cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hate to beat a dead horse but........

First time in YEARS that I have not had a sale in two consecutive days (other than being on vacation).  This is getting ridiculous.  I don't want to hear well your selling clothing or your prices are to high or any other baloney the Cheerleaders want to feed.  Fact is EBAY is falling way short of allowing my items to be viewed.  This is what I pay you for Ebay.......and I am not even talking about the other elephants in the room.  GET IT TOGETHER SOON, your costing me money.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Hate to beat a dead horse but........

Just a  quick count of your  first 60 current listings & found 17 clothing items - jerseys, hoodie sweatshirts & a few hats (all clothing items in my book) or 28.33% of your first 60 active listing.  Heck, 17 represent 1.65%  of all your 1088 active listings. And you  have a lot more throughout  your remain 1028 listings.  Maybe you  meant you only actually sell 1% by dollar amount or by quantity.

Something one needs to think about.  Peoples  income tax returns won't be as large as they  normally were in past years as working people were having less taxes taken out of their pay checks.  My son's, an electrician of 14 years, tax return  this year was about $300, in years past he would receive  close to $1K but his take home pay for most of 2018 would  more than offset than that $700 different  by a good amount.  All this means a surge  in discretionary spending can't be counted on this year during  this time of year and  Valentines days probably took a  big  chunk out available funds last week.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 16 of 45
latest reply

I would have to see that to believe it.  If you say that your other store is up 250% I would want to see that. Did you increase inventory over that time?

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

@caninekopz wrote:

First I do not sell much clothing on this account.

I never suggested that you did.

@caninekopz wrote:

I sell all over the board so, yes, it could be the ebbs and flows of the season, but I feel like it is more that Ebay is throttling my sales. 

I don't disagree with the suggestion of throttling ... I have examples of items not being visible, and I have examples of competitors items not being visible.   I've also had the situations of sales only being in one place ... like the day that all my sales were to Minnesota, even though I rarely sell into that state.  And, we all know that the TOS allows for manipulation of visibility ... and we know that a "store reset" will suddenly revive sales sometimes.

I was only trying to say that a period of 48 hours without sales is not necessarily manipulation by eBay ... it could just as well be the ebb and flow of sales.   Also, now that I think about it,  I've not noticed throttling since the algorithm changed in Spring of 2018.

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

This may be off subject or not but when searching lately I searched bonsai and art.  Those where my two words in general search.  The Ebay search took me to the garden category automatically for the items it returned.  I wanted all items on Ebay but it refined my search and chose a certain category for me.  This may be a problem when someone searches something specific and it can be found in a few categories say snow pants which can be found in sports gear or pants.

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

My husband and I have noticed that too.  One period it seems everything goes to Texas, then everything seems to be sent to New York.  Use to think it was coincidence, but it seems to be far too frequent to just be chance.

Message 20 of 45
latest reply

Yes John but I have over 1200 listings to start with and then the Tennessee Jerseys you talk about only account for a few of the items......Not all the clothing items you described.   No going to argue with you about the clothing either.  I stated my other facts about our clothing store.  If I was just selling Tennessee clothing I would understand the downturn as this is not the season.  

Rich 

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

Believe it or not its true.  That store is about 90% new clothing.....I have a person continually loading on that store....so as things sell, they list new things.  About 1500 items in total at any given time.  Not so much increasing inventory although we may be 100 or so more than this time last year.

I buy clothing very cheap and sell it cheap.  Bottom line. 

Rich

Message 22 of 45
latest reply

I have done the same in my store but sales have been bad since the new year. February has been the worst for me.Thank's for posting
Message 23 of 45
latest reply

Yes, it's a dead horse, but people don't want to hear that.......  What they want to hear is how to fix it, so it goes back to some sort of "stability".  People want to hear that if they jump through all the hoops and do the "right" thing, sales will go back to some sense of normal.  I am not sure what "normal" is these days on eBay, but I have been selling on eBay since 1997 and what I have seen the last year on eBay is NOT NORMAL.  The things I sell are eclectic (i.e.; I sell trading cards, coins, books, porcelains, dolls and doll accessories, clothing, shoes, toys/action figures, cosmetics and more)   It use to be that when one thing wasn't selling, something else was and this covered any "ebbs" of the market for any one particular type of item.  Last April, I started noticing a decline in sales and in October, I closed my store as sales had dropped off a cliff (I went from about $2,200.00 a month to $400.00 a month) .  I still manage a few sales per month and I don't really care about sales (or eBay for that matter), because my monthly income for my bills is now derived elsewhere (I got a job with the USPS).

It feels "freeing" to be away from eBay and I have a lot more social activity in my life since leaving.  The best part is that if something sells, great, if not, well I don't sweat it or beat my head over it.....trying to fix a broken wheel.  In my humble opinion, eBay is now trying to be Paypal and derive revenue streams not from being a market place, but rather by being a tax collector and by being a payment processor.  The best thing (for me) that I can do is to NOT FEED THE MONSTER any more.  Thus, my monthly fees to eBay has gone from $300 a month to $24.  The less I sell, the less eBay can process or collect taxes on and lets not forget my buying habits.  On one particular month I spent $7,000 to buy product on eBay, last year (for the whole year), I spent $62.  I know FOR A FACT, I am not alone in my thinking.  Once upon a time the boards were filled with other ID's, these people posted regularly and many were medium to larger sellers.  When I look up these ID's, they are NARU and all I have to do beyond that is to look at my feedback (both buying & selling) to see how many of the people I have done business with in the past that are no longer here.

eBay has become and IS smoke and mirrors.  It is not even a comparison to what it once was and the place many called their e-commerce home.  Ebay thinks people are a dime a dozen, be they buyer or seller, but loyalty to a brand or a company does not a dime a dozen make.  

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

Very well said and very well put.  Just a quick...when I went on vacation this year I put all my handling time to 14 days. Then a note about being on vacation.  Funny thing was first day while in the airports I sold 22 items.....in one day like Ebay knew I was leaving town......I stressed all vacation about the Ebay sales accumulating.  We had a employee trying to put items together and get them out but between the 4 stores and Amazon, she was head over heals busy.  My point was the stress of just knowing items were waiting to be mailed.  I vowed to turn off my phone to Ebay next Year.  Bad on my part for letting that happen.

Thanks for words that are true for this period in time. 

Rich 

Message 25 of 45
latest reply

I agree 100% !!!!!   Twice this year, already, I've had long stretches of days without sales - 7+ days being the longest!  Both long stretches came immediately after having a very good day for sales.  After a $245 day, I went 10 days with about $40 in sales!  $24 in a week's time.  It's getting pathetic.   Good luck to all.    🙂

Message 26 of 45
latest reply

I see this, too.  Most US sales go to TX, NY, PA, CA, FL.  Sometimes to OH.  Sales to any other state is rare.  Within Canada, most go to ON, QC, BC.  Pretty limited!  It has been that way for ages.   Good luck.    🙂

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

@caninekopz wrote:

First time in YEARS that I have not had a sale in two consecutive days (other than being on vacation).  This is getting ridiculous.  I don't want to hear well your selling clothing or your prices are to high or any other baloney the Cheerleaders want to feed.  Fact is EBAY is falling way short of allowing my items to be viewed.  This is what I pay you for Ebay.......and I am not even talking about the other elephants in the room.  GET IT TOGETHER SOON, your costing me money.

I'd need to go and  double check but I believe that I haven't had a sale since last weekend . I've been adding new items nearly every day , lowered a few prices and even revamped my titles  but nothing is moving . I've also noticed the number of views are way down . Could be people are waiting on their  tax refunds ? Don't know , but I sure hope it picks up soon . I've experienced lulls like this before so I'm not ready to hit the panic button ,, yet .  😞   Tulips 

Message 28 of 45
latest reply

Is it really Ebay preventing your items from being found or are BUYERS not looking for them? You are offering some unusual items so I have to wonder how big your market is and if it is realistic that you would have that many buyers to begin with. I play the long game. I list what I have and let it ride.  Sometimes it sells here, sometimes it sells on another site first.  Sometimes it is about timing, season, price, or fashion.

I searched and FOUND your items just fine.  Not necessarily items I would shop for tho.

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

Is it really Ebay preventing your items from being found or are BUYERS not looking for them? You are offering some unusual items so I have to wonder how big your market is and if it is realistic that you would have that many buyers to begin with. I play the long game. I list what I have and let it ride.  Sometimes it sells here, sometimes it sells on another site first.  Sometimes it is about timing, season, price, or fashion.

I searched and FOUND your items just fine.  Not necessarily items I would shop for tho.

I agree with you.  Whenever I hear the "if ebay would quit hiding my items, I'd have more sales" nonsense, I just yawn.

Message 30 of 45
latest reply