cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haven't made enough to cover fees

GTC has slowed me to nearly a stand still. Normally, when my fees are coming due, I bust a little extra butt to cover them. But since this GTC change, I'm just not getting the sales as quick as I was. So, I'm not gonna have enough $ in my account to cover my fees this month, unless I add money, which I have never had to do. So my question is, What happens to my account if I don't pay my fees by the 15th? I really have no idea. How hard will it be to fix if I opt to not pay? It makes me really sad to even ask this question, and honestly, the fact that I'm even considering not paying them is a statement to how bad this GTC change was for me. Real bummer, eBay!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

They will send a few payment reminders, suspend you until paid then after 60-90 days they’ll suspend you forever and send it to collections where the amount due will double or triple and ruin your credit. How can you not have enough to cover the fees?
Ebay deserves their cut so you need to pay.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

You’ve sold a lot! I’d be very happy to pay if I sold as much as you. GTC only started about 2 weeks ago and you only have 27 active listings so what’s the problem?
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

It may not be the GTC change at all but the time of year.  People are trying to get their taxes done and some are getting the unwanted surprise of actually owing taxes.  I find this time of year a bit slower until after tax day.

With that said, from your sold list you appear to be doing about the same as you did in the previous period.  In the 18 days since the rule change you have had about 30 sales [according to what we can see on your sold list] and in the previous 30 days before the rule change you had about 60.  I didn't look at the $$ of your sales, just the number of sales.

This change is very hard for many and it will take time to get use to or find a way to work within the rule if continuing to sell on Ebay.  

I'm sorry you are having trouble covering your fees.  Did you not build enough profit into your pricing or pull to much out of PP without realizing you had your fees coming due soon?  I do sincerely hope you get it all figured out so that it doesn't negatively impact you in the future.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@evodoor wrote:

GTC has slowed me to nearly a stand still. Normally, when my fees are coming due, I bust a little extra butt to cover them. But since this GTC change, I'm just not getting the sales as quick as I was. So, I'm not gonna have enough $ in my account to cover my fees this month, unless I add money, which I have never had to do. So my question is, What happens to my account if I don't pay my fees by the 15th? I really have no idea. How hard will it be to fix if I opt to not pay? It makes me really sad to even ask this question, and honestly, the fact that I'm even considering not paying them is a statement to how bad this GTC change was for me. Real bummer, eBay!

eBay fees are about 10% of a sale.....what happened to the other 90% of the money?

You can not pay your fees and call it a "statement" if you wish. eBay will suspend your account to show you what they think of your statement.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Normally, I pay my fees with $ made in the last week of the month, never had a problem selling that much, always sell at least one or two items a day.  I just wasn't prepared for the slow down. Of course, I'll pay it. I am just bummed that my sales have slowed, and really didn't realize how much of a boost I was getting from the "ending soon" searches on my 5 & 7 day listings. It was early this morning when I posted this, hadn't had my coffee yet. I'm sure it will pick up as I add listings throughout the month. Thanks for your input.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I just wasn't expecting the slow down. My own fault, really. Better planning is a must. Its just a hobby, not a life threatening crisis. Thanks for your input!

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I make one time payments every time I reach $5 in fees. Makes things so much less stressful.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Me to I make one time payments but daily so I don't get hit with a big bill at the end of the month.  I also advise sellers should keep a minimal balance like $1000 in PayPal to cover such slower periods or any disputes that may arise.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@evodoor wrote:

You know what I did when eBay really started screwing its sellers hard a couple of years ago. I started paying as I went. Once a day I pay the final value fees and the estimated FedEx shipping charges. Under the account menu you can see where you daily activity is. towards the middle of the page their is a one time payment button. When you hit that it shows an area where you can put in the amount you want to pay. I put in that days expenses. It will tell you that you are going to overpay. Hit the button again and it will take you thru the process of making the payment. Sometimes it will show I am in the green over $100. But I know the shipping fees are coming. Also if you pay as you go. Then what is left is yours. It is also a good indicator of how much money you are actually making.

But I totally agree. eBay is dirty on this deal and they seem to care less and less about sellers. What kind of a CEO tells its stock holders to be prepared to lose money in 2019. That is what he told them. Devin needs to go.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I make one time payments every time I reach $5 in fees. Makes things so much less stressful.

For myself, I pay once a month on a credit card with cash back bonuses.  I don't run up a tab on this credit card either.  I use it for business stuff and I pay it off every month.  This has worked great for me for years.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I really feel for you OP. I've been there before. But as @mam98031  says, this is one of the slowest time of the year for many of the product categories. It's been like that ever since I started ebay. In times like this it's good to save a bit more for a rainy day. Many businesses do that, myself included. It'll end up balancing out by the end of the year.

For myself, I make payments once a month... automatically. The seller hub has an "account summary" section that shows your current account balance. I always make sure I have that much in my PayPal balance and some change (for potential returns). I never withdraw any amount that puts my PayPal balance to go under that amount.

I know this is just a hobby for you... but not to sound too harsh. If you notice a consistent pattern of low sales for an extended amount of time (especially after a policy change/update), you really have to analyze and make sure it is in fact because of the change. And if so, you had better make some adjustments otherwise it might be smart to close shop. Unless you just enjoy the act of eBay selling that is. Good luck.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I had an instance years ago when I couldn't cover my fees. ebay's response was to delete all my listings, over 250 of them at the time. Once I paid the fees, they allowed to come back and sell, but I had to relist everything.

While I did manage to cover my fees this month, I cannot pay any of my bills, and nothing is selling. I don't blame the GTC stuff as much as the product based shopping nonsense, that's what's destroying everyone, and most don't even realize it.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@pauls-parts wrote:

@evodoor wrote:

You know what I did when eBay really started screwing its sellers hard a couple of years ago. I started paying as I went. Once a day I pay the final value fees and the estimated FedEx shipping charges. Under the account menu you can see where you daily activity is. towards the middle of the page their is a one time payment button. When you hit that it shows an area where you can put in the amount you want to pay. I put in that days expenses. It will tell you that you are going to overpay. Hit the button again and it will take you thru the process of making the payment. Sometimes it will show I am in the green over $100. But I know the shipping fees are coming. Also if you pay as you go. Then what is left is yours. It is also a good indicator of how much money you are actually making.

But I totally agree. eBay is dirty on this deal and they seem to care less and less about sellers. What kind of a CEO tells its stock holders to be prepared to lose money in 2019. That is what he told them. Devin needs to go.

So in response to what you felt was Ebay screwing you as a seller, you responded by paying them every day, possibly weeks before the fee was even due?  LOL!  You really showed them!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I agree with @mam98031, there is normally a slowdown in sales at this time of year, because of taxes being due.

It is worse this year, because so many people have been shocked to find out that their itemized deductions are not allowed any more, and the increase in the standard deduction doesn't come near to compensating for the change. Many people have been shocked to find out that they owe thousands, when they expected to get a small amount refunded like they have always done.

There hasn't been enough time with GTC for anything to have changed in the way buyers see the listings, so that can't have had an effect on sales yet. And Product Based Selling has been around for for more than a year, so that effect has already taken place.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply