cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi so someone is asking for pictures of an item I have listed along with the serial number. Why woul

Why would they be asking for photos of the  serial number ? I genuinely don’t get it like what  purpose thThat that information with serve  . The request for photos of it  I understand because I don’t think I ever got around to updating the list with  actual images of the item, but  I don’t understand the serial number part.

could that be used maliciously ?? I’m usually privy to that kind of thing but I’m unable to imagine any way  that that information could be used against me

The item in question is an oven,by jenn air

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Hi so someone is asking for pictures of an item I have listed along with the serial number. Why

If it were me, if the item in question was a oven, i'd give them what they want.

But that's just me.

You do what you're comfortable with.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: Hi so someone is asking for pictures of an item I have listed along with the serial number. Why

I am unsure of any way it could be used against you, but possibly it could be used to defraud the manufacturer?  With photos and SN they could prove they 'own' the item and... Well, I'm not sure what they could do then.  Qualify for a rebate?  Not sure.  Seems odd, though.

The only exception here might be for collectables.  Sometimes a serial number can be used to accurately date an item to a specific year or easily discern variants  This could be useful to a buyer as sometimes some versions are more valuable / rare than others.

Which also could be useful if certain batches of an item were, say, recalled.  If company X recalls all item Y starting with SN 123, then a buyer might know to avoid SN 123.

But this is pure brainstorming, someone else may have a better answer.   You could always simply ask them why they need the SN.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

APPLIANCE AGE LOOKUP

"Use the form below to find the age of your appliance....

How To Find The Age Of A JENNAIR Appliance

JENNAIR appliances were purchased by Whirlpool in 2006. Prior to that, they used their own internal serial number date code format.

To decode a JENNAIR appliance serial number from this time period, follow these steps:

Step 1: Locate the Serial Number

Look for the serial number on the product label, which is usually located on the back or bottom of the appliance.
The location of the serial number may vary depending on the type of appliance you are working with. Some common places to look for the serial number include:
  • On the back or side of a refrigerator
  • On the rim or base of a dishwasher
  • On the door jamb or control panel of a washing machine or dryer
  • On the control panel of an oven or range

Step 2: Decode the Serial Number

Identify the last two letters of the serial number. These letters indicate the manufacturing date code. The first letter represents the year, while the second letter represents the month. For example, "EJ" would represent May 1990.

Compare the alpha characters to the manufacturer's serial date code chart.

JENNAIR appliances manufacturer after the Whirlpool acquisition can be decoded using the following steps:

Step 1: Locate the Serial Number

Look for the serial number on the product label, which is usually located on the back or bottom of the appliance.
The location of the serial number may vary depending on the type of appliance you are working with. Some common places to look for the serial number include:
  • On the back or side of a refrigerator
  • On the rim or base of a dishwasher
  • On the door jamb or control panel of a washing machine or dryer
  • On the control panel of an oven or range

Step 2: Decode the Serial Number

JENNAIR serial numbers are either 9 or 10 digits. If 9 digits, the character in the 2nd position is the date code. If 10 digits, the 3rd character is the date code. Knowing the length of the serial number is crucial. For example, VE7123456 decodes to 1995 but adding one additional digit like VE71234568 would decode to 2017.

Once you have determined the length of the serial number and the appropriate date code, the two digits immediately following the date code represents the week of the year it was manufactured.

For HVAC, the first four characters should be numeric. The first two are the year, and the 2nd and 3rd the month of manufacture. For example 1108B30987 decodes to 2011."
KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@dismal_11 wrote:

Why would they be asking for photos of the  serial number ? I genuinely don’t get it like what  purpose [would] that information [...] serve

I hate to say this, but one purpose would be to determine whether it was stolen.

I would show the serial number in photos and list it in Item Specifics to discourage amateur scammers from buying yours and then returning a different unit. (It's not a foolproof strategy, but might at least discourage some.)

@dismal_11 wrote:

The request for photos of it  I understand because I don’t think I ever got around to updating the list with  actual images of the item, but  I don’t understand the serial number part.

could that be used maliciously ?? I’m usually privy to that kind of thing but I’m unable to imagine any way  that that information could be used against me

I don't think the serial number alone (with no other proof of purchase) could be used maliciously, but for that much money, you need to be posting all your own photos showing the actual example you are selling. Don't forget that you will also need to add Signature Confirmation when shipping as the sale price will be over $750 (though Local Pickup would be better to avoid the risk of a shipping damage claim, for which you would need to refund, either with or without paying more to have it shipped back).

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Makes me wonder if the buyer is asking a question simply to see if there's a human being on the other end?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

Makes me wonder if the buyer is asking a question simply to see if there's a human being on the other end?

True.

I've also know customer who will ask a question just to see how quickly they get a response.

They figure ... quick response = good customer service.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Buying and selling online can be sketchy now a days.

I would  not even list anything that had serial number just to be safe.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply