cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good til Cancelled a tremendously bad idea for seasonal merchandise!

It amazes when an ebay VP (without a last name, just "Harry", comes up with an idea - seemingly without asking any ebay sellers what they think and how it would affect their business - and ultimately stop them from selling on ebay.  I sell mostly seasonal merchandise, so is ebay going to continue to list Christmas ornaments in the summer and beach towels in the winter though good til cancelled?  There is a point where the season is over, ebay.  Please allow us to sell, stop coming up with "automatic" ideas or you will lose more and more business. 

This rule makes not sense whatsoever, all retail is seasonal.  I tried good til cancelled once and this listing is counted in my allotment every month.  Will never do it again!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Simple. When the "season" is over, cancel those listings.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@thelittlebluehippo wrote:

It amazes when an ebay VP (without a last name, just "Harry", comes up with an idea - seemingly without asking any ebay sellers what they think and how it would affect their business - and ultimately stop them from selling on ebay.  I sell mostly seasonal merchandise, so is ebay going to continue to list Christmas ornaments in the summer and beach towels in the winter though good til cancelled?  There is a point where the season is over, ebay.  Please allow us to sell, stop coming up with "automatic" ideas or you will lose more and more business. 

This rule makes not sense whatsoever, all retail is seasonal.  I tried good til cancelled once and this listing is counted in my allotment every month.  Will never do it again!

I agree with @obojoekn    This is a very easy solution for you.  How did you handle the off season listings in the past?

Good Luxk Selling!

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

All retail is seasonal.

BUT not on Ebay!  That is the beauty of Ebay~you can get anything you want at any time!  That is a HUGE advantage that Ebay has over regular retail.  There are many sellers that sell anything at any time, and items can sell at any time and they enjoy VERY healthy sales because of this!  

There are people who buy in advance of holidays, who buy clothing out of season due to traveling, or just to be ready early.  Some collect.

I bought an Easter item from a seller who had a very intriguing mix of items, Halloween, Christmas, Superhero, Judaeica, Easter, etc.  I checked her completeds and she has a STR that would astonish many and the item sold before my purchase was a Halloween item!

In short, anything can sell at any time.  If you don't want to sell out of season, your choice, then you can cancel.

There are no seasonal barriers on Ebay.  

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@thelittlebluehippo wrote:

I have to agree with everyone else.  Just bulk cancel your listings when the season is over.  Easy peasy. 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Please allow us to sell, stop coming up with "automatic" ideas or you will lose more and more business. 

As stated you can cancel if you feel it is necessary, but with all due respect, you may be losing business due to following retail seasons when there may be advantage to selling outside of the constraints of retail season.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

All retail is seasonal.

BUT not on Ebay!  That is the beauty of Ebay~you can get anything you want at any time!  That is a HUGE advantage that Ebay has over regular retail.  There are many sellers that sell anything at any time, and items can sell at any time and they enjoy VERY healthy sales because of this!  

There are people who buy in advance of holidays, who buy clothing out of season due to traveling, or just to be ready early.  Some collect.

I bought an Easter item from a seller who had a very intriguing mix of items, Halloween, Christmas, Superhero, Judaeica, Easter, etc.  I checked her completeds and she has a STR that would astonish many and the item sold before my purchase was a Halloween item!

In short, anything can sell at any time.  If you don't want to sell out of season, your choice, then you can cancel.

There are no seasonal barriers on Ebay.  

Exactly.  I sell seasonal all year round because buyers buy seasonal all year round.  I sell more seasonal right before the actual holidays, yes, but I've sold things more than six months in advance of a holiday.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Hi @yuzuha 

You and I are often on the same page!  You're right that you will see a bump in sales as you approach the actual season, but those things can sell VERY well at any time of the year!  Selling outside of the season is a tool that can be used very successfully for both buyers and sellers!  

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

last name in the title:

Good ‘Til Cancelled Update from Harry Temkin, VP of Seller Experience

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

last name in the title:

Good ‘Til Cancelled Update from Harry Temkin, VP of Seller Experience

Thank you, was going to check on that because I recalled a last name there!

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories 

Especially when you have a lot of people who collect various and sundry things related to holidays and aren't necessarily searching for them for seasonal decorating reasons; they're looking to add to their collection.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

What I believe what @thelittlebluehippo is trying to say is that this forced GTC stinks big time! If you forget that your listing is rolling over, or you have an emergency in the family, if you have a two jobs, life, etc. and can’t sit around and watch every item until it is about to hit the mark and cancel it.  It just is another money grab by ebay.  I keep hearing how it is going to help with sales because it keeps the history, but not when everyone is cancelling the item before it relists because they have used the store allotment for the month.  Most sellers, including myself, like to look at the items before I relist and see if I want to wait until my next store subscription renewal.  They are taking away this choice from us.  I believe this is what @thelittlebluehippo is trying to convey. 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@castlemagicmemories 

Especially when you have a lot of people who collect various and sundry things related to holidays and aren't necessarily searching for them for seasonal decorating reasons; they're looking to add to their collection.

@yuzuha 

Yes, you expanded on that, thank you, which is good and needed.  I simply said, some collect, but as you know there are a lot of people who do that.  There may also be people who just love a particular holiday and all of a sudden get an urge to look at and possibly buy things for that holiday even though we may be far from it.  I've bought Christmas things in the summer!  I understand that Christmas and Halloween are really desirable among collectors.  

I recall there was a post by a buyer who said to another poster, I wish I had known about your ornaments.  I wanted to buy some but it was out of season, and I said Ebay was better than retail that sticks to specific seasons, you can buy whatever you want here at any time, and she said she wished she had known that sooner!

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

It takes less than five minutes to look at your listings and see which ones are ending today.  Anything that is ending in the next 24 hours will have its Time Left displayed in red, making it very easy to see.  I take a quick peek before I go off to work in the morning to see what is going to be ending that day, look at the number of views and watchers and then and decide whether or not I want to relist it.

And you SHOULD be checking in every day anyway to see if you have messages/sales, make sure you haven't gotten any zombie relists, etc.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Yes, you expanded on that, thank you, which is good and needed.  I simply said, some collect, but as you know there are a lot of people who do that.  There may also be people who just love a particular holiday and all of a sudden get an urge to look at and possibly buy things for that holiday even though we may be far from it.  I've bought Christmas things in the summer!  I understand that Christmas and Halloween are really desirable among collectors.

Yes, I have several friends who love Halloween stuff!  They'll buy it at any time of the year if they see something they like.  One of my friends owns a black cat and so she's always on the lookout for stuff with black cats on it, which is usually Halloween-related merchandise.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply