cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads Up Sellers!! eBay allowing buyers to pay what they choose on Best Offer options?

Today, I received and then declined an offer for $30 on a list price of $42.99 from a US buyer. Thinking the matter was finished, I went about my day to discover moments ago the item was purchased for $35 by same buyer  AFTER the offer was declined and without further offer or communications with that buyer.  I have no agreement with eBay to lower my prices or for eBay to accept offers on my behalf. "Erica" CSR has no idea what happened. Listing department has no idea why this happened.  I am awaiting comment from buyer.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Heads Up Sellers!! eBay allowing buyers to pay what they choose on Best Offer options?

@treasuresnewandvintage wrote:

Today, I received and then declined an offer for $30 on a list price of $42.99 from a US buyer. Thinking the matter was finished, I went about my day to discover moments ago the item was purchased for $35 by same buyer  AFTER the offer was declined and without further offer or communications with that buyer.  I have no agreement with eBay to lower my prices or for eBay to accept offers on my behalf. "Erica" CSR has no idea what happened. Listing department has no idea why this happened.  I am awaiting comment from buyer.

didn't you already post this with a different ebay id?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

From the buyers standpoint, and following the natural sequence of things, $35.00 had to be presented to the buyer "somehow"....

Most likely, auto accept maybe 'glitched'....but. I sincerely doubt ebay is gonna buy that since they can recreate literally any sale....

that being said, based on 42.99, if the buyer did offer 35, that seems to be an acceptable price if you are even bothering to offer "Best Offer"

I would just accept it and not risk a 'strike'

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@treasuresnewandvintage wrote:

didn't you already post this with a different ebay id?

@stuff4divas 

Thanks! On this  ID... I do  see a sale with a listing price of $42.99. My advice would be the same as offered on the other post.

Re: Heads Up Sellers!! eBay allowing buyers to pay... - The eBay Community

@treasuresnewandvintage 

Well, that is a shame. I don't see an item (under this ID) that was listed for $42.99, but hope that a $35 offer on it will work.

I see that you are "awaiting comment from buyer", and hope (for you) that you aren't considering an 'Out of Stock' Cancel. But if $35 is  a deal-breaker, you get two OOSs a year... so you can use one. I'd be stingier with mine, but that's just me...

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Their is a lot of info missing here & I highly doubt that eBay just changed your price so coincidentally as the buyer was looking at it. Regardless of what happened, if you can't accept an offer that's ~19% off without making a profit then you either need to change your business model or source your items at a better price. Cash flow is extremely important and the fast nickle will always beat the slow dime. Accept the offer and make the sale. You made money... Stop complaining. I accept offers every single day that are sometimes less than my 30% off coupon that I have. A lot of buyers utilize the 30% off coupon but sometimes I get offers that are even lower and I still accept because I'm making a profit and it drives sales/velocity. Good luck.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Probably an auto accept range that you forgot you had set.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Your scenario is a very rare scenario which most of us haven't confronted in our ebay days. Are you sure you didn't have an auto accept at $35 or auto enable offers feature triggered in the listing?

If they paid $35, then I would go ahead & ship. Don't cancel the order.......you don't to cancel too many orders because the platform will flag your seller account.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

ouch.   Isn't that the sellers choice as the owner of the item?  

I'd take the bad feedback over a forced sale for less money than I was asking.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

ouch.   Isn't that the sellers choice as the owner of the item?  

I'd take the bad feedback over a forced sale for less money than I was asking.

@divwido 

So what are you recommending to the OP?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@714ricki wrote:

Are you sure you didn't have an auto accept at $35 or auto enable offers feature triggered in the listing?

That is a good possibility.

A person can open the listing by selecting sell similar or relist.  You can then see if The Auto Accept function had been set.

The item will not relist as long as you do not complete the listing.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@divwido 

absolutely....but my post did say "I"

no way would I waste a 'nick/strike' on my TRS+ over 7 bucks.....not a chance

I don't trust CS in a situation like this

IF he can get the buyer to request the proper response, then buy all means, cancel it..

I just would not chance it......that's all

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

My guess is there was an auto accept set. I noticed in the past I had to really really double check settings as it would seem to default. Is $8 really worth causing a bad experience for a buyer or canceling a sale over? How do you think they would view you? My recommendation: just ship this one out and learn that you need to either not accept best offers or really really really double check all settings to avoid this again. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

In my opinion, you really should not be asking a buyer for comment. Some buyers do not even realize Ebay is made up of individual sellers. We should try to create a nice and seamless experience for all buyers. Not sure what you asked them for comment about, but if you are reaching out to a buyer and asking them how they were able to get a $35 price accepted, that would be wrong and in my opinion, out of place and odd for a buyer to see. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply