cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help requested...need a mini tutorial for my first ever 'Request to Cancel Order'

It's now happened to me for the first time ever.   A very nice buyer purchased the wrong item for his wife this afternoon, and just sent me a polite message asking me to cancel his order.  Am I correct in thinking that he needs to file the request first?  Or do I initiate the cancellation order?  You'd think after all the time I spend on these Boards, I would remember all these details!  I would like to do it as quickly and easily as possible, and not incur any defects in the process.  Looking forward to any and all help you can provide.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Help requested...need a mini tutorial for my first ever 'Request to Cancel Order'

You can send the request to cancel the order, using the reason 'at buyers request' (this reason will NOT earn you a defect on your account).  If you have Sellers Hub, go into 'orders', then on the left of the sold listing will be a drop down menu with an arrow button, expand that, and right in there is 'cancel order'.  

The buyer does have to 'approve' the cancellation, but since he requested it there should be no problem/delay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You can send the request to cancel the order, using the reason 'at buyers request' (this reason will NOT earn you a defect on your account).  If you have Sellers Hub, go into 'orders', then on the left of the sold listing will be a drop down menu with an arrow button, expand that, and right in there is 'cancel order'.  

The buyer does have to 'approve' the cancellation, but since he requested it there should be no problem/delay.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@swenson8781 wrote:

@swenson8781

Thank you for the quick reply!  I do not have Sellers Hub, since I am only a 'smallish' seller.  So do I just go into the drop down menu that lists various actions, located beside the sold item section?  Should I also notify the Buyer that he needs to approve the cancellation?  He's really nice and feels so bad about the whole situation...is actually willing to purchase the item his wife wants if I can find the product in my inventory.  So not a total loss.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yes, look in the drop down menu next to the sale, if I recall correctly it might also be in the 'unpaid item area', or that's where it was in Selling Manager.  If you wish you can notify the buyer, and let him know that you will send the cancellation request and for him to watch for it, as he will need to approve it.  Otherwise, the system will send him notification automatically too.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hi, here is the link to ebay’s Help pages outlining everything you need to know about cancelling a transaction. 

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Hi, @swenson8781 and  @rustictrollop just wanted to clarify that the buyer no longer has to approve the cancellation. It used to be that way but ebay changed the policy. So there is no longer a method to send a cancellation request to the buyer.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Hi, @swenson8781 and  @rustictrollop just wanted to clarify that the buyer no longer has to approve the cancellation. It used to be that way but ebay changed the policy. So there is no longer a method to send a cancellation request to the buyer.

@fashunu4eeuh

Okay, thanks for that!  I already initiated the cancellation request and sent the buyer a message about approving it.  Hope that doesn't confuse the heck out of the poor guy (he is still sending apology messages).

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@swenson8781 wrote:

Yes, look in the drop down menu next to the sale, if I recall correctly it might also be in the 'unpaid item area', or that's where it was in Selling Manager.  If you wish you can notify the buyer, and let him know that you will send the cancellation request and for him to watch for it, as he will need to approve it.  Otherwise, the system will send him notification automatically too.

@swenson8781

Thanks for your help!  The cancellation has officially gone through and I received a message from eBay.  All seems to be well.  Cheers!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Hi, here is the link to ebay’s Help pages outlining everything you need to know about cancelling a transaction. 

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

@fashunu4eeuh

Thanks for your help and for posting the link.  The cancellation has gone through and I received the official notification from eBay.  Cheers!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh

@swenson8781

I actually have another situation brewing regarding a potential refund that I've already posted on the Board.  If you get the chance, I would appreciate any advice on that particular situation.  Thanks again for your help!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Thanks for that info! I thought a buyer had still to 'approve' all cancellation requests on their behalf, but maybe when they changed the system to the 'defect' for OOS cancellations they did away with needing buyer approval.  That change is a good improvement I think Smiley Happy

@fashunu4eeuh

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

The cancellation request still goes to the buyer if they haven't paid - the buyer has 10 day to accept it. 

That's when the seller initiates it, but probably not if the buyer requests it within an hour of purchasing via an ebay request.