cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello couple of questions on returns.

I have quick question about how long it takes a buyer to return an item it has been 3 days the buyer. My second question on PayPal so the item that th buyer as requested a return PayPal has taken the funds out and I have a negative balance now. Do I refund him then even If PayPal already took the funds.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Hello couple of questions on returns.

@prabjodeo0 wrote:

I have quick question about how long it takes a buyer to return an item it has been 3 days the buyer. My second question on PayPal so the item that th buyer as requested a return PayPal has taken the funds out and I have a negative balance now. Do I refund him then even If PayPal already took the funds.

A buyer must return the item within 5 business days of requesting the return.

Paypal put that money on hold, so you do not remove or spend it, and those are the funds going back to the buyer.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Is the refund through eBay or Paypal?  If it's through eBay I believe the buyer has to send the item out within 5-6 days, and enter a tracking number into the system.  The negative balance you see in your account is most likely because the funds are on 'hold', which means not out of your account yet, but set aside for now.  So when you get the item back, yes, you refund the buyer, and Paypal will actually send those funds to the buyer.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@prabjodeo0 wrote:

Paypal put that money on hold, so you do not remove or spend it, and those are the funds going back to the buyer.

5 days is an eBay policy. Do you have a link to the PayPal UA saying the same?  I'm really asking cuz I don't know.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@prabjodeo0 wrote:

5 days is an eBay policy. Do you have a link to the PayPal UA saying the same?  I'm really asking cuz I don't know.

Unless anything changed -

Re: How long does a buyer have to return the item? Welcome. If the buyer opened a claim, and you responded by offering a full refund upon receipt of the item, then the buyer would have 10 days to provide return tracking.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

PayPal does not specify a timeframe for return, or at least I couldn't find it.  I guess, impliedly, the buyer has to return the item before the date the seller can ask to have the case closed in their favor.  The refund comes out of the money paypal is holding. They give you 30 days to cure the -balance.

5.2 Return of Item to Seller

When the Buyer files a Claim for PayPal Buyer Protection because the item received significantly differs from the Seller's item description, the Buyer is required upon request of PayPal to return the item at his own expenses to the Seller or to another person or address as requested by PayPal during the Claim process, as well as to provide appropriate proof of shipment.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@prabjodeo0 wrote:

Buyer has five days to send the item back.

Your funds are on hold for the refund.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I assume that 'return' here means 'shows he has shipped by uploading a tracking number' ?

Because as any seller knows once it is in the gentle hands of a third party, like USPS or FedEx, there is no telling when it will actually arrive.

And I have great faith in the postal system doing their job competently.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply