cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELLO eBay where are the BUYERS this place is a ghost town

I'm running some auctions and most of them ONLY have 3-10 views while my few remaining GTC listings are stagnant....pathetic! Where are ALL the buyers eBay? Why is this place a ghost town?

Good luck to ALL the small sellers out there!
Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: HELLO eBay where are the BUYERS this place is a ghost town

I'm thinking that they are happy with the relist fees from the suckers that believe that GTC is good, the ones that forget to end the ads, the ones that do not know about the policy, etc. etc. BE SMART. END your GTC early and restart them when you want!
Message 61 of 97
latest reply

This  report says something  different.  And what  has been the GMV over a longer  time  period like since 2006.  Looks  like a steadily increasing NE curve  from  here. Remember one robin  never makes a spring time.  Maybe if one would apply a regression  analysis via  least squares to get a more accurate  over all picture of what  has  and is happening to  help  predict what  might  happen in the future.

https://www.marketplacepulse.com/stats/ebay/ebay-gross-merchandise-volume-gmv-17

Secondly, eBay revenue/profitability is  not  measured  by the  value value  of the merchandise  sold - eBays income revenue comes from the fees - FMV, listing, list enhancements, store subscriptions, etc.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 62 of 97
latest reply

As soon as I had to restructure all my bin listing to auction style, because of the new    gtc policy, sales stopped. Buyers don’t want to bid, wait, and wonder, they find what they want and buy it now. Very few are going to bid and wait a week to see if they get/win the item or not. I did best with 30 day duration bin listings with the make offer option. I usually (with eBay free listing promos) would have 200-300 listings at all times. But now I have to watch out with gtc nonsense since each listing renews itself every 30 days and counts. I’m not going to pay 35 cents a pop, because I only use the free listing offers, and buyers are not going to bid, they want bin with offer option. Whoever thought to do this is not the brightest bulb. I lose, ebay loses, buyer loses, paypal loses, and greedy usps loses, everyone loses. I also strongly resent all the extra hours of work it causes me whenever these ridiculous changes are forced on me. 

Message 63 of 97
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

There are sellers that are getting consistent sales - so I don't know why all of a sudden many of us are dead in the water. I've changed up my listing format  numerous times these past few weeks trying to find an algorithm that works - but so far nada.

Listing format is just one of many variables in the sales equation.

Some would argue that it is also not the most important, placing it below what you sell and how much you charge.  

lucky - I'm know newb to the game and you know that - I know some of the best sellers on here and follow some of the best vloggers. There is no rhyme nor reason that sales came to an abrupt halt for many of us.

As I've said - it's not only changing up the listing format - I have done it all except switching to global shipping as I'm happy doing international shipping on my own. 

I'm more than aware of what I sell - what is trending - and where best to sell it - so you are preaching to the choir.

I'm very happy other's are getting sales and in the past poo - poo'd those who said their sales came to a complete halt - but when a 20 yr veteran doesn't know what the heck is going on - there is a problem - be it search, algorithm - maybe more visibility is given to those that do more than minimum on promoted listings - who knows. Upping my promoted listing "offering" is the only thing I haven't done - but then prices will have to be adjusted to accommodate that - so who's the loser - they buyers!

Rolling brownouts because the servers are bogged down.

Happens EVERY update.

I don't doubt they need new or more servers - we've talked about that for years and it's been mentioned by past employees how antiquated it is. As a business when you are beholding to stockholders - it seems to have become more common to band-aid a problem than actually fix what needs to be done - and we've seen that here with all the tech problems that have been around for years and never repaired but then they roll something else out for us to use.

Its common to band-aid problems in a business you are looking to sell. 

Message 64 of 97
latest reply

I always wonder when an eCommerce platform like eBay makes "big changes" if THOSE CHANGES don't effect all the search engines and affiliate sellers links & algorithms creating a down turn in sales for a couple months after the "changes" take effect. popeye 

I'm no expert  but I believe  they do have a negative effect . I don't know how else  to explain the strange phenomenon  of so many sellers reporting no sales for days and even weeks on end  then to have a sudden burst of  several sales then back to nothing again. It's hard to imagine all those buyers  suddenly buying all at the same time   after weeks of stagnation   without  being very suspicious  of the cause . Tulips 

Message 65 of 97
latest reply

The cause is eBay and their Algorithm program! It stinks!! 😞

Message 66 of 97
latest reply

@weschurch wrote:

Actaully GMV on the marketplace is down -6%. 

Q1 2019: 

"(Marketplace) GMV was down 4% on an as-reported basis and down 1% on a FX-Neutral basis.

Q4 2018: 

"(Marketplace) GMV was up 1% on an as-reported basis and 3% on a FX-Neutral basis." 

FY 2018: 

"For the full year 2018, eBay reported GMV of $95 billion, up 7% on an as-reported basis and 5% on a FX-Neutral basis."

Message 67 of 97
latest reply

@cs497kcpope wrote:

The cause is eBay and their Algorithm program! It stinks!! 😞

It stands to reason IMO  . Ever get used to a grocery or department store  layout ? You've been there enough times to already know where everything is  kept which makes it easier and less time consuming to shop . Then one day you stop by and they've changed everything ? and  some of the new the places they've chosen  to display some of their products don't even make any sense . Sort of off topic ,, but this is what gripes me about Walmart super centers . You go to the meat section to buy  steaks for a barbeque  and then you  need to walk the entire length of the store to find the charcoals  on the completely   other side . Grrrr . The chili beans and the pinto beans are on different aisles  etc etc . It's just plain  dumb IMO . Anyway ,, to keep changing stuff  just means buyers  have to keep learning  new  routes  . Some keep trying and some just give up and move on .  😞   Tulips 

Message 68 of 97
latest reply

You do have a point! The GTC I don't believe is helping any of us! Also I don't know about you other sellers but I have had to raise all my prices because of shipping USPS! Higher prices I'm sure is not helping us either? China does not have that problem with their shipping cost!!

Message 69 of 97
latest reply

@laurabeardsley wrote:

If you look at their last quarter it shows profits up BUT even Ebay admits it is because they made more off the sellers even though the sellers sales were down.

Perhaps THIS is the reason for GTC the "GOT YA FEE" since that is definitely a revenue generator for eBay.

Good luck to ALL the small sellers out there!
Message 70 of 97
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:
@weschurch wrote:

Actaully GMV on the marketplace is down -6%. 

Q1 2019: 

"(Marketplace) GMV was down 4% on an as-reported basis and down 1% on a FX-Neutral basis.

Q4 2018: 

"(Marketplace) GMV was up 1% on an as-reported basis and 3% on a FX-Neutral basis." 

FY 2018: 

"For the full year 2018, eBay reported GMV of $95 billion, up 7% on an as-reported basis and 5% on a FX-Neutral basis."

Really not that hard. Its down 6% in Q1 2019.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2019/05/11/from-the-editor-may-12-2019/

Message 71 of 97
latest reply

Hoping it picks up for us all...I am worried..really worried about the huge lack of sales this month so far...

Message 72 of 97
latest reply

perhaps the strangest for me, had an item posted, got a bid, buyer retracted, 9 watchers, ended no sale. Relist, 9 watchers, no sale. I raised the price this week and will lower it toward the end of the week. I sold one previously at this price and it's an older stock item that can't easily be found.

I had no sales at all from April 19 to May 5th and then that was one to Denmark. Had to go out and buy something I don't normally sell to get another sale May 10th.
Message 73 of 97
latest reply

I sell on multiple platforms. I find that Amazon prices are often more expensive than what I can buy on Ebay even with their "free shipping". As a seller the prices on Amazon have to be increased because their fees are even worse than Ebay. The items I sell here and on Amazon, well I sell it on Amazon for almost twice the price to make the same measly profit.
Message 74 of 97
latest reply

Unfortunately free returns option is useless as the buyers already know just to say it is "Not as Described" and you have to pay for the return.
Message 75 of 97
latest reply