cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has any other seller become a victim of Phantom Buyers

Since the middle of February, I've had a rash of new buyers with zero feedback and don't pay. They would shop and buy the most popular and costly items you have listed, usually about 6-8 and request a total from you. Now i've played their game in the beginning since Ebay lets guest buyers buy from you, so after sending an invoice, then in 2 days ( that's what I have pay time scheduled) I open a non pay claim, now they get an additional 4 days which is bullcrap. If you are not going to hear from this buyer in 2 days after a number of e-mails sent, your not going to hear anything in 4 days. I call the infamous customer service pros and as I'm blasting them with questions, you can hear them shuffle thru the preprinted que cards with answers to all questions and they can't come up with one. They look onto my buyer requirements and they are fine, my next step is immediate payment that isn't fair to your steady customers. The addresses they use on the accounts are usually empty storefronts or apartment buildings, and a phone number in never included, also the account is always opened at the time they purchase. So now, as soon as I get one, the order is cancelled. Knock on wood, I haven't got one in a few weeks but it's not saying that another seller is getting blessed with there bull...here's a kicker, they use addresses from all over and not just one area, I even got one where the name used was from a deceased person from that town the address was put as ship to.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I had one buy a broken part of mine middle of last year and then complain; I had to accept return and they never did.   0 FB except for my 1.  I know it was an attack by someone but who knows whom. 

Had a guy buy an item from me four months ago and try to return it complaining it was missing parts that were never included in pictures or description.  Called eBay and they let him return and claimed they'd supply the restocking fee.  Nobody did.  He had 0 feedback

Otherwise, haven't had a whole much issue that I can recall.  Most of my issues come from buyers who've been on ebay for a long time but only have done a couple hundred feeback. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

So now, as soon as I get one, the order is cancelled.

That's going to earn you OS defects as you can't just arbitrarily cancel sales because you "think" there will be a problem.....  Enough of those and you may be restricted/suspended/bounced off......

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You CANNOT cancel the orders just because the buyer has 0 feedback.  You will be banned from eBay very shortly if you continue to do this.  You may already be in trouble. 

DO use Immediate Payment Required.  It WORKS!!  It is perfectly fair to your good buyers - I have  used it for the last 4-5 years, and I have many, many wonderful repeat buyers all the time. 

And to answer your question, every single seller who sells on eBay for any length of time has had non-paying bidders.  Some categories are more prone to them than others, but it does happen to everyone. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I've had a rash of new buyers with zero feedback and don't pay. 

This has been a commonly reported problem for well over a decade. There are countless selelrs who have this problem, and countless sellers who do not. 

I call the infamous customer service pros and they can't come up with one. 

That's because there is no answer for them to give. Don't blame customer support for something they do not have the power to change. There is nothing they can do to alter how eBay does business. 

my next step is immediate payment that isn't fair to your steady customers.

It can be fair if you have set up shipping rules that provide accurate combined shipping. 

they use addresses from all over and not just one area, I even got one where the name used was from a deceased person from that town the address was put as ship to

I find it unlikely that a buyer would go to this much trouble to harvest identities, since he could do it under his own name repeatedly with impunity. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ebay knows of my intentions of doing so.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@dreamcatcherdiecastwrote:
Ebay knows of my intentions of doing so.

You cancel to many orders, because you want to, could get you banned from selling.

Ebay doesn't care what your intentions are, they want happy buyers.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 7
latest reply