cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! with return request

I just had a return request from someone who I think may have filed SNAD.  As you can see, I responded by showing her that the listing did indeed note the expiration dates.  But is this enough for customer service?  Should I just go ahead and pay for the label and let her return this without any further action, or should I call customer service and explain that while I accept returns, it should be on the buyer's dime, not mine.  Note: my message is first, hers follows. 
Any advice welcome!

Here's what happened
Aug 28
You sent a message
HI, I received your request for a return due to a problem with the item. Here is the exact wording from the listing: Two bottles of Hydroderm Original age-defying wrinkle serum. both sealed. Each is 1 fluid ounce or 30 ml. The bottom of one box is torn. One expired 1/2017. One expired 2/2017. This clearly states that both are expired, so this is not a return for a defective product. I did not deceive you in any way (you can go to the original listing and read this for yourself if you like). I do have a policy that accepts returns for any reason (or no reason at all), but that return policy says that the responsibility of the buyer to pay return postage and to return the product in the same condition in which they were mailed. (sealed). Do you plan to return these items?

Aug 28
The buyer (4everlookn) created a return (5063353551)
Reason for return
Doesn't work or defective

Comments
these items are beyond their expiration date. I did not realize his until I opened the boxes, to put the items in my vanity. Clearly printed by manufacturer, on the bottom of one is exp 0117 and the other exp 0217. Had she posted this information I might have bid, not sure, as there was another bottle for sale by another seller that truthfully noted their hydroderm was expired and there were 0 bids on that item. I would never have paid this price for these had the seller noted that they were expired.
Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Accept the return and quit selling expired merchandise.

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

SNAD trumps your returns policy; it is the seller's responsibility to pay shipping, but do you really want to pay shipping on an expired product to get it back?

You can't sell it; Ebay does not allow expired products to be sold.

I wouldn't call Ebay CS to call these violations to their attention.  Calling attention to the violations would not be good.

In my opinion, just refund the buyer and let it go, apologize to the buyer for your mistake, and hope for the best in feedback.  Hopefully they won't leave any.  

Don't sell anything that has expired to avoid violations and problems.

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

But is this enough for customer service? 

In a word, no.

In three words, not even close.

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

Give the buyer an immediate return payment, tell her to toss the item and apologize for selling her expired merchandise.

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

I sell expired film (which is a bit more sellable than expired drugs).

The word Expired goes 

1. in the title

2. in the condition

3. as the first line in the text.

The goal is to make sure your buyer wants expired stuff, because CS isn't going to save you based on some bad news buried down in the text.

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

Accept the return, and when you receive the items, you can report a problem with the buyer for the reason that you do "Not Agree with Buyer's Reason for Return".

This will automatically report the buyer, and you should be able to deduct your return shipping fees, and a restocking fee, if you have your listing set up for it..

But seriously, why would you sell something that is expired? Even if it is stated in the listing, isn't that a bit unethical to sell a product that is of no use?

Neither of you is in the right. 

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:

Accept the return, and when you receive the items, you can report a problem with the buyer for the reason that you do "Not Agree with Buyer's Reason for Return".

This will automatically report the buyer, and you should be able to deduct your return shipping fees, and a restocking fee, if you have your listing set up for it..

But seriously, why would you sell something that is expired? Even if it is stated in the listing, isn't that a bit unethical to sell a product that is of no use?

This woud come under a health care item and it clearly states you  cannot sell expired items.

Seller totally at fault.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/prescriptions.html

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

SNAD trumps your returns policy; it is the seller's responsibility to pay shipping, but do you really want to pay shipping on an expired product to get it back?

You can't sell it; Ebay does not allow expired products to be sold.

I wouldn't call Ebay CS to call these violations to their attention.  Calling attention to the violations would not be good.

In my opinion, just refund the buyer and let it go, apologize to the buyer for your mistake, and hope for the best in feedback.  Hopefully they won't leave any.  

Don't sell anything that has expired to avoid violations and problems.

Yes, definitely ask the buyer to toss it.  Simple and sweet.  Dear Buyer:  I apologize for this transaction of expired merchandise and regret any inconvenience or trouble this may has caused.  Please accept this refund and discard the product.  Thank you for  your purchase and for your understanding.

Sincerely, Your Seller

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

@sg51 wrote:

The word Expired goes 

1. in the title

2. in the condition

The goal is to make sure your buyer wants expired stuff, because CS isn't going to save you based on some bad news buried down in the text.

I literally this past weekend sold some expired film (it was clearly identified as such). Some people are looking for that specifically. YMMV.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@plumbingspecials wrote:

This woud come under a health care item and it clearly states you  cannot sell expired items.

Seller totally at fault.

Sorry, I work in the field, the item is a cosmetic NOT a healthcare item, it doesn't fall under the linked policy as it's not consider an OTC, prescription or restricted pet care product.

Still should not be sold if it's expired though.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 11 of 48
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@plumbingspecials wrote:

Seller totally at fault.

Sorry, I work in the field, the item is a cosmetic NOT a healthcare item, it doesn't fall under the linked policy as it's not consider an OTC, prescription or restricted pet care product.

Still should not be sold if it's expired though.

Yes, I agree that the item is a cosmetic and not "health care".  I can find no eBay policy restricting the sale of expired "cosmetic" items, although I think the seller is setting themselves up for disaster by doing so.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 12 of 48
latest reply

@varebelrose wrote:

@sg51 wrote:

The word Expired goes 

1. in the title

2. in the condition

I literally this past weekend sold some expired film (it was clearly identified as such). Some people are looking for that specifically. YMMV.

Expired film is probably a collector item.  I doubt you could say the same about this product.  It is something you buy to use, not collect.

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Some products are marketed with claims that they will make people look younger. But are these products cosmetics? It depends.

• Products intended to make people more attractive are generally cosmetics. For example, moisturizing is a cosmetic claim. So, if a product is intended to make lines and wrinkles less noticeable, simply by moisturizing the skin, it’s a cosmetic. Similarly, makeup or “primers” intended to make the signs of aging less noticeable just by hiding them are also cosmetics. 
  • But, products intended to affect the structure or function of the body, such as the skin, are drugs, or sometimes medical devices, even if they affect the appearance. So, if a product is intended, for example, to remove wrinkles or increase the skin’s production of collagen, it’s a drug or a medical device. 
Message 14 of 48
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Some products are marketed with claims that they will make people look younger. But are these products cosmetics? It depends.

• Products intended to make people more attractive are generally cosmetics. For example, moisturizing is a cosmetic claim. So, if a product is intended to make lines and wrinkles less noticeable, simply by moisturizing the skin, it’s a cosmetic. Similarly, makeup or “primers” intended to make the signs of aging less noticeable just by hiding them are also cosmetics. 
  • But, products intended to affect the structure or function of the body, such as the skin, are drugs, or sometimes medical devices, even if they affect the appearance. So, if a product is intended, for example, to remove wrinkles or increase the skin’s production of collagen, it’s a drug or a medical device. 

@emerald40 Is that statement from the eBay help/policy pages?  I agree with the statement and as I said, I think that there should be restrictions on expired cosmetics, but I still can't find an eBay policy that applies.  This would make an excellent question for the eBay blues.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 15 of 48
latest reply