cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi would like some advice on selling a collector car first time listing Do I Buy it now or auction??

First time listing a car and have no clue to go about it the best way with Auction, auction bid off, and or buy it now?  Thanks for your time and helpful advice! Oh i'm guessing local pick up or is there a better way for shipping out of state? Thanks!!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi would like some advice on selling a collector car first time listing Do I Buy it now or auction??

@olivia9467 wrote:

First time listing a car and have no clue to go about it the best way with Auction, auction bid off, and or buy it now?  Thanks for your time and helpful advice! Oh i'm guessing local pick up or is there a better way for shipping out of state? Thanks!!

Over the past few years I have bought 2 collector cars so I hope my experience can help you.

The first purchase attempt was an eBay auction. Although the bidding started at a low price the seller had a reserve. Despite bidding about 3 times as much as the highest bid I still couldn’t break the reserve. Frustrated I went somewhere else. The point being that if you are going to auction do not use a reserve. Set the opening bid to what would have been your reserve. The seller in question in my case lost the sale. Or do it as a BIN but expect that your are going to get offers below that price. BUT if the car is unusual enough (both of mine were) the buyer may be more intent on getting the car than dickering and running the risk of losing it (That was my case).

I did successfully, eventually, buy 2 by going to Hemmings. No dithering around. The BIN was clearly stated. In both cases arranging transportation was a breeze. There are trucking brokers who list what needs to go where and truckers with space on board regularly check in to these sites looking for product to move. You can either Google for one or just go to Hemmings and you will find ads there.

I am in Nevada. One came from Missouri and the other from Texas. A local pickup addresses the concern that you should not buy a classic without inspecting it first. But doing a local pickup will severely limit your prospective buyers. In my cases I would have passed. HOWEVER Hemmings also lists companies that will do a critical and unbiased inspection and report the car’s condition to the potential buyer which eliminates the need for a local pickup/inspection. So the distance was not a problem.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Have you considered listing it locally first? 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply