.00  (just ends up that way).   BUT, they better be easy, quick, simple to process/ship.
BIG STUFF?  I'll do my price research before I go through the trouble of starting listing and pics. 
That stuff better make enough to pay my time and hassle of packaging.  Also, the chance of return liability better be low enough that I think it's worth it to ship it.  

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

High volume of low cost collectibles.  I sell postal history and first day covers to stamp collectors.  One scan, one line listings. Flat paper items that slide into a regular business envelope. Done!  

The first day covers duplicate. I can have a quantity of 5-20 of same unit in a listing. And relisting the same items where I just do “Sell similar” from recently sold, leave same picture and description. Hit list!

I do average of 300-500 pieces a month. Hardly any acquisition cost, higher end dealers are happy to supply me. People buy multiple pieces, and where from 5-100 at a time. 

I have a system and I constantly benchmark looking for anywhere I can speed something up or cut a cost.

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Think I have had far more issues with troublesome buyers regarding inexpensive items .  Luxury end items tend to sell to more well heeled folks who dont have the time and inclination to wear down sellers.  They are busy creating wealth to pay for their expensive trinkets .  Its the person sitting around doing zippo that is going to email you ten times asking where their item is when they paid for it a day before.  That said I do both, the higher priced items dont sell as frequently and I havent built up enough inventory to overcome the lower frequency in sales 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply