cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guaranteed Deliveries Opted me into Automated Returns

So, I wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else has had this issue, and secondly let everyone know of my experience!

I was notified a moment ago that a buyer had requested a return on one of my items for it not fitting.  Not a big deal, it happens.  Then I notice in the same notification that it had been automatically approved - "Per ebay's policy, return has been approved" - is the exact verbage.  I have never signed up for automated returns, because it doesn't give me a chance to try and save the sale.  I want contact with my buyers not robot approvals.  

So I call ebay, trying to figure out what has happened.  The CS was great, and we figured out under my return settings, that when I opted into Guaranteed Delivery, it had created an automated return "rule" for all listings purchased with Guaranteed Delivery.  I immediately turned it off.

I don't recall when I signed up for Guaranteed Delivery, that automated returns were part of it.  I would hope that I would have at least seen a checkbox somewhere.  Either way, has anyone else had the issue?  Am I crazy and missed it when signing up?  Are the eBay Gremlins clicking boxes while we are asleep?

(Sorry for double post!  Originally didn't post in discussion boards)

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@jklfindings  Have not had that happen because I have never Opted IN to Garaunteed Delivery ... BUT, learned the hard way that Promoted Listings come with Free Returns ... I guess I have to figure out where THAT buried setting is to change it ... of course I suspect that my Promoted listing will drop to the bottom of the list but that's just conjecture, huh?!?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I just got a return request that was approved automatically by eBay.  Buyer claimed "wrong item sent", but the buyer got exactly what was described and what was imaged (books with ISBNs, front, back, copyright page).  I asked the buyer to confirm that what she got is what she ordered and she just came back with a terse, I want what I ordered.  If she had just said, oops, not what I thought, not what I wanted, no problem.  However, because she won't even compare images with item, I'm asking her to return at my cost.

But, I never signed up for auto returns or guaranteed delivery.  How do I un-sign up for these?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@lost-lizard-trading-company wrote:

I just got a return request that was approved automatically by eBay.  Buyer claimed "wrong item sent", but the buyer got exactly what was described and what was imaged (books with ISBNs, front, back, copyright page).  I asked the buyer to confirm that what she got is what she ordered and she just came back with a terse, I want what I ordered.  If she had just said, oops, not what I thought, not what I wanted, no problem.  However, because she won't even compare images with item, I'm asking her to return at my cost.

But, I never signed up for auto returns or guaranteed delivery.  How do I un-sign up for these?

Sorry this happened to you!  I think you would need to go to your site preferences and that it would be there under your selling options.

I seem to recall that when they announced Gauranteed Delivery, they said you would also be in the auto returns program.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

i have nothing checked and still get the **bleep** requests ebay can shove the whole returns process up there butt cracks how do i fix this **bleep** let me know please this is pissing me off waisting my money on returns shipping when in fact when getting items back they work perfect as they should 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I do not think what you described is part of the guaranteed delivery program?  The auto accept for returns is part of the summer 2018 seller update.

Click here to review this info

Good Luck Selling!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@lost-lizard-trading-company wrote:

Here is the path to checking if your account is opted in or not

You can opt out at any time by navigating to

• Account Settings 
  • Site Preferences 
  • eBay Guaranteed Delivery Setting.
  • Click "Show," then "Edit".
  •  select "I want to opt out of eBay Guaranteed Delivery," and
  • click "Continue."
  • You may opt back in at any time.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

To turn off auto return approvals:

In Site Preferences find Returns. Go into Returns and on the right side there is a pull down called Actions.  Turn it off there.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

I do not think what you described is part of the guaranteed delivery program?  The auto accept for returns is part of the summer 2018 seller update.

Good Luck Selling!

The post you are replying to is from the fall of 2017 so it wouldn't be affected by that 2018 update.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The only way to stop the automatic returns that I know of is to require a RMA for returns. I think that returns may still be automatic with an RMA but then you get a day or two to discuss the return with the buyer before a label is issued.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

The post you are replying to is from the fall of 2017 so it wouldn't be affected by that 2018 update.

Well that makes sense.  After reading your post I wondered if eBay had guaranteed deliveries in 2017 and it appears they did.  Here is a link to the official announcement  -  Click Here

Good Luck Selling!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I keep getting charged for return labels that never get used because ebay does not give me the chance to just refund anymore. Fine. They want to make the process more difficult for the buyer and I -- no problem. If I'm getting charged then I'm taking my item back and the buyer will have to wait up to a week for a refund.  

Message 12 of 12
latest reply