cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glendale heights, il

My parcel has been stuck in Glendale Heights for two weeks, apparently undergoing inspection 

it’s going to Ireland 

why so long?

been there since April 4, delivery date May 2

inspection for what?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Glendale heights, il

We’ve had multiple orders stop at the hub in glendale heights, then a few weeks later we get a notice that the package was undeliverable. In most cases, the dimensions of the package exceeded the new limits. The system is still allowing folks overseas to buy things that fall outside the new parameters. 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

This is rediculous, I’m having the same problem from the UK, I’m in Ireland, bought three writing slopes and all of them are marked as undeliverable.

im done with eBay 😞

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

This was/is one of my concerns with the EIS program and the reason I opted out of the international market before eBay and EIS started the unilateral transition. While the program offers some great seller protections, that eBay and the contractor appear to be standing behind for the moment, the program was simply too new and too much of a change for me to take the risk. In addition the EIS contractor is a Chinese based company that has a unproven track record in logistical operations. Pitney Bowes, who ran the GSP for eBay, was/is a well established world leader in logistical operations. 

There are a couple of major pieces with regards to using the EIS and unfortunately the first falls to the seller. Given the EIS restrictions on size, weight and merchandise it is probably both during the transition and for any new listings that the package size, weight and item category were/are correct in the listings. If those were incorrect it would probably not have prevented the sale of the item, the use of EIS or the initial shipment of the package to the EIS hub. However, once it arrived at the EIS hub this could have caused an issue if the package did not qualify under the size, weight and merchandise restrictions the EIS program has in place. 

The second piece is on eBay and EIS. If the seller has all the information correct in the listings as far as size, weight and merchandise eBay and EIS need to prevent the item from being listed using EIS as the shipping method and offer the seller other alternatives for selling the item internationally. 

The other concern I have with the EIS program is at any point in time eBay and EIS have the option/ability to alter and change the policy with regards to the seller protections under EIS without prior notification to the sellers. From watching this program closely they have already done this on multiple occasions not with regards to the seller protections but to other aspects of the program. Following are some of the current restrictions of the EIS program, most of which the GSP did NOT have. The restricted items list has already been modified a number of times and continues to grow and change and some are a bit ambiguous. 

The following requirements apply to items shipped through eBay International Shipping:

• Items are physically located in the US and listed on eBay.com
  • Items are eligible for export and the cost doesn't exceed $2500 USD
  • Packages should not exceed:
    • 44 lbs. billable weight for every country except Canada (maximum billable weight for Canada is 66 lbs.)
    • 48 inches in length, 118 inches in length + girth (Girth = 2 x width + 2 x height)

Transaction limits may apply to some accounts. Read our full list of seller terms and conditions to find out more about eBay International Shipping program requirements.

Restricted items and categories

Items included in eBay's hazardous, restricted or regulated materials policy, or that don't follow our International trading policy, can't be shipped using eBay International Shipping.

Due to export limitations and restrictions, items listed in the following categories also can't be shipped with eBay International Shipping. This is not an exhaustive list and it may be updated based on transportation regulations and export laws.

• Any category or items containing Radium or other radioactive materials
  • Dangerous goods requiring hazardous handling labels & documentation
  • Export-controlled items requiring license > Ex. Military vehicle parts
  • Business & Industrial > Heavy equipment & attachments
  • Collectibles > Knives, swords & blades
  • eBay Motors > Airbags, used parts (containing hazardous residue), AC refrigerant, vehicle paint (flammable)
  • Electronics > Standalone lithium batteries (not inside or with a device)
  • Electronics > High-power lithium battery devices (over 100 watt-hour)
  • Electronics > Drones
  • Health & Beauty > Fragrances (flammable perfumes & cologne)
  • Flammable or otherwise hazardous aerosols
  • Jewelry > High value
  • Personal security > Pepper spray, stun guns, handcuffs
  • Sporting goods > Other (CO2 cartridges, firearm parts, laser scopes)
  • Replica firearms > Prop guns
  • Stamps, coins & paper money

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

Thanks for the info x

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

@sho.ie.hew0zmjs3j wrote:

My parcel has been stuck in Glendale Heights for two weeks, apparently undergoing inspection 

it’s going to Ireland 

why so long?

Keep in mind that tracking scans show where an item has been, not where it is.  There's a possibility that your item has moved on but the updated tracking information hasn't made it to eBay's database.

Since your item isn't considered late until after 2 May, there really isn't much point in checking the tracking slavishly until just before then, in my opinion.  Knowing where your item is or isn't doesn't make any difference to how quickly it arrives or its condition.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

In addition the EIS contractor is a Chinese based company that has a unproven track record in logistical operations. Pitney Bowes, who ran the GSP for eBay, was/is a well established world leader in logistical operations. 

Interesting, @dbfolks166mt.  I still see Pitney Bowes as a postage meter company struggling to stay relevant in the digital age.  I don't think it had much experience in global logistics prior to the inception of the GSP  as the logistics company it had purchased around that time hadn't been in its stable for all that long.

Where did you hear about the eIS contractor being a new Chinese-based operation?

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

There are a couple of major pieces with regards to using the EIS and unfortunately the first falls to the seller. Given the EIS restrictions on size, weight and merchandise it is probably both during the transition and for any new listings that the package size, weight and item category were/are correct in the listings. If those were incorrect it would probably not have prevented the sale of the item, the use of EIS or the initial shipment of the package to the EIS hub. However, once it arrived at the EIS hub this could have caused an issue if the package did not qualify under the size, weight and merchandise restrictions the EIS program has in place. 

The second piece is on eBay and EIS. If the seller has all the information correct in the listings as far as size, weight and merchandise eBay and EIS need to prevent the item from being listed using EIS as the shipping method and offer the seller other alternatives for selling the item internationally. 

I don't think it's "unfortunate" that sellers using the eIS should be ensuring that their items are compliant with the terms and restrictions of the program.  From my perspective as a Canadian buyer, one of the weaknesses of the GSP was that sellers had no terms and conditions to which to agree or adhere and some sellers took a "send it off and forget about it" attitude when it came to using the GSP.   With all the perks that eIS has, I think it's only fair that sellers take a bit more responsibility for their shipments in exchange.

eBay can't prevent mostly but not completely compliant items from being listed because the site operates on a category basis.  Human beings may know the specifics of the item being listed, but more often than not, the "bots" dealing with eIS only have category information to work with.  The GSP was a learning curve for sellers who took more than a passing interest in using it, and eIS is going to be the same.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

Interesting, @dbfolks166mt.  I still see Pitney Bowes as a postage meter company struggling to stay relevant in the digital age.  I don't think it had much experience in global logistics prior to the inception of the GSP  as the logistics company it had purchased around that time hadn't been in its stable for all that long.

A little history about Pitney Bowes. They are FAR from struggling and they have been around long before the GSP program and have innovated and grown with the changing market place. A lot of their growth has been through acquisitions but they were in the logistics business well before they began supporting the GSP program. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitney_Bowes 

Where did you hear about the eIS contractor being a new Chinese-based operation? 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Used-Easyship-for-international-shipping-from-US-Your-opinion... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easyship 

I don't think it's "unfortunate" that sellers using the eIS should be ensuring that their items are compliant with the terms and restrictions of the program.  From my perspective as a Canadian buyer, one of the weaknesses of the GSP was that sellers had no terms and conditions to which to agree or adhere and some sellers took a "send it off and forget about it" attitude when it came to using the GSP.   With all the perks that eIS has, I think it's only fair that sellers take a bit more responsibility for their shipments in exchange.

Agree and I do not consider it to be "unfortunate" so maybe a bad choice of words but my point was sellers have some responsibility with regards to the content of their listings and the accuracy of the information. As for taking advantage of the GSP I have no data to support any statements about how well the GSP worked or didn't work or whether the sellers were taking a send and forget approach. 

eBay can't prevent mostly but not completely compliant items from being listed because the site operates on a category basis.  Human beings may know the specifics of the item being listed, but more often than not, the "bots" dealing with eIS only have category information to work with.  The GSP was a learning curve for sellers who took more than a passing interest in using it, and eIS is going to be the same.

Agree to some extent and given all the export and import laws as well as carrier restrictions the bots are not going to catch everything and some are easier than others to block from EIS where the categorization is general. I.E. stamps, coins and paper money, drones, knives, swords and blades for example. Others may slip through and not get caught till they get to the hub. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

A little history about Pitney Bowes. They are FAR from struggling and they have been around long before the GSP and have innovated and grown with the changing market place. A lot of their growth has been through acquisitions but they were in the logistics business well before they began supporting the GSP. 

https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/PBI/Probability-Of-Bankruptcy

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Used-Easyship-for-international-shipping-from-US-Your-opinion... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easyship 

Interesting how you directed me to a thread that's over four years old to suggest that EasyShip is a "new" venture.  It's not as though it's new to eBay; it's been involved in other capacities.  Anyway, I tend to find Wikipedia articles on companies and corporations to be pretty incomplete with their information.  This page sheds a bit more light on EasyShip's operations:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/04/27/easyship-ebay/

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

I was wondering too how a thread from 2018 about easyship relates to the EIS.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

Pitney-Bowes not struggling?????

Check out their share price, it hasn't been this low in FORTY years.

slippinjimmy_0-1682632597907.png

At the current share price they pay a very nice dividend, it's doubtful they will be able to maintain the dividend. Right now they are involved in a major proxy fight and a battle over the current Board of Directors.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

Not sure if you got your packages in the end. I was the same and just reported it missing as I had no updates. The item was a small slabbed comic book and was just over $1600.

The thing is, it was sent with some other comic books that made it to the UK with no issues. This one was definitely opened and someone has taken/kept it as they realised it’s a high value book. 

It looks as though I’ll be refunded but it’s just a pain. 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

Just my opinion.

I wouldn't even worry about it.

As long as the  package got to Glendale Heights on time, that's all you need to be concerned with.

After that it's not your responsibility.  It's ebay's responsibility.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

dbfolks166mt_0-1685529500002.png

Thanks for the great stock tip I will have to pickup a few hundred shares of their stock. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Glendale heights, il

@inhawaii is correct.   As long as your package made it there, you're in the clear.
However, if tracking shows it "delivered to agent for final delivery" instead of just "delivered"?  And, the buyer creates an issue?   You may have to actually talk to somebody at eBay to get it straightened out.
  I've had that happen several times with USPS.   Had to contact eBay in the end to get it fixed.
If you ship with UPS or FedEx, they just show Delivered and all is fine.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply