cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked account

Hi. My account got hacked and somone purchased and managed to ship 3 gaming computer to another address woth over 11K.  Ebay won't help at all . My card that I had on file with PayPal declined the attempt but PayPal said they upfront it the money and I will have a negative balance on my account.  I don't know what to do. Please any advice greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Hacked account

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/get-help-hacked-account?id=4196

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

Stick with your Credit Card issuer.  Make your Credit Card issuer take it up with PayPal.  

Posting ID
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

It was a credit card they used...so go to the credit card issuer you have.

And record the address where it is going...you can google the address and see what building it might be.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

@fierze_2002 

The FIRST thing you need to do is CHANGE your password.  Also make sure you email address is correct that is attached to your account.

From there you need to notify Ebay Security Department ASAP.  Gather all your evidence of this happening and contact them.  Share everything with them.  Let them know that you checked your Email address on the account and you changed your password.

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/get-help-hacked-account?id=4196

Follow the contact button in this policy as it will take you directly to the Security Department.

Good Luck!

Please come back and update us.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

Several things you need to do. Not sure if you mean they hacked your eBay account or your Paypal account given you stated eBay won't help at all. 

1. Contact your CC company and report the card information as being stolen. 

2. Change your Paypal account password and CC information.

3. Change your eBay password and CC information. 

4. Review all of your CC charges. If they hacked your account they may have your CC information

and could be using it elsewhere. 

5. Collect all the order information you can and file a police report with the hackers local 

police department. You should have the buyers name and address information from the 

orders. 

6. Report the incident to the FBI cyber crimes division. You may not be the only person that has been 

hacked or had their CC information stolen. 

7. Report the incident to eBay as mam98031 and ajanet9988 suggested. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

Thank you for your reply.  I have contacted ebay and PayPal. Ebay says its a PayPal issue, PayPal says its ebay since ebay account was hacked. I had my debit card linked with PayPal. No money was taken from my debit card as there were not sufficient funds in the card, but PayPal said they still payed for the transaction and said to me that I will have a negative balance on my PayPal account.  I don't understand how PayPal pay for somthing after the card on file declined the transaction.  PayPal and ebay just telling me it's the others problem and take it with them. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

Thank you for your reply.  I have contacted ebay and PayPal. Ebay says its a PayPal issue, PayPal says its ebay since ebay account was hacked. I had my debit card linked with PayPal. No money was taken from my debit card as there were not sufficient funds in the card, but PayPal said they still payed for the transaction and said to me that I will have a negative balance on my PayPal account.  I don't understand how PayPal pay for somthing after the card on file declined the transaction.  PayPal and ebay just telling me it's the others problem and take it with them. 

Of course they are. The laws regarding debit cards and chargebacks are a little different than they are for CC's but you should not be responsible for the items that were purchased. Contact your debit card issuer/bank regarding the issue and open a chargeback to recover any money that was taken from your debit card for any of the purchased items.

Close out the debit card and obtain a new one but do not link the new one in your Paypal account until you can clear up this situation. When you get the statement from PayPal regarding any attempt to recover a "negative balance" refute the charges. You may want to contact PayPal in advance this may be a battle between eBay and PayPal as to whom absorbs the loss. Again pull everything you can regarding the items that were purchased and file it to your own files somewhere. PayPal or the police may want this information at some point and there is no guarantee that eBay will retain the information. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

@fierze_2002 

I agree with the advice that @dbfolks166mt  gave you.  And I would do it right away.

Did you use the link on the policy page I gave you in my earlier post so you get to the Safety and Security team on Ebay?  That makes a big difference from regular customer service.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

I have done all the steps mentioned by you guys and still unresolved and I am super stressed that I will own this money to PayPal. As of right now my PayPal balance is minus 11K

My card company said they can't do anything as no funds where taking from the card.( PayPal approved and gave the funds for the transaction even after my card declined the transaction)

Ebay send me an email acknowledge that my account was compromised without my authorization and as of result third party managed to change my personal information including shipping address and purchased items.  Also they stated that ebay is only a payment processor and I should take the matter up with PayPal. 

PayPal says your ebay account was hacked take it with ebay. I had linked my debit card to PayPal and I didn't keep much money on it just in case I get hacked and there will not be much they can take. I wish I can warning everyone with debit card linked to PayPal that this may happen to them and there will be no solution.  Thank you all for the response you gave me.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

IMHO you need to approach this as TWO separate issues because it is.  Both sites are right, pointing fingers back and forth at each other if you are lumping this together to be a single issue.

With Ebay you need to be addressing the hacking of your account and making sure it is now secure.

With PayPal you need to put the transaction into dispute as it is PP that caused this issue you have.  Ebay can do nothing to help you with this part as they had nothing to do with it.  So you will need to keep looking to PP to fix this issue.  But get that transaction in dispute.

As for Ebay, contact them again.  Stay on target to the email you got from them about your account being hacked and make sure you are all secure now.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hacked account

Agree with you with regards to splitting the issue. The eBay side will probably be easier to fix with regards to the account hack but the OP should also be working with them on the buyer issues and where the items actually went. OP may also need to file a complaint with the FBI cyber crimes unit at https://www.ic3.gov/ 

I believe this is the first time I have seen a posting like this on the forum. This is going to be a quirky one with regards to the following. 

With PayPal you need to put the transaction into dispute as it is PP that caused this issue you have.  Ebay can do nothing to help you with this part as they had nothing to do with it.  So you will need to keep looking to PP to fix this issue.  But get that transaction in dispute.

OP can't dispute with their debit card since nothing was actually taken from the debit card. This is a PayPal screw up where they released the funds to eBay out of their own pockets, which has always been their practice, before the financial transaction had cleared with the card holders bank. This is on Paypal and unfortunately it may take a lawyer to get the issue resolved. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply