cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's a new twist on selling. Not sure what it is...

I haven't sold in years and am not anywhere close to being up to date.  A recent purchase has me curious about something.

Ordered two of same item from a seller, got the usual shipping notifications and tracking numbers (FedEx in this one)

The next day, a WalMart contract driver shows up with one  item from WalMart.   Thought this was odd being that my order is supposedly coming trhough FedEx.  Fed the confirmation number to FedEx confirmation- nothing there.  

Following day another WalMart delivery driver and the second item.   Weird.   The delivery tag on the WalMart item matched the confirmation number on the purchase page.    Just for fun, I checked the WalMarrt website - the item was $3 less there that I paid.  That's my fault, I only looked at Lowes and HD website before using ebay.  

So, what I see here is a Seller who marks up and lists WalMart items at a marked up price and abuses his WalMart Plus free delivery plan to gover the "Free Shipping".

I think it's kind of a genius way to work the system, but seems ethically wrong.  

Pay attention. China is going to win it all!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

It is wrong and not allowed.

You can report the seller for this.

Also as a buyer you can in the FB - state that the seller is "drop shipping" from Walmart.

Some buyers, myself included, order off eBay and other sites to not have Walmart or Amazon get the sale and deliver to us.

I would not be happy to buy here and get it from Walmart.

You can also file a return request - not as described, since there is nothing in the listing saying Walmart.

Then you could buy it from Walmart... cheaper

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

@speedwaydog 

I think it's kind of a genius way to work the system, but seems ethically wrong.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would do anything for a sale but I won't do that.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Figured it broke the rules here.

Can't imagine WalMart being happy over their couriers being used for other peoples gain.  

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@speedwaydog wrote:

Can't imagine WalMart being happy over their couriers being used for other peoples gain.  

Why not? WalMart made a sale and now they have a new customer that knows to check WalMart before buying on eBay.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Drop shipping like this has been happening for ages from both Walmart and Amazon (mainly Amazon)

However, I hate that Walmart does that TBH.

I have purchased a few items from Walmart, and had them delivered to my UPS PMB. I choose 'Shipping' not delivery, but Walmart keeps switching it to Delivery after purchase so it shows up in a grocery bag with no real tracking information or verification that it's for my box.

If I choose ship, use shipping. -.-

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Happens all of the time any more, but there are many sellers who value $$$ over their  personal ethics EVERY time.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

The drop-shippers are all over the web now.   I no longer use the convenience of ordering online unless it is something I can't buy at  the local brick and mortar stores.  It has really made me aware of the need to compare all sites for prices if ordering any type of supplies for my home or business.       My sister's teenage stepsons told her that they don't have to get a job because they can do drop shipping and make more money than working at flipping burgers.   Where did they get this idea?

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I've bough things on ebay and the item comes from amazon.

If it's the item i bought and was delivered in a timely manner,  why should I care?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

It is against ebay rules.......and sellers can get booted for it......

Ethically, I don't see anything wrong with the basic concept.    I can buy the same product from this store/that (brick and Mortar) store and the prices will vary...... People pay top dollar at "convenience stores", less at WM....

Problem comes in when sellers use the shipping programs at Amazon/WM.......but some internet sellers did the thing at WM long before WM had the shipping programs.....and in that case, it was simply a seller being smart enough to get the item visible enough to be bought.....and buyers not thinking to check WM prices as the OP says in the original message.  One may not like finding out it's cheaper at WM.......but certainly not unethical to sell it at a higher price. 

To me, it's up to Amazon/WM to police their own programs.......and it's up to a buyer to find the best price he can (if price is important to him)...........

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

As others stated drop shipper. You can probably go to the Wal-Mart and pickup the items up cheaper or get them off the Wal-Mart web site. Simply open a NAD return request for the items you received. The seller will either have to issue you a return label and refund you once they have the items back or they will have to refund you and allow you to keep the items. 

Some may question the use of NAD but this seller is violating eBay policy in their drop shipping methods. 

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Items came from the local WalMart in a bag, hand delivered - twice.   Not worth the trouble dealing with a $5 return.    

Commercial use of WalMart Plus violates their TOS (Line 1.6) as well.     

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Violation of WalMart Plus TOS is a start.  (Item 1.6)

It's evil genius level to do this and ethically wrong.   I feel conflicted. . .    😆

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Items came from the local WalMart in a bag, hand delivered - twice.   Not worth the trouble dealing with a $5 return. 

Commercial use of WalMart Plus violates their TOS (Line 1.6) as well.     

To me it's not so much the $ value but the principal of the thing. If you open a NAD return case I am pretty sure the item will go back to the seller not to Wal-Mart. This is generally what causes drop shippers to fail. They have to pay the return shipping, to their address I believe and they have to fully refund the customer. 

As long as they can run along smoothly they will continue to drop ship. 

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Absolutely cheaper at WalMart.    That's the evil genius part. 

Seller makes $5 (minus fees, say $4.50 or so?)  for a few clicks.   

Message 15 of 29
latest reply