cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guitar sales - Do strings matter

I have a guitar to sell and un-strung it to give it a proper cleaning before photography.  Will restringing it increase potential sale value, or just wasting time?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think it will increase potential sale value and increase the likelihood for selling it. It will make better pics with the strings and people like to see an item operational. Take pics with it in a guitar stand and decent back drop for lighting. A collector will know the value with strings or without, but others are just looking for a cool guitar to play music with so you hit both potential buyers. Good Luck

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If I were to buy a guitar I would need it to have strings. Otherwise to me a guitar without strings is useless. But that’s my opinion.  

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I know nothing about guitars, but I agree with @ebooksdiva 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

It depends on the type of guitar, the style of music and the knowledge of the musician playing the guitar. Good musicians will want to string their own guitar and with their favorite string. Amateur guitar players will probably want the guitar with strings. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I have never sold a guitar but strings are cheap and a buyer who is a player  would probably replace the old strings anyways so I don't know if it will matter much. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I think it will increase potential sale value and increase the likelihood for selling it. It will make better pics with the strings and people like to see an item operational. Take pics with it in a guitar stand and decent back drop for lighting. A collector will know the value with strings or without, but others are just looking for a cool guitar to play music with so you hit both potential buyers. Good Luck

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@greeh70 wrote:

I have a guitar to sell and un-strung it to give it a proper cleaning before photography.  Will restringing it increase potential sale value, or just wasting time?

I would absolutely spend the $8 and 8 minutes to put new strings on it before taking pictures and listing it.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Just to add what has already been said about selling a guitar with strings.

Don't just add strings and leave them loose. Be sure to bring it up to close to tune. String also serve another function of keeping tension on the neck. Leaving a guitar unstrung for a period of time can cause some issues with the neck of the guitar.

The strings pull the neck forward under a considerable amount of tension and keeping that tension on the neck is important for keeping things in their current spot.

Wood is a natural material and due to changes in temperature and humidity it will do what wood does. Change shape.

I've known some players that actually change strings by removing one string at a time and bringing the new string up to tune before moving onto the next. Seems extreme, but something to think about.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

But - FGS loosen the strings before shipping it.

Please.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@greeh70 

Tagging along with @toomuchstuffagain35  I would at least loosen them so that they don't pop in transit.  Another thing to consider is that person may want to use different strings depending on the type of guitar.  Electric, acoustic, classical, slack key tuning? If it were me I would add the strings and then let the customer go from there once they receive the guitar. 

Good luck to you selling it!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Yes.  Make sure that it's clean and re-string it.  Buyers do not like to do extra work. If you want top dollar, you must do the work. (clean, etc.)

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

String it up for your photos.  When you ship, keep it strung but lower the tuning so it isn't under string tension during shipping.  Buyers of guitars expect strings, even junk strings.  If you sell without them, you will most likely get a complaint.  I am a player and buyer of plenty of guitars.  Even If I plan (usually do) on restringing them to a string that gives me the sound I like, I expect the guitar to come with strings.  Even if I don't use them, it is nice to have some junk strings in my case for the unexpected string break.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

But - FGS loosen the strings before shipping it.

Please.

What is the purpose of loosening the strings prior to shipping? I don't see the reason for this, but perhaps there is a good one. Seems like if you loosened them too much they'd slap on the body of the guitar and cause potential finish damage.

I've shipped and received dozens of guitars and I've never loosened the strings. Nothing bad has ever happened as a result either.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@greeh70 

Tagging along with @toomuchstuffagain35  I would at least loosen them so that they don't pop in transit.  Another thing to consider is that person may want to use different strings depending on the type of guitar.  Electric, acoustic, classical, slack key tuning? If it were me I would add the strings and then let the customer go from there once they receive the guitar. 

Good luck to you selling it!

What would cause them to pop in transit? If it's in a good fitting case, I don't see how they would pop in transit. In fact, broken strings are pretty rare unless there are other issues at play. At least steel strings...

Message 14 of 14
latest reply