cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please. Filing Sales Tax Reporting as an Ebay Reseller.

Since Ebay is collecting and paying the taxes for our individual sales, Do we need to file a new tax form every 6 months to report the amount of taxes due?   Or is this part of what Ebay provides? @links

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You need to check with your individual state to find out the rules on marketplace sales tax..........they do differ.....

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It depends on your state.  Mine still requires that I file a Sales Tax report with 0 balances. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Depends on your state. I would reach out to your tax professional.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

as does new york ....

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@elr_412 

Although there are a lot of great helpfuls here on the community forum, If I could be suggestive...Reach out and contact a Tax professional who does this for a living and is informed and updated concerning all the present tax laws, etc.  That's your best way to get the answers you need. 

Good luck.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@elr_412 

You don't need to contact a "tax professional" per se. New York has a "Sales Tax Information Center" that New York taxpayers can call for assistance regarding sales tax obligations.

pburn_0-1673644018249.png

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

eBay isn't collecting any tax from sellers, presuming you mean Federal income tax.

What eBay collects, by law, is the STATE SALES TAX in about 46 states.  This is collected from your BUYER and is remitted by eBay to the state to which the buyer's purchase is delivered.  You, the seller, are charged the final value fee on this amount as well as the FVF on the item price and the shipping cost.  

Your post is a little confusing because it seems like you are identifying these two distinctly different taxes as one and the same.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

No, @soh.maryl, the OP is referring to sales tax forms New York requires to be completed and filed for businesses based in that state. S/he is not referring to income tax.

The OP understands that eBay has collected the sales tax and distributed it to New York (if any buyers were from there). S/he is now just asking about the forms s/he used to have to fill out and submit for the same sales tax collection before eBay was required to do that for all sellers.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Ohio never sent notification that sellers are exempt from filing because eBay remits the tax. I file the dollar amount of Ohio sales twice a year with zero payable by me.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@elr_412 

It looks like you are in Pennsylvania.  Here is the link eBay provides for PA sales tax info:

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/TaxTypes/SUT/OnlineRetailers/Pages/default.aspx

There is a call-back option on that page.

For other states, eBay has a list of links here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/taxes-import-charges/taxes-import-charges?id=4121

As others have commented, the rules differ dramatically by state.

Here in California, if a seller has no other business than eBay, the seller does not need to file a sales tax return.  However, those of us who have sales outside of eBay still need to file a return, but we list eBay sales as a lump-sum tax-exempt deduction from our gross sales. If I only had eBay sales, but still wanted to keep my resale permit active, I could enter the eBay gross, and then subtract the eBay gross, and show zero taxable sales.

Other states may require filing a return, although the taxable value would be zero because the Marketplace filed a return and paid the taxes.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hi, I have the same question for New York state. The web site does not give clear information about this. Do you have the answer to your question? Please share it if you meant about NY Sales tax. Thank you.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply