cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got ripped off on a return...conflicting info from ebay

I had a return request where the buyer bought headphones and felt that there we too tight, and then also complained about the price being much higher than what the manufactuer sells for 9I sold it for what ebay gets for it, so to be that's a non-issue).  He claimed that there were unused, but as far as I am concerned an item is used as soon as its opened.  I explained to him in accordance with ebay policy I will deduct a large amount from his refund for returning a used item which according to what the item condition policy says you can not do.  Explained to him the money back guarantee does not cover buyer remorse.  He somehow got the original return closed and opened up a case, and while it said the case doesn't effect my seller performance the only option is to give him a full refund which according to the policy he is not entitled to.

After complaining to ebay the rep tells me that they cover first time use and I can only take that deduction if the item arrives damaged or if they give me a different item.  What???  The policy specifically says the item must be unused and it the condition I sold it in.  There should be no grey area here.  If it has to be unused it has to be unused period.  As soon as a seal is broken, if it is a sealed item, it immediately becomes used.  The first time I used this policy the rep was in line with my position, but now this rep tells me something different.  The first rep even told me if they side with the buyer ebay is liable for that money, not me.  What is the truth here?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Got ripped off on a return...conflicting info from ebay

I never said I wouldn't honor the return.  He can return it for any reason yes, but as the item condition return policy states, which I confirmed with the 3rd rep I talked to today (and he confirmed that the 2nd rep was wrong as well as others chiming in on this thread) I am entitled to take anywhere up to 50% of the refund if I do not get it back in the same condition I sold it in.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Would I get a strike?  Cause the email I got from ebay when he asked ebay to step in said it would not affect my seller status.  Maybe I should ask that question when I call back to appeal.  the person i spoke to was in member to member appeals so hopefully he gave me the correct info.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I understand you have suffered a loss here due to the item being opened; that much is certain.  

I believe a Blue stated that Ebay considers that if it is something that has to be opened for the buyer to use to determine functionality, then it is acceptable that the item be returned if the buyer deems it necessary.

I don't know that one would consider headphones being "too tight" as an issue for return, then also the buyer questioned your price~but you offer free returns so you accept returns, and you can refund 50% due to them being opened.     

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@nfuchs wrote:

Would I get a strike?  Cause the email I got from ebay when he asked ebay to step in said it would not affect my seller status.  Maybe I should ask that question when I call back to appeal.  the person i spoke to was in member to member appeals so hopefully he gave me the correct info.

That is odd, you do get a strike since he asked eBay to step in and the decision not in your favor. Anytime eBay is asked to step in and you lose, you get a strike. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Then I guess i better appeal since the rep told me what the last rep told me is incorrect and I had every right to take the deduction I guess the mistake I made was telling the buyer I was going to.  Obviously he didn't like that and complained.  But according to that policy, if they side with the buyer ebay foots the bill so what they did was definitely wrong so I'll be appealing it when I get the item.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@nfuchs wrote:

I never said I wouldn't honor the return. 

I never said that you said that you wouldn't honor the return.

If you go back and re-read my post, I was responding to one specific statement in your post. That is why I quoted just that one specific statement, and even put in bold red text to emphasize what I was responding to. 

You said you told your buyer that "the money back guarantee does not cover buyer remorse".  I said that was simply not true, becaue you offered eBay returns and the eBay returns policy specifically states that remorse returns are covered. 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply